With Covid, is it acceptable for a boat to moor in front of a water point (e.g., for a week)?

Thomas C King

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Surely it is common sense to anybody who knows the human body requires regular supplies of liquid.

I think you give them too much credit.

Unless they have been told / taught / informed that you can 'only park at a water point whilst filling' (and there are no signs), how do they know ?

Maybe winding holes are viewed as 'lay-bys' ?

What does 'cill' mean when painted on the lock wall ?

We know nothing until taught it. 

Common sense is remarkably 'un-common'.

Just now, Nightwatch said:

But, you can moor in front of a pub!

when they are open of course.

That rarely blocks access as you can moor slightly further away and walk.   Also despite the protestations of some beer/alcohol isn't as vital a need as water.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Unless they have been told / taught / informed that you can 'only park at a water point whilst filling' (and there are no signs), how do they know ?

They don't need taught that others will need to use the supply just as they need water supplies.

I suppose that may be possible until they are tied up there and somebody decides to try to use it.

Most kids in primary school know what a cill is they all have seen window cills.

You have never figured anything out on your own?

Not what I have found in teenagers over the decades, they all have had the common sense, however many have chosen to ignore it.

2 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Is this the services at Elizabeth Jennings way? I noticed the confusing signage there last month, I think the arrow has been removed. There should be an arrow below the 48h pointing away from the services. Without this arrow the sign appears to indicate the whole services is 48h. Not an excuse though, everyone should know blocking services is selfish. Unfortunately saw a lot of this during lockdown. Some boaters seem to manage to use so little water and alternative toilets such that they can go without needing to move for months and can't comprehend others may like to move to facilities more often than this?

Yes those are the ones. That's why I was confused about whether it was okay or not. I'll try and walk past later to check if they're still there.

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm pretty new to this. I think we always knew not to park in front of services, it's just obvious - services are far apart, our boat needs water, so wouldn't it be annoying if someone else had moored up there?

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Have you been down the Market Harborough arm?  all the moorings are by the water points

Yes and Aylesbury basin too. And I think the moorings for the Black country museum in Dudley are also on the service block. But these are exceptions 

40 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That'll be particularly useful knowledge when operating a canal lock.

I'm sure you are just being argumentative to 'pass the time' you cannot really believe what you are writing.

No I really don't believe anybody doesn't know what a cill is.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

That rarely blocks access as you can moor slightly further away and walk.   Also despite the protestations of some beer/alcohol isn't as vital a need as water.

They don't need taught that others will need to use the supply just as they need water supplies.

I suppose that may be possible until they are tied up there and somebody decides to try to use it.

Most kids in primary school know what a cill is they all have seen window cills.

You have never figured anything out on your own?

Not what I have found in teenagers over the decades, they all have had the common sense, however many have chosen to ignore it.

Oooh very very debatable is that one. Beer is much safer than water, it stands to reason, the proof is all around you. People drown in water and have you seen what havoc it wreaks to unprotected steel boat hulls!!

4 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Yes and Aylesbury basin too. And I think the moorings for the Black country museum in Dudley are also on the service block. But these are exceptions 

Not quite at the BCLM. The mooring on the right as you come through the bridge is marked for Workboats. Then about 50ft visitor mooring then it is signed for facilities. Of course signs to get removed. When we were last there about 4 years ago there was a 70ft boat occupying the the visitor mooring and part of the facility mooring who said CRT had given him permission to stay there. Tough if you wanted a pumpout.

The Dudley Canal Tunnel Trust, or one of their volunteers, seem to think they own the 50ft one as they made the sloping 'road' down to the canal.

The opposite/museum side used to have 24 hours at one end and 48 at the other but I digress from the OP

Edited by pearley

Not acceptable to moor on a service point for any reason, with the possible exception of an unfortunate sinking or traumatic health event (if the latter, it would be perfectly acceptable to move the boat off). A  mechanical breakdown or similar just doesn't cut it, and during the pandemic it beggars belief that people would be so ignorant as to position themselves between you and a vital service.

During the last lockdown, multiple chancers occupied the shopping moorings at Tescos at Warwick, denying others access to the shop and even turned the adjacent grass into a car park, endearing boaters to local business!

• Greenie 2

Just want to whinge. It's coming up to two weeks since I first saw the boat moored, and...

The CRT contacted her and she said that her battery is dead... and she will try and sort it out...

I'm a bit skeptical that someone's battery would die at a waterpoint, that they'd sit there for two weeks without contacting CRT, and that they wouldn't just tow it along by hand or ask a neighbour to help.

I'd happily help, but not seen anyone on board ?

On the plus side, they're probably not nuts, so will just moor alongside.

7 hours ago, Thomas C King said:

On the plus side, they're probably not nuts, so will just moor alongside.

I’d say that’s still inconclusive! You’ll find out soon enough.

6 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Hope you haven't overstayed on a visitor mooring

Winter innit........You get 14 days at most of them now.

1 hour ago, Alway Swilby said:

There is no requirement to move from a visitor mooring at all during the current lockdown.

But the OP was about mooring on a water point/service point not visitor moorings (OK, so there has been thread drift in between!) But, barring major incident, I cannot see any reason to justify stopping on a water/service point for longer than to use the facilities, certainly not to leave the boat tied up there. (OK, in the cause of transparency I have, very rarely, left a hose attached to a turned off/down tap whilst finishing my lunch but always keeping a good lookout for an arrival)

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

But the OP was about mooring on a water point/service point not visitor moorings (OK, so there has been thread drift in between!) But, barring major incident, I cannot see any reason to justify stopping on a water/service point for longer than to use the facilities, certainly not to leave the boat tied up there. (OK, in the cause of transparency I have, very rarely, left a hose attached to a turned off/down tap whilst finishing my lunch but always keeping a good lookout for an arrival)

So if a boat arrived you would leave? If so, why leave the hose attached to the turned-off tap?

7 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Yes, I agree with all you say.

But I wasn't quoting the OP I was quoting Ex Brummie who was hoping that the OP hadn't overstayed on a visitor mooring whilst waiting a week or more for the water tap to become free. At the moment it is impossible to overstay on a visitor mooring as all requirements to move are suspended in England until at least 2nd December.