Can I use my boat to go shopping?

sailor0500

Featured Posts

Use your boat, just the once. I understand that narrowboats sink 1" for every ton loaded?  Load 10 tons and put bungs in any of your orifices near the water line.  Don't just go for loo rolls, get a broad range of edibles. Bow haul if that blocks the engine exhaust.  Repeat if necessary as necessary.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, sailor0500 said:

I live alone on my boat in a residential marina and I do not own a car. The shops are four miles away and although a bus stops near the marina I am sure it would be safer to go in my boat. As far as I can see that would pose no risk to anyone else, would be zero risk to me, would help me to stay sane during the lockdown, and it would break no government regulations. What does the panel think?

In answer, I would ask, what is your Marina's policy about returning to your berth?

I know some that have the attitude, once out, stay out.

Bod.

3 hours ago, sailor0500 said:

Tried that last time. Absolutely no chance of a slot.

You have to persevere. All week (and I checked twice a day) our local Waitrose was showing all slots as "fully booked" for the next two weeks or more. Then, yesterday, I checked and a convenient slot for next Wednesday had popped up. I grabbed it.

3 hours ago, matty40s said:

Plenty of anglers out too.

Yes, and those backsrdss who pretend to be anglers and are actually casing your boat, I've lost two bicycles , and my whirligig  don''t know why they didn't take my 25kg bags of coal

I've cleared the roof today, and put all my firewood (yes they took that too,  but gave up after fifty yards) right outside the window, with a flashing light, in my window, and I'll be getting a 'ctv'notice, don't know what else I can do, I nearly bought a good knobhead  walking stick, butI've plenty of weapons on board, it's catching them, throwing them in tbe cut or disabling them is no problen (courtesy of an ex-marine boyfriend)  I can deal with most things as long as I have the element of surprise.. Thesepeople are not deranged druggies, they just think they can make a few quid extra,, it's organised crime, they can't be caught, alL they do is throw your bike in the back of a white van, and pocker a fiver, my good ibike was locked with a massive chain, g'other was having the tryres removed o  the towpath while I went in for a cup of tea, not locked but not capable of being ridden so had to be removed manually. I looked out porthole after I put kettle on, .... Gone.

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes, and those backsrdss who pretend to be anglers and are actually casing your boat, I've lost two bicycles , and my whirligig  don''t know why they didn't take my 25kg bags of coal

I've cleared the roof today, and put all my firewood (yes they took that too,  but gave up after fifty yards) right outside the window, with a flashing light, in my window, and I'll be getting a 'ctv'notice, don't know what else I can do, I nearly bought a good walking stick, butI've plenty of weapons on board, it's catching them, throwing them in tbe cut or disabling them is no problen (courtesy of an ex-marine boyfriend) , I can deal with most things as long as I have the element of surprise..

Not nice to have stuff stolen from your boat. Sounds like you should think of moving to somewhere a bit safer. I think I would if I was on my own, no matter how confident I was of disabling them, I would be a bit worried. 

haggis

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I've cleared the roof today, and put all my firewood (yes they took that too,  but gave up after fifty yards) right outside the window, with a flashing light, in my window, and I'll be getting a 'ctv'notice, don't know what else I can do, I nearly bought a good knobhead  walking stick, butI've plenty of weapons on board, it's catching them, throwing them in tbe cut or disabling them is no problen (courtesy of an ex-marine boyfriend)  I qcan deal with most things as long as I have the element of surprise..

You do seem some have at least one bit of excitement every day.

36 minutes ago, haggis said:

Not nice to have stuff stolen from your boat. Sounds like you should think of moving to somewhere a bit safer. I think I would if I was on my own, no matter how confident I was of disabling them, I would be a bit worried. 

haggis

I've been trying to move since Worksop, the epicentre of crime, but it's not been easy, two CRT LOCKUPS, one Uk Govt lockin, and the boat only does 1mpg sog, as there is not much water.

I am annoyed rather than worried. They don't enter the boat, that's a prisonable offence, they might even be deported or worse, have me attack them, though I'm not likrly to do that as I can't run as fast as they can.

