Loving my new life on board my trad...

9teen60six

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, David Mack said:

If your batteries were fully charged when you left Whilton, and you boated 10 miles (or 3-4 hours), then your batteries should still be fully charged if the alternator is charging properly. So I suspect either the alternator is not charging, or your batteries are knackered (a technical term!).

I only noticed the batteries being fully charged while at Whilton, I'd been at Blisworth for a week or two before I noticed the battery condition being different.  I need to establish the charger is switching on now, as the voltage to the battery monitor is lower than I would expect from a charger.... 

1 hour ago, Onewheeler said:

You'll have to trace the wires back to see what they're connected to!

Thanks for the reply,

As you say, I'll have trace the wiring back and see what they are connected to. NT Boats must have had a deal on red cable when they built her as 99% of the wiring is red, would have been useful had they at least numbered them to allow tracing them to be the easier...

8 minutes ago, 9teen60six said:

I only noticed the batteries being fully charged while at Whilton, I'd been at Blisworth for a week or two before I noticed the battery condition being different.  I need to establish the charger is switching on now, as the voltage to the battery monitor is lower than I would expect from a charger.... 

Thanks for the reply,

As you say, I'll have trace the wiring back and see what they are connected to. NT Boats must have had a deal on red cable when they built her as 99% of the wiring is red, would have been useful had they at least numbered them to allow tracing them to be the easier...

Ahh so its one of young Nigels boats is it? Was it called after a wine by any chance?

29 minutes ago, 9teen60six said:

I can't find much about NT Boats, any help would be useful....

Yes she is, for now... 

Hes a friend of mine and hes built dozens of boats in cluding a hell of a lot of hire boats. In his early days he used to fit cocooned betas and diesel stoves but after a few boats and plenty of people like me explaining the error of his ways he moved to standard engines and multi fuel stoves. Claret was one of his and several others with wine names. Drop me a pm if you think you need to know anything else.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Is this your boat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlBw5GSG95M&ab_channel=PrincessofShiraz

May be something in the youtube channel which could help (although I doubt it!!)

Wondered how long it would be before I was reminded of her past :) 

It did answer the question why there were so many holes in the roof panel and in the rear stowage area with all those solar panels. I've welded them all up now and made them water tight, sadly the one gland I left where the power cables enter the cabin leaks, so I might cut my losses and bin the last of the panels and start a fresh next year...

3 minutes ago, 9teen60six said:

Sorry about that!!

Hope you get on well with the new venture. I don't live aboard KenDorR, so unfortunately, It's at least another 3 weeks before I can go back.

• Happy 1

5 minutes ago, 9teen60six said:

It did answer the question why there were so many holes in the roof panel and in the rear stowage area with all those solar panels. I've welded them all up now and made them water tight, sadly the one gland I left where the power cables enter the cabin leaks, so I might cut my losses and bin the last of the panels and start a fresh next year...

I see she has moved onto a widebeam!! 70 by 12 and a cracking comfy interior. Might as well if she doesnt intend cruising far.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Corrected that for you.

Not always so Jo. When we lived on our fattie we went between the huddersfield and the soar and all points in between, even up the erewash and down the A and c to Leeds and the calder to Wakey. Thats a greater area than most narrowboaters I have met over the years and we only owned it 4 years iirc.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Not always so Jo. When we lived on our fattie we went between the huddersfield and the soar and all points in between, even up the erewash and down the A and c to Leeds and the calder to Wakey. Thats a greater area than most narrowboaters I have met over the years and we only owned it 4 years iirc.

I was going to say something similar.

As with NB's, WB owners fall into two categories, those that 'move' and those that don't.

There is absolutely no reason why a 'fatty' should be resticted to a marina, in either the South, or the North - its just the bit in the middle that is a 'no-go'.

Irrespective of being a 'fatty' or an 'anorexic' if a boat is bought as a floating-flat that is what it will be.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

No, not always, just got the impression the lady in Q didn't spend a lot of time travelling on her NB, I may be doing her a  dis-service,

• Greenie 1