Planning to become a narrowboater

SirCy

Featured Posts

56 minutes ago, SirCy said:

I figured as much it would be costly, but anything is within reach if you plan for it.

My career path is in programming; pays pretty decently, is quite suitable for remote working, and I found most of the time you get a breakthrough when you're not at your computer... normally at 4am which is why I sleep with a notepad and pen next to me now. I think my biggest concern here however would be power-consumption from running a computer and internet connection.

Anyone who is Continuous Cruising, how is connectivity out there? I've heard people using their mobile phones as a tether, but is that really reliable?

Take care, living on a boat sucks the life out of the work ethic, given the choice between getting a load of ones and zeros in the correct order or doing the hundreds of lovely little jobs that need doing on a boat is a bit of a no contest.

There are a few blackspots on the system but internet access is generally good, if a little slow at times. Three in particular is good as they have good coverage and reasonably priced "unlimited use" contracts. The downside is this makes them popular so speed can be an issue. Its worth having a second network as backup (probably O2) but some of the black spots are bad for all networks.

A dedicated "mifi" or even a proper router is better than using a mobile phone, but the phone could provide the back-up network.

Avoid video conference calls.

.................Dave

Edited by dmr
spellin

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Many people (us included) use a phone as a hot spot and the majority of the time the signal is 'OK' sometimes there just isn't any signal. I woukld be very reluctant to have to rely on using internet on a boat (of no fixed abode) if my job depended on it.

It works for us, because we look at our cellphone provider's network coverage, and plan our cruising based on that. Moreover, we have two cellphone providers, one for a wifi dongle and the other for our cellphones. Three and EE, respectively (Three is pants). It still means that occasionally there is a longer stretch with no internet connectivity. It's doable where we are; their location would need checking, of course.

53 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You are of course perfectly entitled to your opinion.  Self confidence is vital.  Believe in yourself even if you are a minority of one. Are you looking for confirmation?

No, I know what I know, what I know may not be your opinion, but it is my opinion, and of course, it's my opinion that matters to me,  oops, almost ended a sentence with a preposition.☺️

Edited by LadyG
Trying to get emojies to work

19 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

It works for us, because we look at our cellphone provider's network coverage, and plan our cruising based on that. Moreover, we have two cellphone providers, one for a wifi dongle and the other for our cellphones. Three and EE, respectively (Three is pants). It still means that occasionally there is a longer stretch with no internet connectivity. It's doable where we are; their location would need checking, of course.

I'm Three mifi, and only had one place where connectivity was intermittent, and my three phone was poor as well, I was physically in a dip, besid trees, could easily have moved if it was essential. I'm in the North East

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm Three mifi, and only had one place where connectivity was intermittent, and my three phone was poor as well, I was physically in a dip, besid trees, could easily have moved if it was essential. I'm in the North East

How did you get there, weren't you in Retford yesterday ?

You must have been lifted out & onto a truck as the North East isn't even connected the the network.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

Strange, I could probably count on my fingers the number of places I have not had a 3 data signal. I even get one at home, just, but a phone wont work on 3 here. Maybe a MiFi is better than a phone and I don't use external aerials  

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The dregs of society are either in jail, mental hospitals or living on boats because they ( usually single males ) think its cheap and they can be socially inactive, arrogant, dirty and disrespect everyone else.

Goodness, I've met some strange people when I was in a marina cheek to cheek with boaters, a lot of whom probably had ended up there rather than chosen to buy a boat and they would much rather own their own house but may be trapped, due to ongoing cost of marina life.

On the cut, it's been fine, yes some grumpy gits, but most of them are OK if you just ignore their grumpiness and carry on as usual. .Passers by are out to enjoy a walk, so they are fine, as are anglers, though I tend to look carefully at their kit, as not all are actually genuine. 

Special mention to Jan, Martin and Sean who all rallied round when I was in need of a helping hand.

Edited by LadyG

If you live in the North East - probably the most convenient "canal" marina (if you are in Newcastle or Teesside)  is Ripon (just off the M1) but its still quite isolated from the rest of the canal network.  There are a variety of one day experience days you can go on or a two day helmsman course (nearest one to you is probably near Bradford https://www.bearboating.co.uk/training ) 

7 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Strange, I could probably count on my fingers the number of places I have not had a 3 data signal. I even get one at home, just, but a phone wont work on 3 here. Maybe a MiFi is better than a phone and I don't use external aerials  

Probably only need two fingers, Lower Heyford and the Caldon Canal opposite the Black Lion, and the Lion opens all day and has wifi.

A couple of places on the K&A are a bit marginal but are good enough for email though not streaming. The Lower Heyford blacskpot is a big one.

...................Dave

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I can't remember if Consall Forge has a Three signal or not.  I can remember going to the Black Lion, but not returning  ...

Consall Forge has no signal on any network (I think). You have two options, climb the huge flight of steps to the top of the hill, or cross a pleasing river bridge, a level crossing used by steam trains, and go to the pub, its no contest really.

On our last visit there we had a need for constant internet access so had no option but all day drinking sessions.,

................Dave

16 hours ago, garibaldi said:

If you live in the North East - probably the most convenient "canal" marina (if you are in Newcastle or Teesside)  is Ripon (just off the M1) but its still quite isolated from the rest of the canal network.  There are a variety of one day experience days you can go on or a two day helmsman course (nearest one to you is probably near Bradford https://www.bearboating.co.uk/training ) 

Ripon marina will be a pretty expensive option, formerly BW/CRT , problem is isolation from rest of the main network, Goole, Castleford and others are in t' North East, I would not think Ripon is handy for Teeside /Newcastle.

• Unimpressed 1

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Ripon marina will be a pretty expensive option, formerly BW/CRT , problem is isolation from rest of the main network, Goole, Castleford and others are in t' North East, I would not think Ripon is handy for Teeside /Newcastle.

You do spout some drivel !

I suggest you brush up on your geography before giving people advice.

Goole is in the East Riding of Yorkshire

Castleford is in the West Riding of Yorkshire.

Better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool, than open it and prove them right.

"The North East of England"

North East England - Wikipedia

• Greenie 2

On 08/11/2020 at 14:28, LadyG said:

There are no canals in the North East of England where the OP is from, I would say your East Midlands in relation to the Country.  Possibly North East in relation to the canal system, but definitely not in relation to the Country. A very common mistake that people from Yorkshire make thinking their Northerners, but in reality there is a lot of North above Yorkshire?

Edited by PD1964

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

There are no canals in the North East of England where the OP is from, I would say your East Midlands in relation to the Country.  Possibly North East in relation to the canal system but definitely not in relation to the Country.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/where-we-work/yorkshire-and-north-east

Click on the map view and you get this:

yne.jpg

14 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

A very common mistake that people from Yorkshire make thinking their Northerners, but in reality there is a lot of North above Yorkshire?

All the important places are north of Yorkshire (certainly north of the majority of Yorkshires)   :D

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

As I say in relation to the country canals are not really North East, there’s a lot of North England above the main canal system. Even looking at that map with just canals in mind I would say the canals are mainly mid country

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

All the important places are north of Yorkshire (certainly north of the majority of Yorkshires)   :D

? I would say all of Yorkshires, like where the OP is from?