Winter warmer one pot wonders

Ally

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Ally said:

Not unless you tell me how to make them!  Please? 

Your preferred dumpling recipe - the one on the Atora suet packet is fine - but we usually put less suet in to allow for the fat in the stilton.  Crumble the stilton into the bowl and mix in the dumpling dough before forming.  It's an excellent way to use up the stilton if you didn't eat it all and it's started to go a bit firm - just finely dice the rind and the hard bit before adding it.

If you want real lusciousness, make a standard dumpling dough with mixed herbs (or just thyme and rosemary for a lamb stew) then firmly mould them around a lump of stilton, a bit like making a scotch egg.  You do need to be very careful in forming the dumplings around the cheese to make sure it's well sealed or the cheese leaks out into the stew, making the dumplings less tasty.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Your preferred dumpling recipe - the one on the Atora suet packet is fine - but we usually put less suet in to allow for the fat in the stilton.  Crumble the stilton into the bowl and mix in the dumpling dough before forming.  It's an excellent way to use up the stilton if you didn't eat it all and it's started to go a bit firm - just finely dice the rind and the hard bit before adding it.

If you want real lusciousness, make a standard dumpling dough with mixed herbs (or just thyme and rosemary for a lamb stew) then firmly mould them around a lump of stilton, a bit like making a scotch egg.  You do need to be very careful in forming the dumplings around the cheese to make sure it's well sealed or the cheese leaks out into the stew, making the dumplings less tasty.

OK thanks,  i now have to find a gluten free dumpling recipe,  which I will, i NEED to try this!

Found one! ?

Edited by Ally

If you want good flavour but cheap, get a big lump of brisket, get some colour on it in a big pan,  remove and bung in onions carrots etc, sit the brisket on the veg, stock, wine, salt, pepper, garlic and your fav herbs, thyme maybe, and simmer for a good long while, keep an eye on the level of fluid.

Serve the meat, make a thick gravy from the cooking liquid and serve with your fav veg

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Are you Celiac? :(

no, but i have eaten grain/gluten free for so many years, when i tried to go back to a little of it, it made me incredibly unwell. I think i would have to reintroduce it very very slowly to cope with it again, but hey, I don't miss it, there are easy alternatives so im not too concerned.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Didn't know you shopped at Morrisons ...

... that producer code is Woodhead Bros at Spalding!

Its the only bloomin sloopermarket that always has em in stock for peanuts. I eat all the decent ones from the pigs here unless Sarah beats me to it and we havnt had any fresh for a month now. Still to be honest even mass produced crap like these are good if done long enough in a drop of cider and honey int slow cooker :cheers:.

27 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Does that mean mine will turn up next April?

That depends on the person who last had them.  I won't name anybody, but they could be in London. Midlands or Scotland, or Delhi.  Or Cheshire, but I don't have the Postcode ...

Assuming she the person with them hasn't sold them again, anyway! :D

Edited by TheBiscuits
Add a bit
  • Greenie 1

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

That depends on the person who last had them.  I won't name anybody, but they could be in London. Midlands or Scotland, or Delhi.  Or Cheshire, but I don't have the Postcode ...

Assuming she the person with them hasn't sold them again, anyway! :D

She'll prolly put 'em up for auction again in December. Dont forget Smelly has a half share in them as well and is not convinced they exist.

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, tree monkey said:

If you want good flavour but cheap, get a big lump of brisket, get some colour on it in a big pan,  remove and bung in onions carrots etc, sit the brisket on the veg, stock, wine, salt, pepper, garlic and your fav herbs, thyme maybe, and simmer for a good long while, keep an eye on the level of fluid.

Serve the meat, make a thick gravy from the cooking liquid and serve with your fav veg

We had this the other weekend the Rayburn is brilliant for it

14 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

Ox/ beef cheeks! Slowly braised in a rich sauce, yum 

James Martin’s recipe (you can get the sherry in Morrisons & Tesco) is lush, dinner party level food:

https://www.itv.com/saturdaymorning/saturday-morning-recipes/ox-cheeks-slow-cooked-in-pedro-ximenez-with-mashed-potato

Trouble is very fatty or mine were dogs loved the offcuts though 

15 hours ago, tree monkey said:

That’s what I cooked for the family Sunday dinner yesterday. I almost only ever cook brisket or a twin rib when doing beef. Onion, carrots, stock, tomato purée, salt and pepper and the essential ingredient is a big slug of horseradish sauce.

Had a good piece of meat yesterday and cos there’s only three of us at home at the moment there’s plenty left over so I’ll be getting out the vintage spong mincer later on and knocking up a cottage pie for this evening.

And there’s still half a blackberry and apple crumble left over too.

Much easier to do all this in a nice kitchen at home ?

17 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I thought I was a half decent cook, but I followed your recipe to the letter, including the bit in bold above, but despite trying all the seasoning in the world it still tasted of paint...

:(

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

That’s what I cooked for the family Sunday dinner yesterday. I almost only ever cook brisket or a twin rib when doing beef. Onion, carrots, stock, tomato purée, salt and pepper and the essential ingredient is a big slug of horseradish sauce.

Had a good piece of meat yesterday and cos there’s only three of us at home at the moment there’s plenty left over so I’ll be getting out the vintage spong mincer later on and knocking up a cottage pie for this evening.

And there’s still half a blackberry and apple crumble left over too.

Much easier to do all this in a nice kitchen at home ?

I do like brisket I cook it in a few different ways but it's got to be long, slow and long  (is it just me or does that sound rude)

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I thought I was a half decent cook, but I followed your recipe to the letter, including the bit in bold above, but despite trying all the seasoning in the world it still tasted of paint...

:(

You used cheap B&Q magnolia emulsion didn't you