Stove sanity

Featured Posts

Excuse my first post being a bit 'negative'. Been reading for a long time without posting.

Please see Exhibit A below.  Not my own picture, but a recent build with a high price tag promoted at a well known broker. 

First off...  (and ignoring for a moment the placement of two chairs staring at a bookshelf and having to twist their heads 90 degrees to even see the TV)... Is that stove not far too close to the wooden trim of that surround? The heat from that stove contained in what I can only describe as a "cupboard" has nowhere to go, so much of the heat is being focussed and reflected onto the wooden trim for it to escape that cubby hole.  Looks to be only a few inches from stove to wood trim.

Next, the marble plinth underneath.  With no lip edge, seems far too close from stove to carpet. Must be what? 5, 6 inches at best? Maybe the pic is deceptive, but I've watched coal jump and roll a good 2 foot across a newly fitted expensive thick white carpet, and it wasn't pretty. 

Looking up top, the flue seems almost resting on the wooden trim. Maybe an inch at best. Looks to be a double-skinned flue, and at least it's the colder end of it, but even so isn't that a bit close? 

What are the general recommendations for minimums here vs what are the absolute lowest 'get away with it' BSS or RCD limits?  I'd always want to lean on the side of caution and exceed minimums, but this example of 'what you can get at top tier for £125k' seems far more risky than I'd be comfortable with in my own build. But then at that price, I'd think this must be 'ok'?  So are my own expectations too 'cautious'? 

In general, what's the appeal of this cubby hole stove arrangement? Am I missing something obvious? Surely the point of having the stove is to warm the boat and warm the people sat near it. Anything enclosing and containing the heat is just warming the stove and sending more heat up the chimney. Building a wall between the chairs and the stove seems to negate the whole purpose. Is this just for someone that wants to challenge nature in an attempt to heat the winter air surrounding their boat rather than the air inside? Or never light it and just look at it? Or is there some appeal of having this sort of arrangement, that is going over my head? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Just Robin said:

In general, what's the appeal of this cubby hole stove arrangement? Am I missing something obvious? Surely the point of having the stove is to warm the boat and warm the people sat near it. Anything enclosing and containing the heat is just warming the stove and sending more heat up the chimney. Building a wall between the chairs and the stove seems to negate the whole purpose.

But it stops the chairs from getting too close to the stove.

16 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But it stops the chairs from getting too close to the stove.

Ah. So limitations on chair material being too close. 

But then, I would say there's still only about 30-40cm from the chair to the face of the stove. The wall isn't totally enclosing it. 

I guess at least it stops the chair being leaned directly on the stove metal. 

1 minute ago, Ally said:

I get round it by placing the stove into a fabricated steel tray, dropped below floor level but lipped over floor. 

Dropping slightly below floor level is an ingenious solution, where possible. An idea I've never considered. 

If you Google Soliftec, you will find the recommendations for stove fitting

6 minutes ago, Just Robin said:

Dropping slightly below floor level is an ingenious solution, where possible. An idea I've never considered. 

it also helps keep the heat lower. The tray is sat on concrete blocks, which in turn are sat on the steel base, water under, so no worries of heat below. It also removes any trip hazard.

Edited by Ally
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Just Robin said:

A good idea on all boats even with oil burners. You get a bit extra length on the flue and better safety in front of the stove. I take the legs off Squirrels ( they are vermin after all ) for the same reason and fit 1" ones.

We didn't have a lot of choice when fitting a stove in our 30 foot NB. so we used the space taken up by a 'dressing table & drawers'

On a 'how hot can we get the boat test' I achieved 50 C in the saloon and had to stop because we couldn't breathe.

It was a 3Kw 'Pipsqueak' stove. (with an 8" grate, and 4" 'hole' to feed the 'twigs' in - far to small to be called 'logs')

If you think about a coal fire in a house, it is recessed into a chimney breast so no heat can 'get out sideways' it is all radiated / reflected forwards.

