Can I use my boat to go shopping?

sailor0500

Featured Posts

I live alone on my boat in a residential marina and I do not own a car. The shops are four miles away and although a bus stops near the marina I am sure it would be safer to go in my boat. As far as I can see that would pose no risk to anyone else, would be zero risk to me, would help me to stay sane during the lockdown, and it would break no government regulations. What does the panel think?

6 minutes ago, sailor0500 said:

I live alone on my boat in a residential marina and I do not own a car. The shops are four miles away and although a bus stops near the marina I am sure it would be safer to go in my boat. As far as I can see that would pose no risk to anyone else, would be zero risk to me, would help me to stay sane during the lockdown, and it would break no government regulations. What does the panel think?

Shopping is essential. Avoiding people - helped by not using the bus, but unavoidable at shops. But you can minimise the number of events that could cause contact. I'd use the boat.  

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

It is essential to shop for food, ipso facto travel to shop for food is essential travel. I don't see anything in the regulations about how you should travel.

I would suggest a big shop once a week or once a fortnight though - not taking the boat to the supermarket every day.  

1 minute ago, magpie patrick said:

It is essential to shop for food, ipso facto travel to shop for food is essential travel. I don't see anything in the regulations about how you should travel.

I would suggest a big shop once a week or once a fortnight though - not taking the boat to the supermarket every day.  

I'd agree. Stock up for a few weeks. 

9 minutes ago, sailor0500 said:

What about the CCers who might be moored near the shops , you are putting them at risk like the people coming to your marina tonwinterise their boats.

Devils advocate and all that.

Take the boat, enjoy the journey, fill the fridge and liquor store.

10 minutes ago, sailor0500 said:

One option is to order delivery on-line assuming you have an address at the marina. I’m not sure how busy they are though. 

4 minutes ago, sailor0500 said:

Tried that last time. Absolutely no chance of a slot.

Exactly, but you can book slots well in advance, and cancel them bifcyou don't ned them, and of course you should have staretd your weekly shop three weeks ago!

Aren't we being encouraged to avoid public transport?   If visiting the shops is necessary as what you need can't be delivered I would suggest you would be just following advice i.e only travel if essential and where possible avoid public transport.

• Greenie 1

I went on a bus, just one, the return (timetabled) bus had been cancelled three weks earlier so I had no choice but to get in to a taxi. If you travel at times when there are very few passengers you should be OK, just make sure you don't touch anything, and clean hands as soon as you get off. If it's either that or starve, it's essential.

I have to pick up medication next week, I will take the same bus out, but now the timetable has been updated, I am confident of the time of the last bus, confident enough to buy a day return.

Edited by LadyG

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Exactly, but you can book slots well in advance, and cancel them bifcyou don't ned them..

Whi his why people cant get slots....

Hire boats still out, 2 different companies already this morning (heading away from bases, not returning)

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Hire boats still out, 2 different companies already this morning (heading away from bases, not returning)

No, you cancel them a few days before, leaving them available for people who log on, I don't think many people do that anyway, 

iIt was just a suggestion  toungue in cheek , perhaps.

There are peoplw who have 200 toilet rolls on board, and their freezer stuffed so funll they have to give away food when they buy more DAMHIK.

Edited by LadyG

24 minutes ago, sailor0500 said:

Tried that last time. Absolutely no chance of a slot.

All it takes is a little forward planning, we have had an ASDA delivery every week since early March and have never not been able to get a slot on the day we wanted.

I have just looked, and slots are available from Fri 13th onwards.

ASDA only open slots 13 days ahead so we tend to have a 'rolling' two slots booked, one for next Wednesday and one for the following Wednesday. Once next weeks is delivered then we will book another slot for a 'week on Wednesday'.

You may need to pay £2-£4 delivery charge depending on your choice of time, but its cheaper than getting the car out anyway.

10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

They may not have had any money to refund the hirers, it's a business decision not a moral one. My bro used to deal with China, we are going back a few years, he didn't turn down million Dollar contracts due to human rights issues.

2 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Because people like 'LadyG' act like the selfish (deleted) people they are - sod everybody else, I'll be all right

GRRRRRR, not guilty m'lord.

Edited by LadyG

19 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We met a couple a week ago doing hire boat relocations. They were heading to bradford on avon ( we were at napton).

would still be en route.

Could be foreign hirers unable to get home. Could be just sold off hire boats heading to wilton! Who knows.

Enjoy your trip. Cannot see why boats cant be used myself.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

All it takes is a little forward planning, we have had an ASDA delivery every week since early March and have never not been able to get a slot on the day we wanted.

I have just looked, and slots are available from Fri 13th onwards.

ASDA only open slots 13 days ahead so we tend to have a 'rolling' two slots booked, one for next Wednesday and one for the following Wednesday. Once next weeks is delivered then we will book another slot for a 'week on Wednesday'.

You may need to pay £2-£4 delivery charge depending on your choice of time, but its cheaper than getting the car out anyway.

If you use Tesco their normal slots can be booked 3 weeks in advance at £4.50 a delivery. If you subscribe to their Regular Delivery (1 month or 6 month) It's a flat £7.95 per month for any number of deliveries. You also get an 'exclusive' 4th week calander of delivery slots. A further benefit is that from ##/##/2020 you can book a delivery slot for w/c 21/12. 

I would tell you when from but I'd have to shoot you.

Edited by Slim