Can I visit my boat to winterise it?

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Sadly we still have bottlenecks where you still pass through the village.

That must be past Penrith and then Keswick??

We usually drop down into the lakes from there.

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

That must be past Penrith and then Keswick??

We usually drop down into the lakes from there.

No, Kirkby Thore a few miles east of Penrith, you are dropped to 40 mph and pass a petrol station on the left as you come from your side.

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

No, Kirkby Thore a few miles east of Penrith, you are dropped to 40 mph and pass a petrol station on the left as you come from your side.

Ah yes. That bit. BP garage?

Ive obviously never been held up there.

Which is good.

On 06/11/2020 at 14:05, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe this will help focus the mind :

People in England now face £200 on-the-spot fines for leaving their house without a ‘reasonable excuse’.

New laws to enforce the month-long lockdown include the power for police to impose the penalties across the land.

Under the law, in force until December 2, no person may “leave or be outside” the place they are living without an excuse set out in law.

The place where you are living includes your home, garden, passages, stairways, garages and outhouses.

But it doesn’t include second homes or holiday homes, and the law has an exemption for people who are homeless. Protests are also not allowed.

If the fine is paid within 14 days, it halves to £100. For repeat offenders it doubles each time, up to £6,400.

Police don’t need to prove you broke the law to give you a fine - only to suspect you did so. That means you could find yourself fighting a fine in court.

If you do go down this route, you’d have to prove you had one of the following reasonable excuses.

And if you lose a fight in court, you’d get not just a higher fine, but also a criminal record.

So it’s important you know the law. Here’s the list of reasonable excuses in full:

• If it is ‘reasonable necessary’ to “buy goods or obtain services from” businesses that remain open - either for yourself, household members, or a “vulnerable person” or their household member.
  • To withdraw or deposit money in a bank or building society or similar business.
  • To “take exercise outside”, either alone, with members of your household or support/childcare bubble, or with one person from another household. Under this exemption, there must just be two of you in total - though kids under 5 don’t count towards the limit.
  • To attend a place of worship (though they’re only staying open for private prayer).
  • To attend a Remembrance Sunday event.
  • To visit estate or letting agents or show homes; view properties to buy or rent; prepare a property to move, buy, rent or sell; or move house.
  • To visit someone in your support bubble or childcare bubble. A childcare bubble is when two households join together for informal childcare for a child under 13.
  • To pick up takeaway food or drink.
  • To visit a waste disposal or recycling centre.
  • To attend work, education or training, or provide voluntary or charitable series, if it’s not reasonable to do so from home.
  • To provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person.
  • To provide emergency assistance to any person.
  • To fulfil a legal obligation, including attending court or satisfying bail conditions.
  • To access social services, DWP services, victim of crime services, and asylum and immigration services and interviews.
  • If you’re an elite athlete, to continue training or competition.
  • To seek medical assistance, including to donate blood, attend medical trials or take Covid tests or a vaccine.
  • To avoid injury or illness or escape risk of harm.
  • To be with a mother giving birth, at her request.
  • To visit a household, close family member or friend who is being treated in hospital, a hospice or care home (local rules on visits permitting).
  • To attend a support group, including for domestic abuse victims, addicts and LGBT people, or provide or receive respite care.
  • To visit a household, close family member or friend you reasonably believe is dying.
  • To attend a funeral or wake, or burial ground or garden of remembrance, though there are limits on the numbers who can attend.
  • To attend a marriage or civil partnership, but again there are strict limits on numbers.
  • To allow children with separated parents to move between those two parents’ homes.
  • There are also certain exemptions for children in care and those preparing to be adopted.
  • To visit a vet.
  • To walk or otherwise exercise your pet.
  • To return home if you were on holiday before the lockdown came into force.
  • To visit a close family or friend in prison.

Clearly no one is taking notice of this. Just look at the items on ebay that are for sale , collection only. Not all classes as essential.

8 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Plenty of thousands coming in to Portishead marina today, most looked like they had just been out for a pleasure cruise.

Going boating for is allowed subject to certain conditions including the condition of not stopping on the boat overnight unless the boat is your residence.

16 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Going boating for is allowed subject to certain conditions including the condition of not stopping on the boat overnight unless the boat is your residence.

What are the conditions?

5 minutes ago, PaulD said:

What are the conditions?

You can exercise or visit outdoor public places with:

• the people you live with
• your support bubble
• when on your own 
• 1 person from another household. (Children under 5, as well as disabled people dependent on round-the-clock care are not counted towards the limit on two people meeting outside).

16 minutes ago, Loddon said:

It has to be classed as exercise and a NB aint that.

Yotting is however exercise.