IMG_20130912_123236.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

11 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Our chairs don't point at the TV as we very rarely turn the TV on and off we do we turn the chairs round.

Indeed, if/when I'm in a more nautical position than my current situation, I intend to live TV-free. When there is water and nature and a burning stove to look at, I don't feel a TV is necessary. 

Dropping the stove down as in Ally's pic has another advantage, if you are fitting a gravity heating system it gives you a bit extra rise and fall of the pipes, with boat stuff as in so many things that extra inch or so can make all the difference.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Higgs said:

Hold me back!!!!!!!!! Hold me back. 

:)

? Yeah I know, I luv squirrells too and indeed have one. However that fit out to be honest looks a bit daft and wasted space and High end? I suppose thats a matter of opinion but therefore over 100k plus I would want some naff shiney thing to go with the rest of the fit out.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

If I were buying a boat with a high price tag I wouldnt want a bargain basement cheap end stove as part of the deal!!

Well, "having pictures of a squirrel on the sides" can be an important factor in financial decision making. Much more important than whether it puts out any heat. ?

But then covering up pictures of squirrels with walls? Surely unforgivable. 

(in my case, paying £125000 based entirely on some pictures of squirrels would verge on lottery-win territory. I'm more in the barely floating shed financial range, for now)

4 minutes ago, Just Robin said:

Well, "having pictures of a squirrel on the sides" can be an important factor in financial decision making. Much more important than whether it puts out any heat. ?

But then covering up pictures of squirrels with walls? Surely unforgivable. 

(in my case, paying £125000 based entirely on some pictures of squirrels would verge on lottery-win territory. I'm more in the barely floating shed financial range, for now)

Boxing in the heat source is as you say, madness why on earth they have done that is anyones guess. Stove is focal point of any narrowboat cabin and that looks damned awful.

Edited by mrsmelly

No one yet commented on the 'solar panel reduction' system built into the roof.

Can it be walked on ?

Is this really a Narrowboat*-builder or a steel fabricating skip* company looking to diversify ?

* I know that an NB and a skip are often one and the same, but rarely built by the same company.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Ally said:

Anything combustible and not protected should be 800mm from the stove body. 

So based on this 800mm, those chairs need to be kept a lot further away. Even with the walls in place, the promo image shows 300mm.  I think they'd barely achieve 800mm with the chairs pushed right to the ends of the saloon. 

Does ALL soft furniture material fall under that? Or is there some leeway given if the furniture is treated in some way? 

Moving furniture is one thing, but the carpet and wood trim is another... 

32 minutes ago, Ally said:

The hearth infront should be a minimum of 225mm ahead of the door, and 150mm either side of the stove, unless there is a lip or upstand to catch any falling coal etc.

Seems a lot closer than that to me. Maybe 10cm across to the wood trim edge. 

17 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If I were buying a boat with a high price tag I wouldnt want a bargain basement cheap end stove as part of the deal!!

Our bargain cheaper stove pictured has gone into our new tiny studio boat, its only 20ft (bless) so that will do fine for what we will use it for. It's a cheap and cheerful build! ?  I did look at a pipsqueak for it, but had questions and the company had no answers so that was that.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Can it be walked on ?

Hehe. I do wonder. 

I'd be tempted by a big skylight or a dogbox myself, but I'd seriously consider the practicalities of it before cutting a great big ole.  

That boat has multiple of them, and unnecessarily electrically actuated ones too. 

The one over the saloon may be a good idea - reverse layout central saloon after all - but the one over the bed at the bow is just plain silly. That's where the solar panels should be. 

• Horror 1

3 minutes ago, Just Robin said:

So based on this 800mm, those chairs need to be kept a lot further away. Even with the walls in place, the promo image shows 300mm.  I think they'd barely achieve 800mm with the chairs pushed right to the ends of the saloon. 

Does ALL soft furniture material fall under that? Or is there some leeway given if the furniture is treated in some way? 

