Can I use my boat to go shopping?

sailor0500

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, LadyG said:

I've been trying to move since Worksop, the epicentre of crime, but it's not been easy, two CRT LOCKUPS, one Uk Govt lockin, and the boat only does 1mpg sog, as there is not much water.

I am annoyed rather than worried. They don't enter the boat, that's a prisonable offence, they might even be deported or worse, have me attack them, though I'm not likrly to do that as I can't run as fast as they can.

I now only moor up where there is lighting and preferably CtV, or remote dead end villages like Clayworth.I went  downtown Worksop at 4.00 am, it was buzzing with people, only one or two natives, t'others finish their shift at  04.00and are free for the rest of the day. Needless to say there were no police in Worksop at  04.00 and the on,y ones I have seen inthe past six months are the very nice pair who came to see me, but only aftercI reported a break in, just stealing stuff does not warrant a call out.

Twice I used 999, once they realise I am not in danger there is no action, I don't blame them, they have to triage, but if people are wandering around stealing stuff at 04.00 am why don't they just send a car round, as I say it's absolutely buzzing with people, shops open  deliveries, etc etc.

You say the town is buzzing with people but only one or two natives, but where are they all from then?

16 hours ago, peterboat said:

I only use Lidl and little ASDA neither do delivery

Lidl are doing home deliveries from selected stores. I think they will expand it to all stores in the near future.

1 hour ago, nbfiresprite said:

It is in some countries.

Russia for one. 

23 hours ago, peterboat said:

Ha ha if you had seen the substitution you wouldn't have a second go ? As it happens Smith worked for Morrisons in the last lockdown and he told me some of the items sent out instead of and that sealed it for me

I'm having an operation tomorrow, so the wife and I have had to self isolate for the last two weeks.

For the first time ever we tried ASDA home deliveries. They have been excellent, sensible substitutions and long dates on all products so far.

We both have to self isolate for another 14 days on my release (hopefully Tuesday), and I wont be able to lift anything heavy for another 3-4 weeks so have booked weekly deliveries right up to Christmas.

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space
  • Greenie 1

On 07/11/2020 at 11:17, sailor0500 said:

I live alone on my boat in a residential marina and I do not own a car. The shops are four miles away and although a bus stops near the marina I am sure it would be safer to go in my boat. As far as I can see that would pose no risk to anyone else, would be zero risk to me, would help me to stay sane during the lockdown, and it would break no government regulations. What does the panel think?

Wading through some of the off topic stuff posted in this thread I cant see that any body has posted anything definitive.

CRT say this.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

What is essential boat travel?
If you are a live-aboard boater or are currently occupying your boat, then essential movement could be:

to access water or waste facilities
to access essential food and supplies
to access hospital, GP, and other medical appointments, or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health
for emergency mechanical service for your boat
for emergency vet treatment for your pet
for caring responsibilities

I read that as you being fine. It mirrors what DEFra have said to the British Marine Federation.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

From the link above:

If you are a live-aboard boater or are currently occupying your boat, then essential movement could be:

• to access water or waste facilities
  • to access essential food and supplies
  • to access hospital, GP, and other medical appointments, or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health
  • for emergency mechanical service for your boat
  • for emergency vet treatment for your pet
  • for caring responsibilities

From Thursday 5 November to Wednesday 2 December you should not be making short trips or breaks on your boat for leisure purposes, these are classed as non-essential journeys.

On 07/11/2020 at 21:50, peterboat said:

Ha ha if you had seen the substitution you wouldn't have a second go ? As it happens Smith worked for Morrisons in the last lockdown and he told me some of the items sent out instead of and that sealed it for me

At the risk of being accused by you of wanting to 'cause an argument in an empty room' I would disagree and just point out our local ASDA delivery service have been pretty well brilliant since we signed up in March.

They have kept us out of the shops, and subs. have been rare but when offered have been reasonable and always offered at the cheapest price. You can of course always decline them to get a full refund.

We did try Morrisons a couple of times but yes their subs were a bit silly or in both cases just not offered, as nothing suitable was available.

We used Tesco home delivery since the days they posted a CD with all the products on!  Since lockdown no slots available with Tesco or other local suppliers so have visited shops, sometimes several as the ones locally dont seem to have everything. So we've gone from being ideally isolated for years to possible local super spreaders.....  :(

Edited by robtheplod

25 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

We used Tesco home delivery since the days they posted a CD with all the products on!  Since lockdown no slots available with Tesco or other local suppliers so have visited shops, sometimes several as the ones locally dont seem to have everything. So we've gone from being ideally isolated for years to possible local super spreaders.....  :(

No help as you use Tesco but Sainsbury's have been brilliant.   Contacted me and told me that as a vulnerable person I had priority.   That worked very well but they quickly massively increased their delivery slots so that anybody (well everybody I know) was getting deliveries easily.

8 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Wading through some of the off topic stuff posted in this thread I cant see that any body has posted anything definitive.

CRT say this.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

to access water or waste facilities
to access essential food and supplies
to access hospital, GP, and other medical appointments, or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health
for emergency mechanical service for your boat
for emergency vet treatment for your pet
for caring responsibilities

I read that as you being fine. It mirrors what DEFra have said to the British Marine Federation.

I wish they would make, and enforce rules, rather than use "could" and "should". There seem to be an awefull lot of boats going past us on "essential" journeys. 

We had to isolate suddenly when our visiting daughter tested Covid positive. This meant that we couldn’t plan as we did when the ‘firebreak’ was announced. Neighbours and friends were great in picking up the perishable items such as eggs and milk..

i couldn’t get a Tesco delivery despite subscribing to ‘delivery saver’ and obviously couldn’t do click & collect. Sainsbury was able to deliver, it arrived yesterday, all present and correct but their meat offering (or that which I chose) was underwhelming. 

With a bit of luck I will be able to go to the supermarket from Friday. 

• 4 months later...