I now only moor up where there is lighting and preferably CtV, or remote dead end villages like Clayworth.I went  downtown Worksop at 4.00 am, it was buzzing with people, only one or two natives, t'others finish their shift at  04.00and are free for the rest of the day. Needless to say there were no police in Worksop at  04.00 and the on,y ones I have seen inthe past six months are the very nice pair who came to see me, but only aftercI reported a break in, just stealing stuff does not warrant a call out.

Twice I used 999, once they realise I am not in danger there is no action, I don't blame them, they have to triage, but if people are wandering around stealing stuff at 04.00 am why don't they just send a car round, as I say it's absolutely buzzing with people, shops open  deliveries, etc etc.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Bod said:

In answer, I would ask, what is your Marina's policy about returning to your berth?

I know some that have the attitude, once out, stay out.

Bod.

Marina should not be a problem. After all people are coming and going in cars to shop. I am stocked up for the next few days but have decided I will be using my boat to shop. Safest for everybody. Thanks for your positive replies everyone.

7 hours ago, sailor0500 said:

Tried that last time. Absolutely no chance of a slot.

As of 5 minurws ago I could get a Sainsbury's delivery next Tuesday, next Thursday, next Saturday or anytime the following week. I think it helps to have a delivery pass which cost £18 for 6 months free mid week deliveries.

58 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I only use Lidl and little ASDA neither do delivery

Is that only your area as they deliver across the road from me?

I should also say the nearest ASDA is 20 miles away.

Edited by Jerra

11 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Is that only your area as they deliver across the road from me?

I should also say the nearest ASDA is 20 miles away.

I can't be bothered with home delivery I tried it a couple of years ago and it went wrong, so since then it's lidl and little Asda never  goes wrong and I can cruise to Lidl or big Asda 

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

I can't be bothered with home delivery I tried it a couple of years ago and it went wrong, so since then it's lidl and little Asda never  goes wrong and I can cruise to Lidl or big Asda 

Ah! Saying neither delivered implied (to me at least) that you couldn't get home delivery if you wanted it.

Incidentally do you give up everything that isn't totally successful the first time you try it?

Just now, Jerra said:

Ah! Saying neither delivered implied (to me at least) that you couldn't get home delivery if you wanted it.

Incidentally do you give up everything that isn't totally successful the first time you try it?

Ha ha if you had seen the substitution you wouldn't have a second go ? As it happens Smith worked for Morrisons in the last lockdown and he told me some of the items sent out instead of and that sealed it for me

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Ha ha if you had seen the substitution you wouldn't have a second go ? As it happens Smith worked for Morrisons in the last lockdown and he told me some of the items sent out instead of and that sealed it for me

I tend to get one subsitution per week (on average) and most are completely acceptable.

The only one that I sent back as unsuitable was 'diced pickled cucumber' to replace 'frozen Summer fruits' (which go with ice cream to make a desert).

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sailor0500 said:

Marina should not be a problem. After all people are coming and going in cars to shop. I am stocked up for the next few days but have decided I will be using my boat to shop. Safest for everybody. Thanks for your positive replies everyone.

I walk to the nearest Tesco from my boat but use click and collect so it’s all waiting for me but I could take the boat for an hour and pull up right outside a big Tesco but I’d still click collect. Use a trolly to save on your arms

59 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Interesting.   With Sainsbury's we have never had a substitution which wasn't suitable (often very much in our favour e.g. double size for the price of single) and anyway you can refuse them.

17 hours ago, Athy said:

You have to persevere. All week (and I checked twice a day) our local Waitrose was showing all slots as "fully booked" for the next two weeks or more. Then, yesterday, I checked and a convenient slot for next Wednesday had popped up. I grabbed it.

We gave up trying for delivery  from Waitrose during  the first lockdown . We used to be regular customers but haven't spent anything with them since March.

Morrisons made some odd substitutions  and some that were  in their favour.

Sainsburys seemed the best overall so we have stuck with them .

• Greenie 1

Possibly over simplifying things but, what's the difference between driving to the shops in a car and going in a boat ? The big difference I can see is , on a boat you have very little contact with anyone en-route which is the whole point of all this isolating lark anyway.