1.5 BMC engine components

GBW

Featured Posts

When I acquired my spare engine, I had a problem with matching the oil pump to the strainer.  (You experts will all be aware that the sump is the opposite way round to that on the road engine).

I was able to obtain a pick up strainer from the MG owners club who stock many engine components from a complete engine downwards.

It is important to remember though, that these engines are petrol and some components are different to the diesel version.

https://www.mgownersclub.co.uk/spares

10 minutes ago, GBW said:

When I acquired my spare engine, I had a problem with matching the oil pump to the strainer.  (You experts will all be aware that the sump is the opposite way round to that on the road engine).

I was able to obtain a pick up strainer from the MG owners club who stock many engine components from a complete engine downwards.

It is important to remember though, that these engines are petrol and some components are different to the diesel version.

https://www.mgownersclub.co.uk/spares

I assume you have a stepped pressed tin sump. The original marinisations had a cast iron full length sump so it should have been no problem with the  oil strainer.

The original engine, supplied by Norris and sons, had the deepest part of the sump at the rear.  This is as fitted to road engines (so that the shallow part cleared the front suspension).  I thought nothing of this and the shaft angle is quite acceptable.  

However, the engine I bought off ebay, had the sump at the forward end.  I eventually realised this was to allow the engine to be lower when fitted as a marine version.  This meant that the oil pickup strainer was remote from the oil pump.  The feed to the pump was extended to suit.  Both the modified pump feed and the pickup strained are professionally manufactured.  The ebay sump was in a poor condition and my efforts to weld up the leak fruitless.  However, I found a brand new sump on ebay.  The two varieties are not reversible.

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Many MGB bits fit, timing sprockets are the obvious ones, fortunately as Sherpa spares are almost non existent.

I have cut and rewelded sumps before to get around this problem but its a lot of work.

Rimmers have lots of new MGB parts.    .https://rimmerbros.com/ItemList--MGB-Engine-Components-4-Cylinder--m-19521