12V 4G route

Strettonman

Featured Posts

I’ve currently got an unlimited data package sim in an old smartphone used as a hotspot when we’re onboard. The signal is often ‘patchy’ so I am wondering whether a proper mobile router would be a better solution.

I’ve currently only got 12v power so I guess I’ll need the right lead/converter if I use a router designed for the home. 
Also are there any tips on getting the best signal (router location, additional external antenna ....) 

My stepson used to use a TP-Link router at  home in rural Ireland  but has now replaced it with a Huawei B525 with two external antenna, it has gone from being just usable to a rock solid connection where he can now stream netflix etc.

The 525 uses less than 2amps @12v I have seen figures of 1amp for power consumption.

I also use one as my internet access at the house and its bombproof.

https://modem.co.uk/product/huawei-b525/

To start the answers rolling and giving the locals a chance to diminish my suggestions:-

1. Get a suitable MiFi unit - there are lots around (but recently folks have stuffed the price on ebay up a bit).

A suitable unit has an aerial socket....

Get a cheap whip aerial that has a magnetic base, with the 'appropriate' connector  to fit the MiFi unit.

Run the lead through an available orifice in the roof (window etc) and connect it to (1) above.

Power up the MiFi indoors and (hopefully) off you go.

If you are a moderate internet user this type of solution works. If you want to do gaming - then I don't want to know - it needs a lot of resource which costs £££££.

If emails, browsing, a bit of video players is all you need then you can do it for a reasonable cost.

I use Huawei units from ebay for around £20 or less from ebay, 12V to 5v power adaptors from ebay. If you're canny, you can do the lot for a reasonable amount.

Examples

Huawei E5573 - £20

Voadafone R216 - but you may have to faff around to get it unlocked - which you can do if you sign up to a short term PAYG deal.

It's a reasonable unit with a nice interface.

Enough.

Others may join in with counter suggestions....

I have Huawei E5172 As-22 4G router with both J45 and BT11 sockets with WiFi as well £26 off Ebay. It comes with AC power supply, but as it is 12v output this was replaced with a 12v to 12v regulator off ebay. 

External Antenna also off ebay, which plugs into the route. A old landline phone is also plugged into the router to make use of the minuites which come with the sim package. Unlimited from Speedy £20 per month

Huawei E5172As-22 router

DC-DC Automatic Voltage Stabilizer 5-32V to 12V 3A 36W Power Converter Regulator

4G /3G LTE Outdoor SMA External Antenna

Edited by nbfiresprite

7 minutes ago, Loddon said:

For the full benefit of 4g LTE you need 2 aerials ?

Yup - if you're going to do lots of things all at once (ie want the remote end to respond instanta) the pend loads of dosh for a massive array of equipment.

For browsing the net, emails, some videos  - you may not need it.

As with most things nowdays it's a matter of degree.

That makes trying to give practical advice so difficult.....

Praps I shouldn't bother....

ps: be careful with antenna plugs / sockets - it's a challenge as to wht fits...

Edited by OldGoat

First check that your mobile phone SIM will actually work in a router (if thats you plan)  I have read that some will not.

A mifi stuck in the window/porthole might well be perfectly adequate for your needs.  A router with internal SIM is bigger so not as easy to get in the window so this pushes you down the external aeriel route. This might well be disappointing as with most simple aeriels what you gain with the aeriel you loose in the cable so it will be more convenient but maybe barely better than putting the router in the window.

A 12 volt router might be happy with about 9v, if so you could use a low cost 12v to 9v adapter, driving the router (or any 12volt electronics) directly off the boat 12 volts carries some risk as the 12v can be a lot higher when battery charging and have some voltage spikes.

.............Dave

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, reg said:

Huweai 5372 router (has ts9 connector sockets) 

Plus

TS9 3G 4G LTE External Antenna £19.99

From a1techstore on ebay 

All very well, but all your data will go straight back to China! 

You could try the Ho'Way, made in Newcastle, not to be confused with the Ha'Way from Sunderland. Sadly, both only work intermittently since the Shipyards closed and Brexit saw off the car plant, but at least ye'll be patriotic like. Why aye. ;)

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:
18 hours ago, reg said:

Huweai 5372 router (has ts9 connector sockets) 

Plus

TS9 3G 4G LTE External Antenna £19.99

From a1techstore on ebay 

All very well, but all your data will go straight back to China! 

Hadaway man! 

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I think that relies on the network using MIMO, (multiple in, multiple out, IIRC). Last time I checked, a few years ago, they didn’t.

They do now, but it's easy to get suitable 4G MIMO aerials for the routers.