Moving furniture is one thing, but the carpet and wood trim is another... 

Seems a lot closer than that to me. Maybe 10cm across to the wood trim edge. 

800mm to unprotected,  I suppose in theory the chairs are protected by the wall which presumably is made up of fireboard and an airgap.  Loose furniture etc cannot be accounted for by a company fitting out, nothing to stop a new owner piling up their firelighters under or next to the stove for convenience!  It does all look a bit close under the new build regs, but that's the joy of fitters self certifying that they comply, and/or the photo may be deceptive.  

I only need to fit my studio tiny boat out to BSS, but still I've done the best I can to fire protect, realistically. 

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Can it be walked on ?

Is this really a Narrowboat*-builder or a steel fabricating skip* company looking to diversify ?

* I know that an NB and a skip are often one and the same, but rarely built by the same company.

I'd be curious to see the whole build!

They are Rugby Boats pictures and this is the boat :

https://rugbyboats.co.uk/Oakums-photos/

Presumably being a 'solar TV' you cannot watch it at night.

Oakums is a stunning brand new reverse layout 57’ Semi trad narrowboat built in 2020 by Oakums Boatbuilders on a Jackson & Son’s shell. She is a real head turner from outside with her metallic paint and classic lines, and from inside with her first class fit out in solid oak, Carrara marble and deep pile carpets. She is truly a luxurious floating country cottage.
No expense has been spared in the build of this boat. The semi trad deck houses the Canaline 42 deluxe engine under in an engine room which houses the 500ah AGM battery bank and the calorifier. Steps lead down into the ‘vestibule’, a practical room to divest of wet clothes and wellies before entering the heart of the boat. The washing machine, along with cupboards & electrics, is in here also.
A frosted glass door leads into the galley. This is well equipped with a 3 burner gas hob, gas oven with electric grill, a 230v integrated fridge (with icebox) and a slimline dishwasher. The sink is stainless steel and the worktops are Carrara marble. There is oodles of storage space and a large electrically (remote controlled) opening skylight which adds lights and air. (There is also one of these in both the saloon & bedroom). They have solar film on to reduce sun heat. A breakfast bar ledge leads into the saloon.
The sitting room is very cottagy. Two super comfy armchairs sit either side of the solid fuel stove (Carrara surround & hearth) and the second skylight is over. Oak units opposite offer storage and shelves for the wireless solar TV (with built in satellite tuner). The carpet (as in the bedroom) is deep pile with thermal underlay).
The luxurious walkthrough bathroom follows. The sink is ceramic, the units are solid oak (as with the rest of the boat) and the tiles and counter top are carrara marble. The bath has the shower over (including a rain shower head) and the loo is a composting one.
The bedroom is in the forward cabin. The fixed double is 6’4” x 4’ and has lots of storage under. There is a large double wardobe at the head (along with another large floor to ceiling cupboard) and storage at the foot if the bed. There is another sky light in here. Steps lead out on to the well deck through glazed front doors.
Where are the radiators?? She is centrally heated by a Webasto under floor (zone controlled) diesel fired system. This heats the hot water (as does the engine) and the water tank is stainless steel (750 litres). 230v is from the 3kva (9kva peak) inverter/charger or landline hook up, and all the lighting is LED mood lighting. All the windows on board are double glazed, and all the mirrors on board are of bronzed glass. This boat is simply beautiful.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

11 minutes ago, Ally said:

800mm to unprotected,  I suppose in theory the chairs are protected by the wall which presumably is made up of fireboard and an airgap.  Loose furniture etc cannot be accounted for by a company fitting out, nothing to stop a new owner piling up their firelighters under or next to the stove for convenience!  It does all look a bit close under the new build regs, but that's the joy of fitters self certifying that they comply, and/or the photo may be deceptive.  

I only need to fit my studio tiny boat out to BSS, but still I've done the best I can to fire protect, realistically. 

I'd be curious to see the whole build!

You can watch the walkthrough video...