Winter warmer one pot wonders

Ally

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

fatty? Mine were well trimmed and not fatty at all

Mine wernt dont get me wrong I cooked them and then cut the fat of them and they were very tasty and the dogs loved the off cuts but hard work. I will try to find better in the future, the problem is because they have become popular they are now expensive, so I suppose no incentive to trim of the fat?

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Bread proving now next tut squirrel ?

IMG_20201109_142428.jpg

I like squirrel very tasty had it a few times

8 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Mine wernt dont get me wrong I cooked them and then cut the fat of them and they were very tasty and the dogs loved the off cuts but hard work. I will try to find better in the future, the problem is because they have become popular they are now expensive, so I suppose no incentive to trim of the fat?

I like squirrel very tasty had it a few times

Depends on your butcher I suppose, I get mine from our local butcher and have never had a problem, I have some in the freezer at the moment so I might make them this weekend   

19 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Depends on your butcher I suppose, I get mine from our local butcher and have never had a problem, I have some in the freezer at the moment so I might make them this weekend   

Local butcher as well its annoying I thought thats how they came!

4 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

That’s what I cooked for the family Sunday dinner yesterday. I almost only ever cook brisket or a twin rib when doing beef.   Onion, carrots, stock, tomato purée, salt and pepper and the essential ingredient is a big slug of horseradish sauce.

Had a good piece of meat yesterday and cos there’s only three of us at home at the moment there’s plenty left over so I’ll be getting out the vintage spong mincer later on and knocking up a cottage pie for this evening.

And there’s still half a blackberry and apple crumble left over too.

Much easier to do all this in a nice kitchen at home ?

I did wonder if you had a new source of protein when the width of my screen caused the line to break just after ‘slug’ ...

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Huge pot of beef and wine stew made for solstice...and the day after...and the day after....and.....

Used 1.5kg brisket,  with mega amounts of garlic, onion, celery, carrot, leek, courgette,  a bit of red cabbage,  a whole bottle of red wine,  beef stock,  pasatta,  and look herbs and seasoning.  Made it Sunday morning,  left it to blub for 30 hours on the woodburner before eating last night, and tonight,  and tomorrow....and.....with mash. With a bottle of barolo......divine!

Edited by Ally
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Ally said:

Huge pot of beef and wine stew made for solstice...and the day after...and the day after....and.....

Used 1.5kg brisket,  with mega amounts of garlic, onion, celery, carrot, leek, courgette,  a bit of red cabbage,  a whole bottle of red wine,  beef stock,  pasatta,  and look herbs and seasoning.  Made it Sunday morning,  left it to blub for 30 hours on the woodburner before eating last night, and tonight,  and tomorrow....and.....with mash. With a bottle of barolo......divine!

Did you remember the Stilton dumplings?

• 10 months later...
On 22/12/2020 at 20:28, Ally said:

With a bottle of barolo......divine!

I do like a nice Barolo.

My one pot wonders are either a nice Beef Rendang or a couple of good meaty lamb shanks, browned them slow cooked in red wine and orange juice with loads of garlic and rosemary and charlottes or onions then throw in spuds and carrots 20-30 minutes before eating. Can also slow roast them with less liquid in the tray (still with garlic and rosemary of course) and turn that into gravy.

• Greenie 2