''The regulations do not define what exercise is and therefore recreational boating (all forms of watersports practised on open waterways, including sailing, windsurfing, canoeing, rowing, kayaking, surfing, paddle-boarding and the use of privately-owned motorised craft) from a public outdoor space may be possible provided the restrictions for meeting people socially are adhered to.''

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/news/Pages/coronavirus-advice-and-information-for-recreational-boaters.aspx#1

19 minutes ago, Loddon said:

It has to be classed as exercise and a NB aint that.

Yotting is however exercise.

It seems to me  doing the ropes , operating a canal boat, going through a lock  without moving a muscle might be a bit tricky.  

• Greenie 1

On 06/11/2020 at 00:32, Mike Adams said:

According to the Basingstoke Canal Authority it is not possible to visit a powered boat to winterise it! This is DEFRA advice but I can pay someone to do it because that would be going to work which is essential travel.

Powered boats

Privately owned boatsYou should not be using the water with a powered boat at this timeas in the previous lockdown powered boating is not considered a permitted recreational activity. You must not stay on your boat overnight,unless it is your primary residence. We have sought guidance from DEFRA on whether you can travel to winterize or maintain a privately owned boat and have been informed this is not permitted, as it is considered non-essential travel.

The small number of live-aboard boaters visiting the waterway during lockdown may move from a mooring agreed with the BCA to access boater’s welfare, grocery shops or boatyard facilities and return, but they should not cruise the waterway for other purposes.

Commercial powered boats

Owners of commercial (self-drive hire /passenger boats) may move their boats for work purposes (e.g.; to carryout maintenance).No passenger trips or self-drive hires are permitted

If you leave your boat unattended for any amount of time, you'll need to shield it from winter's adverse effects. We've put some tips together to help you get your boat ready for the colder months ahead.

This will involve:

Inside the ship
Engine, engine
Plumbing activities
Electrical Systems
Outside
The engines
To safeguard possessions

If it came down to the choice of risking my boat or engine due to not having winterised it, or risking a £200 fine, it wouldn't take me long to make the decision. Providing I took all sensible precautions about keeping away from others and doing all the cleaning etc recommended, my conscience would be clear and would willingly pay the fine and incure the stigma of a criminal conviction.

4 hours ago, pdhumal2345 said:

If you leave your boat unattended for any amount of time, you'll need to shield it from winter's adverse effects. We've put some tips together to help you get your boat ready for the colder months ahead.

This will involve:

Inside the ship
Engine, engine
Plumbing activities
Electrical Systems
Outside
The engines
To safeguard possessions

I hadn't realised that there were hire boats in India.

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

I hadn't realised that there were hire boats in India.

The auther Eric Newby and his wife Wanda hired an old ships lifeboat and rowed it down the Ganges.  A good and very humorous read as are his other books.  Love and war in the Appenines., A short walk in the Hindu kush ect.

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, pdhumal2345 said:

This will involve:

Inside the ship
Engine, engine
Plumbing activities
Electrical Systems
Outside
The engines
To safeguard possessions

Are there many ships on the system? And is an "engine, engine" a two cylinder?

I only ask because I want to know.

Trying to find out if I can go to the boat to drain the water system under the new tier rules. Not at all clear but regulations still to be published. I can have sex as long as it is outside in a public place and as long as we keep 2m apart!

18 minutes ago, PaulD said:

Trying to find out if I can go to the boat to drain the water system under the new tier rules. Not at all clear but regulations still to be published. I can have sex as long as it is outside in a public place and as long as we keep 2m apart!

The only thing I have seen is that the tiers will be tougher than those before lockdown 2.   So I would consider the tier you are in and the tier the boat is in.  I suspect if either is in tier 3 the answer will be no (well no if you stick to the rules.)

10 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The only thing I have seen is that the tiers will be tougher than those before lockdown 2.   So I would consider the tier you are in and the tier the boat is in.  I suspect if either is in tier 3 the answer will be no (well no if you stick to the rules.)

That seems to be the case.  All that is published currently is the guidelines 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/local-restriction-tiers-what-you-need-to-know

we will have to wait for the actual legislation to be published to see how exactly it is worded.  I am expecting that we will be in their 3, so I don’t think I will be able to check on the boat until the Christmas amnesty, although that could be written so that even then could not. It is very frustrating.

27 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The only thing I have seen is that the tiers will be tougher than those before lockdown 2.   

Being in a former tier 3 area adjacent a tier 2 area  I thought tier 3 was  worse than the present lockdown due to the travel restrictions between areas of different tiers .

56 minutes ago, PaulD said:

You might be able to do so but only if you sit outside eating a burger and chips.?

Edited by Slim