Builder XR&D

stevencarr29

Featured Posts

Murray built my Mel too I believe. ? it originally had a different name but it never really got fitted by the guy I bought it from, so, um yes, it was a bit of a major project, after taking it back to sprayfoam and ballast. Still floating obviously,  why wouldn't it be!

Murray, please give my best to the guys at XR&D,  I do miss my regular trips up there!

DSC00894-01.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Ally said:

Murray built my Mel too I believe. ? it originally had a different name but it never really got fitted by the guy I bought it from, so, um yes, it was a bit of a major project, after taking it back to sprayfoam and ballast. Still floating obviously,  why wouldn't it be!

Murray, please give my best to the guys at XR&D,  I do miss my regular trips up there!

DSC00894-01.jpeg

Will do Ally thanks. Yes I did help to build your boat. 

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, MURRAY NORTHAGE said:

Ally. The guys name was Andy think the boat was Shway Shway can't remember the proper Spelling. ?

Mel told me that, while his team were building that eccentric slab-sided eco-boat, one of you noticed its row of little portholes and chalked "Clear glass", "Green glass" and "Brown glass" over them. Do you remember that?

I've never seen that boat around the canals, don't know where it ended up.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Mel told me that, while his team were building that eccentric slab-sided eco-boat, one of you noticed its row of little portholes and chalked "Clear glass", "Green glass" and "Brown glass" over them. Do you remember that?

I've never seen that boat around the canals, don't know where it ended up.

Mike it's the photo above Allys boat

17 hours ago, matty40s said:

Mel has built the last 5 shells that Jim at Oakcraft (Weedon) has fitted out.

Was that a few years ago? I looked up Oakcraft and found that they had closed in 2016, unless that's a different Oakcraft. They had a "Jim": James Birch.

Edited by Athy

47 minutes ago, MURRAY NORTHAGE said:

Ally. The guys name was Andy think the boat was Shway Shway can't remember the proper Spelling. ?

That's right, Shwai Shwai,  I think its Arabic for slowly slowly or similar. Didn't work for me really,  so renamed!

19 minutes ago, Ally said:

That's right, Shwai Shwai,  I think its Arabic for slowly slowly or similar.

Yes an Arabic colloquialism which can mean many things from literally "slow down" to more figurative meanings like "chill out".

I heard it very frequently when I worked in the Middle East.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/arts-culture/comment/what-does-shway-shway-mean-ways-the-arabic-phrase-can-be-used-1.1051910

25 minutes ago, Athy said:

Was that a few years ago? I looked up Oakcraft and found that they had closed in 2016, unless that's a different Oakcraft. They had a "Jim": James Birch.

I found the same, Oakcraft Narrowboat on Companies House was dissolved in Nov 2016.

• 3 years later...

I’ve had my boat built by XR&D. Can’t recommend them enough. Honest blokes, not afraid to tell me when I’m being stupid and always gave sound advice. 

IMG_0180.jpeg

IMG_0175.jpeg

IMG_0173.jpeg

IMG_0174.jpeg

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Interesting prop/rudder arrangement - does it rotate enough to give a stern thruster type push?

Yes. I’ve got it on my existing boat and it steers very well in reverse 

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

Interesting prop/rudder arrangement - does it rotate enough to give a stern thruster type push?

Kort rudder, they work well, a bit different when reversing but you get used to it. Not seen many recent hulls with one though.