Don't try this at home folks!

David Mack

Featured Posts

Barstewards I hate them... and thoroughly condone them....

I'm just jealous that I never had the fitness not coordination to do anything remotely like that and wouldn't have believed some of the moves were even possible.

Would be interesting to see the rehearsals !

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

I may have missed your point but isn't that what I said?

I may have misinterpreted your post, I read it as the organised safe parkour was generating a subculture of just go out and do it on anybody's property.

Apologies if I read you wrongly.

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I may have misinterpreted your post, I read it as the organised safe parkour was generating a subculture of just go out and do it on anybody's property.

Apologies if I read you wrongly.

No need to apologise, it's easy to misinterpret on here, especially when it's the ramblings of a semi literate monkey

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

I'm just jealous that I never had the fitness not coordination to do anything remotely like that and wouldn't have believed some of the moves were even possible.

Yup, I am slightly jealous as well, even at my most fit and flexible I couldn't consider moves like that

2 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Watch Harry Hill

Largely I say good on them. 

There is a slightly risk, as with anything, but generally getting out and enjoying life is to be encouraged and often will actually extend life when compared to sitting on your arse!

Main risk is the video being seen by inexperienced folk who try to copy it, maybe alone, maybe with it going wrong. But equally the hazards are reasonably obvious people have to have some of their own responsibility.

As for asking CRT, where do you draw the line? I sometimes step over a balance beam, or the tail of a narrow lock, to save walk round. Sometimes I stand in a bridge parapet wall for a better view, and have been known to jump a lock to see if I can. Should I have phoned in to request permission?

While we're here, anyone else remember the winch boarding video? Farmers locks on the BCN

Daniel

On 06/11/2020 at 14:29, mrsmelly said:

No. However if you research you will find that far more motorcyclists visit hospital than other road users. Gross stupidity as shown here and Darwin will intervene.

Have you ever actually lived?

Driving at heavy metal objects with a closing speed of 120mph, separated only by a painted white line, is really quite hazardous. I do it all the time, without much thought, because I am absolutely certain in my ability to use a steering wheel. This (or any other 'dangerous' hobby, practiced sensibly) is no different. Hazard: great. Risk: low - mitigated through hours (and hours and hours and hours and hours) of practice and training, and being very aware of one's skills and shortcomings.

Edited by tehmarks
Double post

1 hour ago, tehmarks said:

Have you ever actually lived?

Driving at heavy metal objects with a closing speed of 120mph, separated only by a painted white line, is really quite hazardous. I do it all the time, without much thought, because I am absolutely certain in my ability to use a steering wheel. This (or any other 'dangerous' hobby, practiced sensibly) is no different. Hazard: great. Risk: low - mitigated through hours (and hours and hours and hours and hours) of practice and training, and being very aware of one's skills and shortcomings.

Well I think I am qualified to answer that. Yes I have actualy lived but the difference is when I did dangerous things I was very highly trained by people who had donkeys years of training not some youngsters playing about on bridges. When I lived in the armed forces I trained with top people and did stuff most people havnt a clue about. As a police pursuit incident car driver I drove at very high speeds pursuing eejuts that thought they could drive just because they could press an accelerator pedal whereas I had hundreds of hours of top training. Later as a DSA ADI I ensured I taught people some of those skills. As a motorcyclist I used to push the limits when safe so yes, I think ive lived.

30 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

the difference is when I did dangerous things I was very highly trained by people who had donkeys years of training not some youngsters playing about on bridges.

I speak as a climber and as someone who didn't make it beyond Westbury due to breaking their leg into three pieces while in the process.

You're seeing the output of some very physically talented people who have 'donkeys years' of practice - the only difference is that instead of being shouted at by some colour sergeant or being paid to be trained or paid to be able to do something, they're doing it entirely through self-interest. You're seeing what looks like youngsters playing on bridges. What you're not seeing is the immense dedication to the process that allows them to play on bridges safely. I can't recall ever hearing about an experienced parkour practitioner ('traceur') spannering themselves through parkour. I've also toured with a circus in my day job (as a lighting designer), and to this day I'm only aware of one serious performance accident in the circus world in the UK in the seven years since I made close friends in the circus community. While I'm sure there will have been more, my point is that they are vanishingly rare despite performers doing dangerous things daily, and despite parkour practitioners doing dangerous things daily. The risk is controlled by their intimate understanding of their physical capabilities, by endless practice in safe settings, and by having and being able to effect an 'out' if it doesn't go to plan.

The 'youngsters' (all in their twenties) in question in this video actually make a living from parkour, and have done so for the past decade. They're not random, stupid or irresponsible youngsters - they're actually incredibly talented at and dedicated to their chosen art form.

And it's probably worth pointing out that death in the Armed Forces through moronic stupidity is not at all unheard of. Quite recently the AAC appear to have loosed off a round from a 30mm cannon while manually handling an Apache on the ground. P'haps they need to be a bit more highly trained?

