Remembrance

OldGoat

Featured Posts

Did anyone watch the service of Remembreance from the Albert Hall last night?

Does anyone watctch the BBC programmes on the tele?

It may be a too serious subject for this forum, but I was mightily impressed by last night's programme for the quality of the production - the precision of the participants, the flow of the presentation and the general ambience of the building.

(OK it had been recorded in stages becaus of Covid considerations, the mighty organ wasn't used - mebe somebody thought the two mighty 60HP blowers might spread the bug around).

From 'other places' I get the impression that watching films and series on subscription channels is preferred.

Just intrested in what current generatiosn do for evening entertainment.

• Greenie 2

42 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

It may be a too serious subject for this forum, but I was mightily impressed by last night's programme for the quality of the production - the precision of the participants, the flow of the presentation and the general ambience of the building.

(OK it had been recorded in stages becaus of Covid considerations, the mighty organ wasn't used - mebe somebody thought the two mighty 60HP blowers might spread the bug around).

From 'other places' I get the impression that watching films and series on subscription channels is preferred.

We watched it and agree a very good program.     Off out onto the door step for the two minutes silence after this post.

We watch loads of stuff on the BBC. We normally record programmes onto a PVR and watch at our leisure. We do the same with ITV, Channel 4 etc. that way we can wizz through the adverts. I hate the way that if you are streaming the commercial channels they force you to watch the adverts.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

The spaces were filled with the Ghosts of those who never came home.

Hadn't thought of that - makes it more poingnant.

It's blurry dificult marching at Open Order...

There is often talk about the Dam Busters, but what about the Aqueduct Busters?

In July and August 1940, British Bombers carried out a raids on the Dortmund Ems Canal, destroying aqueducts on the canal over the River Ems. Acting Squadron Leader J A Pitcairn Hill DSO, DFC was associated with the raid in August, but was killed in September, such was the risk of bombing raids. 

The damage to the canal was enough to hamper the transport of iron stone intended for the German War effort.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Heartland said:

In July and August 1940, British Bombers carried out a raids on the Dortmund Ems Canal, destroying aqueducts on the canal over the River Ems. Acting Squadron Leader J A Pitcairn Hill DSO, DFC was associated with the raid in August, but was killed in September, such was the risk of bombing raids. 

The damage to the canal was enough to hamper the transport of iron stone intended for the German War effort.

This seems to read more like glorification than remembrance. How many German civilians were killed? Remembrance Day is about them, too.

Yes,

Remembrance is about all those who have died in all these conflicts. The point is that canals were considered strategic points to attack, what ever the side. In the UK German Bombing also damaged the waterways. It is not glorification but  a statement of the policies adopted on both sides of the war. 

Another example of bombing is related to the First World War where the Germans bombed part of Bilston. There is still a plaque on the side of the pump house at Bradley commemorating the couple who died nearby through that bombing.   

We had a very small ceremony in our village, possibly the only time that the vicar has discouraged people from attending one of his dos. It was rather moving with just a dozen or so, mostly quite old, people present (plus me, who some might say is quite old but I've got the mind of a sixteen year-old. The sort that mothers warn their daughters about.) As an aetheist I feel it's important to have these rituals, the Remembrance Sunday one always brings a lump to my throat and moisty-eyes.

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Didn't know that.
I've just finished reading Guy Gibson's autobiography.

1 hour ago, Onewheeler said:

We had a very small ceremony in our village, possibly the only time that the vicar has discouraged people from attending one of his dos. It was rather moving with just a dozen or so, mostly quite old, people present (plus me, who some might say is quite old but I've got the mind of a sixteen year-old. The sort that mothers warn their daughters about.) As an aetheist I feel it's important to have these rituals, the Remembrance Sunday one always brings a lump to my throat and moisty-eyes.

We had a low key affair - I think numerically just right. Enough people to give a (well spaced) crowd and no one who attended felt "left out". Few enough that we can honestly say "low key"

And we videoed a "dummy run" on Monday afternoon to be released on You Tube at exactly 11:00 this morning for those who felt it wiser not to attend. Videoing a solemn occasion has it's moments such as when the vicar interrupted the (Monday) two minute silence "Can we do it again please, the wreath's blown over"!

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I read @Heartland 's post as being about a little remembered sacrifice.  I think we should leave it there, today of all days. :)

Well put,  and you as I have worn and marched on remembrance day in the uniforms of those that gave us the freedom to be able to do so.

strange one here today, last 7 or so years i’d be parade marshalling for Scouts whilst my daughter marched with her section. everything was cancelled so we just had a quiet 2mins on the doorstep instead.

mind you, made a change to not be sworn at or near run over by those who feel its more important to get to the farm shop.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

strange one here today, last 7 or so years i’d be parade marshalling for Scouts whilst my daughter marched with her section. everything was cancelled so we just had a quiet 2mins on the doorstep instead.

mind you, made a change to not be sworn at or near run over by those who feel its more important to get to the farm shop.

Sad little people.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I read @Heartland 's post as being about a little remembered sacrifice.  I think we should leave it there, today of all days. :)

I disagree. Today, "of all days", we should be reflecting upon the futility of war and the sacrifices made (often involuntarily) by those who die in all conflicts, whether they wear a uniform or not, and whether they end up on the winning side or not.

That was my point.

• Greenie 2

13 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Yes we watched it and enjoyed it. It was well put together however it was done. They somehow managed to 'fill' the Albert Hall with relatively few participants.

Good to hear my six year old granddaughter talking about the meaning of the Poppy yesterday. Her school have been covering it this week.

Lest they forget.

13 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Did anyone watch the service of Remembreance from the Albert Hall last night

Just interested in what current generations do for evening entertainment.

Yes we did watch it and thought of our family  members who took part in WW2 and returned but never really  spoke about their experiences .

We do only watch freeview  channels but we are old school.

Daughter Nr 2 (in her 30's) doesn't watch terrestrial TV at all.

I thought it was lovely and a great tribute. When clearing my grandma's house several years ago we found Royal Albert Hall 'Festival of Empire' (as it was called then) programmes from 1936 & 7, when my grandad sang the boys' solo as head chorester at St Paul's Cathedral school. The programmes still had red petals inside that he had collected as they fell. Very moving. He went on to become an RAF pilot and survived the war but was killed in an air crash in the 50s. 

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Good to hear my six year old granddaughter talking about the meaning of the Poppy yesterday. Her school have been covering it this week

As we didn't feel able to hand out (folded A4 paper) programs because of the infection risk (miniscule I know but that's Councils for you...) we printed and laminated A3 sheets with the programme, to be mounted on lampposts etc. for people to read. As well as "Last Post" etc these included the words to "A Veteran Says", "A Young Person Says" and "The Kohima Epitaph". I was touched by the number of children who asked, as we took the posters down "Can I have that mister, those words are really moving"

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

This seems to read more like glorification than remembrance. How many German civilians were killed? Remembrance Day is about them, too.

I visited the Eider Dam as the only foreigner amongst about thirty German senior managers and engineers. The description of the raid was very good, and included the fact that around the same number of allied airmen and German civilians were killed on the raid. Most Germans seem to have a more balanced view of the effects of the war than some in this country, who need to read Sassoon's 'Reconciliation'. https://www.bartleby.com/137/2.html