Winter warmer one pot wonders

Ally

Featured Posts

As per the title, what are your favourite winter warmer one pot wonders to make?

I've made a Thai (ish) spiced butternut squash soup today, will keep me going a number of nights, and (ok, not fully one pot now) this morning saw me baking gluten free savoury scones of the sun dried tomato and bacon and cheese type, to go with the soup. Made a dozen, so hoping the soup lasts 6 nights! (Doubtful) 

Chilli has to be my other favourite, but i eat mine just over a bowl of shredded lettuce and raw cabbage, with grated cheese on top, weird I know. 

Another favourite is chicken thighs, pan cooked with leek, mushroom, red pepper, in a creamy (sometimes cheesy)sauce. I don't eat much in the way of carbs so I just have that as it is.

So go on, inspire me, things that are either quick, or can be left blubbing on top of the stove.

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

How's about a meat and potato pie...

...over a bowl of shredded lettuce and raw cabbage, with grated cheese on top. 

(Not much help, I know, but it shows I read your post thoroughly!) ;)

Ooh i can't remember when I last had that! And corned beef hash too talking of meat and potato...mmmmmm....with lots of brown sauce!

I made a sort of minestrone earlier - carrots, cabbage, onion, leek, potato fried for a few minutes in a bit of olive oil, chucked in some stock made from last Sunday's roast chicken, a tin of tomatoes, tomato puree, a little garlic, and a kettle full of water thickened it a bit with cornflour, and instead of pasta I added a handful quinoa, lentils and, right at the end a tin of cannellini beans. Went for a long walk along the towpath, came home to a hearty bowl of soup with home-made croutons (that last bit isn't true, I burned some cubes of bread in a frying pan and chucked them out for the birds)

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

I made a sort of minestrone earlier - carrots, cabbage, onion, leek, potato fried for a few minutes in a bit of olive oil, chucked in some stock made from last Sunday's roast chicken, a tin of tomatoes, tomato puree, a little garlic, and a kettle full of water thickened it a bit with cornflour, and instead of pasta I added a handful quinoa, lentils and, right at the end a tin of cannellini beans. Went for a long walk along the towpath, came home to a hearty bowl of soup with home-made croutons (that last bit isn't true, I burned some cubes of bread in a frying pan and chucked them out for the birds)

That's quite a bowel full.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ally said:

As per the title, what are your favourite winter warmer one pot wonders to make?

I've made a Thai (ish) spiced butternut squash soup today, will keep me going a number of nights, and (ok, not fully one pot now) this morning saw me baking gluten free savoury scones of the sun dried tomato and bacon and cheese type, to go with the soup. Made a dozen, so hoping the soup lasts 6 nights! (Doubtful) 

Chilli has to be my other favourite, but i eat mine just over a bowl of shredded lettuce and raw cabbage, with grated cheese on top, weird I know. 

Another favourite is chicken thighs, pan cooked with leek, mushroom, red pepper, in a creamy (sometimes cheesy)sauce. I don't eat much in the way of carbs so I just have that as it is.

So go on, inspire me, things that are either quick, or can be left blubbing on top of the stove.

I oft do a ham hock in the slow cooker, in fact I have one int fridge ready to do over the next day or two. Just taken a loaf of bread out of the oven to cool before slicing. Sourdough loaf tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I oft do a ham hock in the slow cooker, in fact I have one int fridge ready to do over the next day or two. Just taken a loaf of bread out of the oven to cool before slicing. Sourdough loaf tomorrow.

I have no slow cooker but I guess that would slow cook effectively on the woodburner instead,  I do like ham hock, great value. Come to think of it I haven't slow roast a pork shoulder for a long while, which I love with crispy crackling.  

My problem is I've got stuck in a rut through this year. Since the first lockdown he has been doing the shopping,  so I am uninspired and just putting the same old stuff on the list!

Some sort of cheap pork, cut into big lumps ( often use one of those cheap pork shoulder joints the supermarkets sell), lots of chunky lumps of onion, tin of tomatoes, big spoon full of paprika, chilli to taste, good stock, salt and pepper, garlic and a big handful of cumin (big handful)

Bung in a pot, simmer all day

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 2

21 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Some sort of cheap pork, cut into big lumps ( often use one of those cheap pork shoulder joints the supermarkets sell), lots of chunky lumps of onion, tin of tomatoes, big spoon full of paprika, chilli to taste, good stock, salt and pepper, garlic and a big handful of cumin (big handful)

Ooh go on then! But the cumin....how big are your hands???

• Happy 1

25 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Thats why my mooring is so horrible :),........I collect my own fresh duck and hen eggs daily and have first dibs on superb fresh pork that I also help feed!! Its a hard life.

16 minutes ago, Ally said:

Ooh go on then! But the cumin....how big are your hands???