• Greenie 4

41 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

I speak as a climber and as someone who didn't make it beyond Westbury due to breaking their leg into three pieces while in the process.

You're seeing the output of some very physically talented people who have 'donkeys years' of practice - the only difference is that instead of being shouted at by some colour sergeant or being paid to be trained or paid to be able to do something, they're doing it entirely through self-interest. You're seeing what looks like youngsters playing on bridges. What you're not seeing is the immense dedication to the process that allows them to play on bridges safely. I can't recall ever hearing about an experienced parkour practitioner ('traceur') spannering themselves through parkour. I've also toured with a circus in my day job (as a lighting designer), and to this day I'm only aware of one serious performance accident in the circus world in the UK in the seven years since I made close friends in the circus community. While I'm sure there will have been more, my point is that they are vanishingly rare despite performers doing dangerous things daily, and despite parkour practitioners doing dangerous things daily. The risk is controlled by their intimate understanding of their physical capabilities, by endless practice in safe settings, and by having and being able to effect an 'out' if it doesn't go to plan.

The 'youngsters' (all in their twenties) in question in this video actually make a living from parkour, and have done so for the past decade. They're not random, stupid or irresponsible youngsters - they're actually incredibly talented at and dedicated to their chosen art form.

And it's probably worth pointing out that death in the Armed Forces through moronic stupidity is not at all unheard of. Quite recently the AAC appear to have loosed off a round from a 30mm cannon while manually handling an Apache on the ground. P'haps they need to be a bit more highly trained?

Non of which is relevant to wether

I have ever lived or not. 

My point is that you are decrying a group of people living life the way they want to, because you don't fully understand what they are doing or why they are doing it. You are judging them by their cover, so to speak, and in doing so coming to an incorrect conclusion about the risks involved.

That sort of judgement is precisely what the world needs less of, not more of.

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

How?

They monetised and cashed in on their YouTube following, with some dramas along the way when YouTube demonetised 'dangerous' things (while still allowing Red Bull to monetise all of their content...nothing like double standards?). I don't know exactly how they make money or what the YouTube situation is now, but essentially they appear to have spent much of the past ten years makin enough from their content to, well, live life and make more content.

They are, for all intents and purposes, professional traceurs. What the difference between a professional traceur and a professional response driver is for the purposes of this conversation, I'm not quite sure. I suspect, in all honesty, that the traceur's ongoing training and continued development is more regular and thorough than the qualified response driver's, even if it is somewhat more organic and requires less ticking of boxes.

And though it's really a tangent worthy of a different topic, I stronly suspect that the elimination of risk from daily life is a leading cause of poor mental health. It's something I'm quite passionate about, as someone who does something equally pointless and equally hazaardous for fun.

Edited by tehmarks
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, tehmarks said:
12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

They monetised and cashed in on their YouTube following,

Really? They get fractions of a penny whenever someone clicks on an advertising link, they sell a bit of merchandise, and a few people may donate to them. The videos are very entertaining, but I can't believe that there are the millions of paying viewers out there needed to generate enough money to provide a living for 5 or 6 lads.

30 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Non of which is relevant to wether

I have ever lived or not. 

Most of your post related to how well trained you were, not to whether you "have lived or not".

You were obviously mostly decrying the subjects of the post, as well as trying to tell us that you have lived.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Really? They get fractions of a penny whenever someone clicks on an advertising link, they sell a bit of merchandise, and a few people may donate to them. The videos are very entertaining, but I can't believe that there are the millions of paying viewers out there needed to generate enough money to provide a living for 5 or 6 lads.

As just one example, Will Prowse did a video on how he makes his money a year or so ago. I think he talked about an income of $8000 a month from YouTube, then more when you add in affiliate ads.

Cant recall the absolute numbers, but he is doing OK out of YouTube.

From the net

"YouTube pays money per 1,000 views," Furze said. "It can vary wildly though depending on what the video is. It can be anything from 5p." "I think the maximum is £6 or £7 per 1,000 views, if you get a really popular video."11 Jun 2018

I used to be a stock car driver after hearing the latest pop record hit of the time ''Tell Laura I love her''. I now do things like collecting matchbox labels, beer mats and bottle tops, Oh and Meccano and practice wicker bottom chair repairing.

Edited by bizzard

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Well I think I am qualified to answer that. Yes I have actualy lived but the difference is when I did dangerous things I was very highly trained by people who had donkeys years of training not some youngsters playing about on bridges. When I lived in the armed forces I trained with top people and did stuff most people havnt a clue about. As a police pursuit incident car driver I drove at very high speeds pursuing eejuts that thought they could drive just because they could press an accelerator pedal whereas I had hundreds of hours of top training. Later as a DSA ADI I ensured I taught people some of those skills. As a motorcyclist I used to push the limits when safe so yes, I think ive lived.

I haven't heard that one before old bean. You've mentioned having been a beat constable before but never a pursuit driver.  But I believe you, I think. :unsure::)