BBQ destroys narrowboat

booke23

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There is no cure for 'stupid' and unfortunatley folks rarely learn from the mistakes of others.

Indeed. 

Shockingly, from that photo it looks like the BBQ might have actually been inside the boat. :banghead:

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is there a link to the incident? The first one took me to the BSS site and I couldnt open the others

Not that I can find. It only happened last night so there may be a full story somewhere in due course.  

The Google photo Docklands and East London Advertiser uses in that link is singularly unuseful, showing a bit of dark and somewhat out of focus river with a couple of craft in the distance almost out of shot. The "Keep Campaigning Local Journalism Alive" banner won't get them far if that's the standard - I can't see why they bothered.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Greenie 3

22 minutes ago, Ally said:

Happened on the 4th November according to that article. So not ‘Last night’ as mentioned in todays CRT tweet.

42 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I couldnt open a link to the photo

Here’s a (slightly) better version.  

image.jpeg.075fafec8ab1279b2076c40eed68d3a4.jpeg

Edited by booke23

A sad incident, but I hope they don't use this as an excuse to bring in more "safety" legislation. I use my bbq on the boat (during the summer) in a manner that is totally safe - it sits on a custom-built removable shelf that hangs out over the front foredeck - and the last thing I need is another occurrence of someone telling me I must move it to somewhere less safe such as in the long dry grass on the bank next to the boat.

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Happened on the 4th November according to that article. So not ‘Last night’ as mentioned in todays CRT tweet.

Here’s a (slightly) better version.  

image.jpeg.075fafec8ab1279b2076c40eed68d3a4.jpeg

Bloody Ada.

"Morons" possibly, but nonetheless I hope the occupants are alive and well.

14 minutes ago, Ally said:

What I'm reading in that paper is that the fire was reported at a quarter to midnight and, with 3 fire engines and 15 firefighters in attendance, the fire was "quickly brought under control" by 0045. The boat is completely destroyed down to the waterline with apparently nothing whatsoever left that could burn.  Since the  barbecue attendees were already clear, this surely begs the question: would anything have been different if everyone had sat and watched? Actually, to be fair to the emergency service, since no-one was in any danger other than the firefighters, perhaps it made good sense that they did!  Shame no-one thought to bring extra sausages...  :giggles:

10 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I use my bbq on the boat (during the summer) in a manner that is totally safe - it sits on a custom-built removable shelf that hangs out over the front foredeck

So do we, but it is purpose built to do that, and its LPG.

No many options when miles out at sea - if there is 'land' available then the sensible thing is to totally minimise the risk and set it up on the bank-side.

IMG_2517.JPG

Edited by Alan de Enfield

5 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

A sad incident, but I hope they don't use this as an excuse to bring in more "safety" legislation. I use my bbq on the boat (during the summer) in a manner that is totally safe - it sits on a custom-built removable shelf that hangs out over the front foredeck - and the last thing I need is another occurrence of someone telling me I must move it to somewhere less safe such as in the long dry grass on the bank next to the boat.

Hopefully not. Although this was a spectacular incident, I imagine it’s quite rare for a BBQ to cause a boat to burn down. Much more danger from Carbon Monoxide, especially from a cooling down charcoal BBQ.  

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I hope it's not near any gas cylinders then. 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So do we, but it is purpose built to do that, and its LPG.

No many options when miles out at sea - if there is 'land' available then the sensible thing is to totally minimise the risk and set it up on the bank-side.

IMG_2517.JPG

I saw something similar on a rail on the back of a cruiser stern Narrowboat, with a petrol generator sitting directly below it

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I saw something similar on a rail on the back of a cruiser stern Narrowboat, with a petrol generator sitting directly below it

Being a 'Lowestoft lad' you may remember those pipes that fell off a boat on their way from Norway to the Middle East. Between 500m and 1000m long they floated with 9/10ths submerged and were a danger to shipping.

The Tugs has an exclusion zone around them so we couldn't get any closer.

I doubt fibreglass as it usually leaves webs of molten muck running into the water where it solidifies.

So an old boat with a wooden top?

It might be a trick of  digital/pixels but it looks to my addled old eyes that it could be a riveted hull.

EmduiKRW8AAML_6.jpg

It's not a matter of being stupid - it's more one of being IGNORANT

There's so much legislation / whatever protecting folks that there's no way of finding out what is sensible and prudent before it's too late.

"If it's on sale it must be safe"......

44 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

It's not a matter of being stupid - it's more one of being IGNORANT

There's so much legislation / whatever protecting folks that there's no way of finding out what is sensible and prudent before it's too late.

"If it's on sale it must be safe"......

So, because BBQ's are for sale means its OK to use them on board a boat , inside a caravan or tent ................ ?