Never measured them, I like cumin and pork, so between a lot and a bit more

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thats why my mooring is so horrible :),........I collect my own fresh duck and hen eggs daily and have first dibs on superb fresh pork that I also help feed!! Its a hard life.

Yeah I would love that, I do normally try to buy decent meat and as often as I can from the local butcher but to be honest this meal just needs cheap fatty meat that survives long slow cooking 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

Shin beef and whatever hard veg you have thrown in the pot, just make sure there's a good mix of veg in it, and always start with the holy trinity of stewing veg - onion, carrot, celery.  Any squash (butternut is excellent),  swede, parsnip, sweet potato, celeriac are all good, but not necessarily at the same time!

Softer veg like mushrooms, sweet peppers, broccoli you need to add on day two.

It won't be ready for two days, so make sure you have something else ready or you'll eat it too early.  Don't make the mistake of getting hungry after the first 12 hours, and if you leave the boat (or house) during the 36/48 hours the smell of it cooking is sheer torture when you come back.

Herby and/or Stilton dumplings, or cheat and make cobblers/scones as you say.

And a few good bottles of red wine: one to reward yourself for doing the prep, one to distract you from the cooking smell tomorrow and one to have with the meal! :D

• Greenie 4

A question - gentlefolk, please (I haven't thought it through).

On dry land My Management loves to cook and occasionally will do a 'big cook' of - whatever - eat some today and FREEZE the rest.

The advantage of this - when cruising - she doesn't have to do a lot of cooking every day - just drag it out of the freezer compartment and bung it in the (gas) oven on a slowish heat while we bash along the waterway(s).

Now. we're unusual in that I deliberately designed a 3/4 height fridge freezer into the initial build - no sense in buying overpriced mini fridges - because folks like acres of one level worktops.

OTOH the Management can buy a fatted calf - if she's minded so to do - and we can enjoy all the meat over a period (OK my wording is a bit OTT - but the principal still applies.

Buying over priced popular cuts is just what the 'shops' want - and we've noticed that recently the quality of produce has diminished recently, because sellers have cannyly  slipped in stuf which is of lower quality / not really ready to sell.

So what do you do and does my argument / thoughts really make sense??

1 hour ago, Ally said:

My problem is I've got stuck in a rut through this year. Since the first lockdown he has been doing the shopping,  so I am uninspired and just putting the same old stuff on the list!

I love browsing and seeing what is on offer so could never do online food shopping.

So far this autumn  I have done several beef stews and a sausage casserole just using whatever veg is in the fridge.

50 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Shin beef etc

Herby and/or Stilton dumplings, or cheat and make cobblers/scones as you say.

And a few good bottles of red wine: one to reward yourself for doing the prep, one to distract you from the cooking smell tomorrow and one to have with the meal! :D

erm....stilton dumplings? I think i love you! We do this for Christmas time usually,  with one bottle of red in the stew, start it going on the 23rd.

44 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

A question - gentlefolk, please (I haven't thought it through).

On dry land My Management loves to cook and occasionally will do a 'big cook' of - whatever - eat some today and FREEZE the rest.

The advantage of this - when cruising - she doesn't have to do a lot of cooking every day - just drag it out of the freezer compartment and bung it in the (gas) oven on a slowish heat while we bash along the waterway(s).

Now. we're unusual in that I deliberately designed a 3/4 height fridge freezer into the initial build - no sense in buying overpriced mini fridges - because folks like acres of one level worktops.

OTOH the Management can buy a fatted calf - if she's minded so to do - and we can enjoy all the meat over a period (OK my wording is a bit OTT - but the principal still applies.

Buying over priced popular cuts is just what the 'shops' want - and we've noticed that recently the quality of produce has diminished recently, because sellers have cannyly  slipped in stuf which is of lower quality / not really ready to sell.

So what do you do and does my argument / thoughts really make sense??

I've very rarely had real meat as such. I was vegetarian for decades, then just jumped in feet first with bacon, then venison (which was proper happy jeat and lovely)  but mostly I buy cheaper supermarket cuts. Again would love to use a butcher, but too expensive. 

I cared for my mum for 4 years, full time, and she lived proper meat from 'her' butcher, so I would buy that for her. But I rarely ate it myself as I thought it too expensive for me to have. A couple of Sunday lunches I did join her for lamb, and i have to say it was extraordinarily good. But i don't treat myself.   I think happy meat is always going to be better quality and taste, its just affording it in reality.

37 minutes ago, bastion said:

I love browsing and seeing what is on offer so could never do online food shopping.

So far this autumn  I have done several beef stews and a sausage casserole just using whatever veg is in the fridge.

me too! I never thought I would miss food shopping!  I can get very creative with the same foods though now, I have loads i make with chicken thighs, sausage or mince, but yes, I'm bored of it all. But tonights soup and scones, to be fair, was lush!

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

And sprouts - it's nearly too late to put them on! 

?