Boosting my tp-link mobile router

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

Hi all, i have a tp-link mobile router (black square box i put my mobile data sim in. Can anyone tell me how i go about boosting the signal as i dont understand all the option and how that works with my tp link? Im thinking some form of antenna external that will feed to my router???? Is that an option?

Back after a big gap and now a liveaboard finally. Thanks all.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8624969?clickSR=slp:term:tp

My current router

Edited by Matt&Jo

10 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

In the Q & A, Argos state that an external aerial can’t be connected.. They then go on to recommend a non mobile router, so I’m not sure I’d take their word as fact.

It depends if you want a mobile router.  If you intend to fix it in a boat, then this together with an optional external 4g antenna would be so much better.  If you want to carry it around in your pocket, then no good.  You would also need to consider how to power it as it does not have an internal battery.

If it helps, a good external antenna is maybe £80 and a power supply another £20, but could be less if you diy, or nothing if you run it from your inverter.

Put it in a window, if you're not doing that already. 2G/3G/4G/5G/nG signals can't get through a steel boat shell, but they can get through glass. If you put it in a window, then it has the best chance of picking up a signal. In summer, don't have it in a window facing the sun without some protection from overheating. Ask me how I know!

For optimum reception, then a gadget that can take an external aerial, connected to an aerial on a pole on the roof of the boat would be the way.

Jen

59 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

If it helps, a good external antenna is maybe £80 and a power supply another £20, but could be less if you diy, or nothing if you run it from your inverter.

Electricity from an inverter is anything but 'free' costing about 10x - 15x more to generate than you would pay for 'the mains'.

The M7350 does not have external antenna connections so the only improvement would be moving the location so it has less signal blocking.  You could put it in a waterproof container and stick it on the top of a pole.

Edited by Rob-M
Correct model number

19 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The M7350 does not have external antenna connections so the only improvement would be moving the location so it has less signal blocking.  You could put it in a waterproof container and stick it on the top of a pole.

I which case the wifi would bounce off the roof giving poor to no signal inside the boat.

52 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Electricity from an inverter is anything but 'free' costing about 10x - 15x more to generate than you would pay for 'the mains'.

I did not mean free electricity, just that a 12v power supply to power the router would  not be required.  But as you say if you want it on all day, running an inverter just for that would cost a lot more in the long run.

• Happy 1

13 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I which case the wifi would bounce off the roof giving poor to no signal inside the boat.

I did not mean free electricity, just that a 12v power supply to power the router would  not be required.  But as you say if you want it on all day, running an inverter just for that would cost a lot more in the long run.

Now there's a thought, For someone like me who never just sits with the engine running to recharge the batteries but only do it while cruising I wonder how much more diesel I use to have my inverter on 24/5 and the MiFi powered up

39 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Now there's a thought, For someone like me who never just sits with the engine running to recharge the batteries but only do it while cruising I wonder how much more diesel I use to have my inverter on 24/5 and the MiFi powered up

Me too - but I'm left wondering what you do for the other two days? ;)

• Horror 1

5 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

It depends if you want a mobile router.  If you intend to fix it in a boat, then this together with an optional external 4g antenna would be so much better.  If you want to carry it around in your pocket, then no good.  You would also need to consider how to power it as it does not have an internal battery.

According to the manufacturer's website there is a battery fitted to the OP's router.

21 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

A thimblefull a day as a conservative estimate. ?

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

looking at the Datasheet PDF it has internal antennas only, so its stick it in a window for better reception or time to look for a new ‘un with better features i’m afraid :( 

That's what I have to do on the boat. My stepson used to use one home in rural Ireland  but has now replaced it with a Huawei B525 with two external antenna, it has gone from being just usable to a rock solid connection where he can now stream netflix etc.

The 525 uses less than 2amps @12v I have seen figures of 1amp for power consumption.

I also use one as my internet access at the house and its bombproof.

https://modem.co.uk/product/huawei-b525/

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

That's what I have to do on the boat. My stepson used to use one home in rural Ireland  but has now replaced it with a Huawei B525 with two external antenna, it has gone from being just usable to a rock solid connection where he can now stream netflix etc.

The 525 uses less than 2amps @12v I have seen figures of 1amp for power consumption.

I also use one as my internet access at the house and its bombproof.

https://modem.co.uk/product/huawei-b525/

And the Chinese communist party can watch Netflix for free as well ?