With Covid, is it acceptable for a boat to moor in front of a water point (e.g., for a week)?

Thomas C King

Featured Posts

There are three boats in Oxford, one moored in front of a water point, the other two moored in front and behind, which means the water point is inaccessible without a very long hose. We walked past the boats at the start of the week, and when we tried to use the water point they were still there. Sucks for us, a one hour cruise to refill is now a four hour one and we haven't moored up yet.

But that's not the point, is this allowed? I thought not, but a few points that made me decide against knocking on their boat in the dark:

- The signs either side of the water point say 'two day mooring'. Nothing says "no mooring except for services", but I have seen such signs elsewhere (e.g., Braunston)

- Unlikely, but perhaps Covid means people can do what they like.

On the other hand, there are plenty of other moorings that they could use in that area, some 7-day and some longer.

Thoughts? We won't bother trying that water point again any time soon, but I'm concerned for others that may be trying to limit their movement etc.

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I would be asking CRT if this was acceptable or even if they realise it is going on.

Personally I think it is selfish in the extreme particularly under the current restrictions.

I will do. Couldn't see a number on the boat but perhaps they'll take a look. Was hoping that, if I'm in the right, to politely ask them to make space if I walk past over the weekend.

Edited by Thomas C King

Just now, Thomas C King said:

I will do. Couldn't see a number on the boat but perhaps they'll take a look. Was hoping that, if I'm in the right, to politely ask them to if I walk past over the weekend.

My thought about breasting up as suggested by Mrsmelly is they may well appear shouting the odds and unmasked.   Not a situation I would want at the moment personally.   Without Covid yes I would breast up and fill up.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Sea Dog said:

And leave your hose behind, running into their bilge... :giggles:

My 70 foot Hudson was the best. There was a dick over 6 hours at Heyford on the waterpoint once so I came alongside rather heavily it was a bloody heavy boat and apologised about the clang b4 climbing over his boat and filling with water, the arse didn't even have a hose out. This boat is only 68 feet and a tinfoil Cole craft shell so wouldn't do the job quite so well lol. 

40 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

There are three boats in Oxford, one moored in front of a water point, the other two moored in front and behind, which means the water point is inaccessible without a very long hose. We walked past the boats at the start of the week, and when we tried to use the water point they were still there. Sucks for us, a one hour cruise to refill is now a four hour one and we haven't moored up yet.

But that's not the point, is this allowed? I thought not, but a few points that made me decide against knocking on their boat in the dark:

- The signs either side of the water point say 'two day mooring'. Nothing says "no mooring except for services", but I have seen such signs elsewhere (e.g., Braunston)

- Unlikely, but perhaps Covid means people can do what they like.

On the other hand, there are plenty of other moorings that they could use in that area, some 7-day and some longer.

Thoughts? We won't bother trying that water point again any time soon, but I'm concerned for others that may be trying to limit their movement etc.

I tried to get extention on a waterpoint it was one of two, and i was refused, another boater was not pleased I was there, by that time I'd got a new battery and running the engine, but CRT were not interested, in all that, though they were going to send a local officer out to help

Just ask or tell them to shift

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have done that more than once.

But does that not mean OP has to touch t'other boat?

If someone is on the boat knock on the boat, if not there then report to CrtT if you can't shift it, tbh, if there is no one on any of the boats I would be in clined to shift them all so they are tight to each other, but the water point is accessible

Edited by LadyG

5 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

We will just complain then, thanks all.

You can phone the emergency number if you want to speak to a CRT staff member or call centre dupervisor, the email is 5 days, and the other numbers are direct to call line staff who would have to pass it on. It is vital there is access to services, absolutely vital

CRT staff eill be working from home.

Edited by LadyG

5 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Very inconsiderate of them.

Perhaps one of these would persuade them to move  .............

image.jpeg.a57b095616dbc8bf8b92583f9d2c714f.jpeg

I borrowed one like that when I had a peeping Tom, he ended up in the police cells on the morning of his wedding, so a nice po,iceman told me, nothing was said about the gun.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I tried to get extention on a waterpoint it was one of two, and i was refused, another boater was not pleased I was there, by that time I'd got a new battery and running the engine, but CRT were not interested, in all that, though they were going to send a local officer out to help

Just ask or tell them to shift

What, longer than half an hour? :cheers:

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

Very inconsiderate of them.

Perhaps one of these would persuade them to move  .............

image.jpeg.a57b095616dbc8bf8b92583f9d2c714f.jpeg

Lovely gun, I had a 686 but had a VERY embarrassing incident that ended up with it being destroyed after I lent it to my best mate at the time!!

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Lovely gun, I had a 686 but had a VERY embarrassing incident that ended up with it being destroyed after I lent it to my best mate at the time!!

This is my favorite "Poachers"  'ratting gun'

410, folds to fit in your inside pocket and lightweight.

And then, my 'special' & most valuable (only 1100 built) UK Military Sniper rifle (used in the Falklands)

IMG-8761.jpg

C9.jpg

C3.jpg

• Greenie 2

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

This is my favorite "Poachers"  'ratting gun'

410, folds to fit in your inside pocket and lightweight.

And then, my 'special' & most valuable (only 1100 built) UK Military Sniper rifle (used in the Falklands)

IMG-8761.jpg

C9.jpg

C3.jpg

I used to own a folding 410 with my other guns, light and easy to stow. They all went at the same time and I promised the missus never to own one again and I havnt for many years now.

• Love 2

Is this the services at Elizabeth Jennings way? I noticed the confusing signage there last month, I think the arrow has been removed. There should be an arrow below the 48h pointing away from the services. Without this arrow the sign appears to indicate the whole services is 48h. Not an excuse though, everyone should know blocking services is selfish. Unfortunately saw a lot of this during lockdown. Some boaters seem to manage to use so little water and alternative toilets such that they can go without needing to move for months and can't comprehend others may like to move to facilities more often than this?

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

Is this the services at Elizabeth Jennings way? I noticed the confusing signage there last month, I think the arrow has been removed. There should be an arrow below the 48h pointing away from the services. Without this arrow the sign appears to indicate the whole services is 48h. Not an excuse though, everyone should know blocking services is selfish. Unfortunately saw a lot of this during lockdown. Some boaters seem to manage to use so little water and alternative toilets such that they can go without needing to move for months and can't comprehend others may like to move to facilities more often than this?

There are numerous terribly signed services around the network.   The waterpoint at Windmill End isn't signposted at all really although it's sort of implied that it's 48 hours, you could also interpret it as 14 days.  The winding hole at Wheaton Aston implies that you can moor in it for 48 hours.  I could go on...