Narrow boat draught

Kendorr

Featured Posts

I was surprised when KenDorR was out of the water to find the draft is 28", I had thought it was 24"

Will anybody who knows tell me what their draft is, and also if they have any problems with the depth of particular canals?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

17 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

33" - only an issue at the edges.

Advantageous when it's windy but not possible to do the Ribble Link due to CRT restrictions (max 2'3")

Joanie M is 30 inches but Ribble Link was no problem.

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The only place I've ever seen draft checked, along with a lot of other dimensions, was to go through the Standedge Tunnel.

Jen

I don’t think it will let you book the Ribble link if the boat dimensions are outside the parameters.  Doubt anyone is going to measure the actual boat though.

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I don’t think it will let you book the Ribble link if the boat dimensions are outside the parameters.  Doubt anyone is going to measure the actual boat though.

Yes, the on-line booking has a "computer says no" thing if dimensions, hull material, propulsion fuel, or whatever are outside the allowed for the trip, but these are self reported to CaRT and often wrong on their database, usually through fumble fingered data entry. Standedge uses this too when you try and book, but they do physically check as well when you get there.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Close to 3 feet.

No problems anywhere, except tying up away from busy places, the middle of nowhere or The Shroppie shelf.

Although only 35' long the depth makes her stable in most conditions.  She stays where you put her and if waiting for another boat to clear a lock I don't need to go into the bank, I can just sit in the middle of the cut and wait.

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yes, the on-line booking has a "computer says no" thing if dimensions, hull material, propulsion fuel, or whatever are outside the allowed for the trip, but these are self reported to CaRT and often wrong on their database, usually through fumble fingered data entry. Standedge uses this too when you try and book, but they do physically check as well when you get there.

Jen

Air draft and hull?

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Air draft and hull?

Too tall, or wide at the roof level and it won't fit through. Hull material can only be metal, or wood. No fibreglass, due to the projecting rocks in the walls underwater. No petrol engines, 'cause CO poisoning, or fire and everyone dies.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Also about 33" you find the shallow bits of you stray from the channel in certain places, but for most places you have no problems at all, we have been basically everywhere on the system with her and yet to find somewhere we don't fit.

Daniel

4 hours ago, Kendorr said:

I was surprised when KenDorR was out of the water to find the draft is 28", I had thought it was 24"

Will anybody who knows tell me what their draft is, and also if they have any problems with the depth of particular canals?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Mine is a 70' Orion tug, the draft at the back is 32", a bit less at the front.

Obviously I can't use the 'northern canals' but of those which I have used, only the Ashby has given me problems and that was in a 'low water' year.

Thanks folks, feel a bit better about it now. Hoping my ring next year will include Macclesfield, Peak Forest, Huddersfield, so the Standedge tunnel. Obviously this is dependent on Figure of three locks on the Aire and Calder being back in use.

Macclesfield has a defined channel in places, but the fuel boats keep it deep enough.

Huddersfieldwe had no issues with at all except the base of one lock in a very heavily tree covered area where there was a lot of soft mud, but a bit of shutting got us in fine.

Standedge tunnel has no issue with depth certainly at your depth we where fine.

As you are no deeper than is common, it will all work fine, the depth being maintained by other boats. Some of the historic boats when loaded can have close to another foot of draft, that's when you start finding everything, have to have CRT in speed dial, and start limiting where you go.

Enjoy.

Daniel