Builder XR&D

stevencarr29

Featured Posts

Has anyone used XR&D before? I was pretty wedded to using Tyler Wilson but I have had XR&D suggested to me as a more cost effective solution. I was looking to have a 62' semi-trad with sheerlines built including recessed traditional panels at the stern end.

44 minutes ago, stevencarr29 said:

It was the slipper stern I was particularly interested in

As an ex owner of that type of stern  it does tend to pick up crap from the bottom of shallow canals.

Ours was 20" draught and it collected more than my other (at the time) standard swim narrowboat that was 30".

To be pedantic its not a slipper stern despite what some people say 

These are  mostly slipper sterns  https://tinyurl.com/y38xpc35 apart from one 

Slipper swim would be more accurate.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

We used XR&D for all but 2 of our builds. Good hulls, the guys are flexible if you want particular features, but honest enough to steer you away from anything that wouldn't work. I would be happy to recommend them.

Edited to add 2 photos I have of one of their "slipper" sterns

20062010427.jpg

20062010426.jpg

Edited by Ally

2 hours ago, stevencarr29 said:

Has anyone used XR&D before? I was pretty wedded to using Tyler Wilson but I have had XR&D suggested to me as a more cost effective solution. I was looking to have a 62' semi-trad with sheerlines built including recessed traditional panels at the stern end.

Never used them but they have a good reputation.

15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I found the original R&D shells to have a very flat roof, often distorted.  I don't know if the lads that carry on as XR&D work to the same patterns.

They have a gentle curve. Nothing like the arch of a Liverpool boat roof, i would say about the same arc as a Mel boat, knowing both hulls well.

Heres a typical XR&D semi trad, 57ft in this case. We liked that the stern has a lift to it, personal taste.

15062009163.jpg

2 hours ago, Martin Nicholas said:

Ask for Murray - probably the best welder currently making narrowboats. I'll put a word in for Mel Davis - although me may have retired. 

Mel certainly has not retired! When he built our boat, Murray was working for him - has he moved on to XRD now? 

49 minutes ago, Ally said:

They have a gentle curve. Nothing like the arch of a Liverpool boat roof, i would say about the same arc as a Mel boat, knowing both hulls well.

Heres a typical XR&D semi trad, 57ft in this case. We liked that the stern has a lift to it, personal taste.

15062009163.jpg

That is exactly the look I am after with the swept up sides to the semi-trad stern enclosure. Thanks

1 hour ago, Ally said:

We used XR&D for all but 2 of our builds. Good hulls, the guys are flexible if you want particular features, but honest enough to steer you away from anything that wouldn't work. I would be happy to recommend them.

Edited to add 2 photos I have of one of their "slipper" sterns

20062010427.jpg

20062010426.jpg

Do you think the slipper stern would compromise the engine bay sise  too much if I wanted to put my calorifier in there?

That is exactly the look I am after with the swept up sides to the semi-trad stern enclosure. Thanks

Do you think the slipper stern would compromise the engine bay sise  too much if I wanted to put my calorifier in there?

It doesn't make it easy to work in. We had 2 with this stern, and they caused an amount of swearing!  Both owners loved them, felt it made reversing better, but i can't say they are bad handling anyway. Yes I think you would struggle to fit a calorifier in there, they do change the space considerably.  I will see if I can find an internal photo

Edited to add..with the right configuration,  you could still put a vertical calorifier in, forward of the engine.

Edited by Ally

Right, these are the only photos I can find, one during hull build, apologies for poor quality of photos, one just after insulating. I suppose it depends how you intend to fit the engine area out. We usually created as usable a room as possible, steps to the side bringing you to centre as you went up, engine with removable boxing, electric cupboard, small space infront of engine, and further storage. Battery bank far side of engine to the steps. If you want finished photos,  just ask. But these are the in build 2.

19112009242.jpg

11012010285.jpg

@stevencarr29 Listen to what Ally has to say she knows a lot about boat building and fitting out having run Beacon Boats until exceptional circumstances forced them to close. She's currently fitting out a 20ft boat for occasional use. Beaon Boats always look right and this is due to the XR&D hulls.

Recessed name panel too. I felt XR&D were very reasonable on orice for extras like that. They were standard for us, so it was within our standard costing, thus a consideration. 

PersonAlly I'm not keen on too much rear cabin upsweep like in the photo. Drinks tend to slide down it and become out of reach, also you can't have your cup or glass brim full because of the slant. We had a boat here with even more severe upsweep, it was murder you had to clutch hold of your drinks all the time and it looked dreafully out of propoption with the rest of the boat.

16 minutes ago, bizzard said:

PersonAlly I'm not keen on too much rear cabin upsweep like in the photo. Drinks tend to slide down it and become out of reach, also you can't have your cup or glass brim full because of the slant. We had a boat here with even more severe upsweep, it was murder you had to clutch hold of your drinks all the time and it looked dreafully out of propoption with the rest of the boat.

But, at least on a trad, you are stood within reach of a flat sliding hatch for your drink. On a semi, the control post  has a flat top . We did, on request once, make a specific roof top tray for drinks! ?

Edited by Ally

Our live aboard was R&D with the slipper swim/stern. Reversing seemed to be much more 'steerable' but when towing another boat on cross straps the following boat was all over the place, not at all comfortable for any distance. Also, on ours the engine coolant tank was on one of the slipper angled bits rather than on the hull side - seemed to make no difference, it never overheated, not even on the Thames racing gin palaces! You can just see the radiator on the swim in the internal pic. Rest of the steelwork was good quality, but I was never that impressed with the bows - finance constraints stopped me doing anything about that!

07.jpg.ceb59fe0b92d02b6c707fe6c6acef4a3.jpgDSCF0525.JPG.7f2bda6bfb6d762645e8bf4577481f2e.JPG

On 09/11/2020 at 14:36, Athy said:

Mel certainly has not retired! When he built our boat, Murray was working for him - has he moved on to XRD now? 

Mike. Melv had to let me go in the Recession 2009 the order book was empty. Been at XR&D 11 years now. Hope you're well. 

On 09/11/2020 at 12:07, Martin Nicholas said:

Ask for Murray - probably the best welder currently making narrowboats. I'll put a word in for Mel Davis - although me may have retired. Tim will build your boat if you choose TW, unless they have changed their MO.

Martin I don't know about that statement but can say. There all still afloat. 

15 minutes ago, MURRAY NORTHAGE said:

Mike. Melv had to let me go in the Recession 2009 the order book was empty. Been at XR&D 11 years now. Hope you're well. 

Well hello! What a pleasure to hear from you. We're well, and so is 'Trojan', thanks, still a pleasing shade of purple and still not leaking. The boat, I mean.

I did remember the circumstances of your leaving Mel but didn't feel that it was my place to mention them.

Edited by Athy

On 09/11/2020 at 12:06, stevencarr29 said:

It was the slipper stern I was particularly interested in

On 09/11/2020 at 12:50, Loddon said:

As an ex owner of that type of stern  it does tend to pick up crap from the bottom of shallow canals.

Ours was 20" draught and it collected more than my other (at the time) standard swim narrowboat that was 30".

I can empathise with that, never a problem until we went exploring the BCN, generally first class.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Well hello! What a pleasure to hear from you. We're well, and so is 'Trojan', thanks, still a pleasing shade of purple and still not leaking. The boat, I mean.

I did remember the circumstances of your leaving Mel but didn't feel that it was my place to mention them.

Glad alls well. Still see Melv most weeks. He still builds occasionally. But has a thriving business with Caravan Storage and Certified Location site for Caravan and Camping. I will remember you to him after the Lock down finishes. All the best and take care.