Great Canal Journeys

dor

Featured Posts

On 07/11/2020 at 11:59, Mad Harold said:

I found the series a bit boring watching a boat cruising along on a sunny day with blue sky and fluffy white clouds and happy smiling people.

The reality is a bit different.

A better more realistic programme would be in my opinion would be to put some of the people on this forum who have strong views together on a canal boat.

I suggest mrsmelly as skipper,LadyG and Dora the Explorer doing the locks,Alan de Enfield making the tea,Tony Brook as consultant engineer,and Tracy D Arth doing the commentary.

Send them up the Huddersfield Narrow in winter,and watch the fun.(and see who gets chucked overboard first!)

Not a bad idea but as usual, getting the women to work the locks! :angry2:.  It's skipper or nothing for me (and my rider would be extensive).  I reckon the Rochdale would be a better challenge than HNC.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

We watched it and found it entertaining - but I was shocked that they gave two novices a 70' X 12' monster to travel on - except that, as per comments above, they probably didn't travel far on it.

I thought it was irresponsible. They did not have enough experience to be let loose like that. They presented a danger to themselves and others. 

If they had been given a few more days training then perhaps OK, but I would prefer to see the same TV programme made with people who are rather more capable. 

• Greenie 1

I thought it was just about ok, but it was not aimed for folk like us. We haven't been out this year so it was nice to see some stuff. In fact we haven't even seen our 58' narrowboat since October last year.  Our usual cruising range alternates roughly Skipton/Bath/Llangollen/Leicester and all points in between. We haven't had much of a year and hope it doesn't get worse!

14 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

I thought it was irresponsible. They did not have enough experience to be let loose like that. They presented a danger to themselves and others. 

If they had been given a few more days training then perhaps OK, but I would prefer to see the same TV programme made with people who are rather more capable. 

I reckon there was probably someone from the boats boat yard hiding in the cabin ready to leap out and take over the steering if anything got seriousely dangerous.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, jeanb said:

I thought it was just about ok, but it was not aimed for folk like us. We haven't been out this year so it was nice to see some stuff. In fact we haven't even seen our 58' narrowboat since October last year.  Our usual cruising range alternates roughly Skipton/Bath/Llangollen/Leicester and all points in between. We haven't had much of a year and hope it doesn't get worse!

I agree - although we did see our boat this October, briefly. Unlike others, part of the fun for people with boating experience (a tiny minority of actual viewers) is being able to spot the continuity, historical and practical errors!

On the safety issue, why is it any more unsafe that hiring out such a boat with very limited instruction to 'normal' hirers? How many get shown an actual lock? Of course, on the Thames, most hirers will encounter a manned lock first time, but are they able to handle one on Self Service? We all were thrown in at the deep end (as it were!) when we first went out and I still recall, over fifty years later, some of the terrible boat handling on that first journey. Did not put us off - just the opposite as we gradually gained reasonable skills by the end of two weeks. What amazed me is how we coped without today's technology. That first hire boat needed several call outs each of which entailed finding a phone box close to the canal. I also am amazed that we returned to the start point on time despite having very little knowledge about how to check out rate of progress and relying entirely on the statement in the brochure that the route was a recommended two week cruise!

Perhaps one of the most important things about these tv progs is that they keep the canals in the public eye and, like the well being agenda, that is going to be increasingly important as CaRT needs to continue to argue for public funding. My only worry is that it makes it look like a retirees activity which is not as good at attracting younger blood. Even so, showing that it is quite possible for an octogenarian is 'a good thing'.

• Greenie 3

Just now, Mike Todd said:

I agree - although we did see our boat this October, briefly. Unlike others, part of the fun for people with boating experience (a tiny minority of actual viewers) is being able to spot the continuity, historical and practical errors!

On the safety issue, why is it any more unsafe that hiring out such a boat with very limited instruction to 'normal' hirers? How many get shown an actual lock? Of course, on the Thames, most hirers will encounter a manned lock first time, but are they able to handle one on Self Service? We all were thrown in at the deep end (as it were!) when we first went out and I still recall, over fifty years later, some of the terrible boat handling on that first journey. Did not put us off - just the opposite as we gradually gained reasonable skills by the end of two weeks. What amazed me is how we coped without today's technology. That first hire boat needed several call outs each of which entailed finding a phone box close to the canal. I also am amazed that we returned to the start point on time despite having very little knowledge about how to check out rate of progress and relying entirely on the statement in the brochure that the route was a recommended two week cruise!

Perhaps one of the most important things about these tv progs is that they keep the canals in the public eye and, like the well being agenda, that is going to be increasingly important as CaRT needs to continue to argue for public funding. My only worry is that it makes it look like a retirees activity which is not as good at attracting younger blood. Even so, showing that it is quite possible for an octogenarian is 'a good thing'.

I agree, but most do not start boating at their age.

I remain of the view that having some more agile, competent, non-geriatrics would make for better TV and be safer.

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I reckon there was probably someone from the boats boat yard hiding in the cabin ready to leap out and take over the steering if anything got seriousely dangerous.

Guaranteed - at one point they were both seen leaning against the back of the cabin, arms on roof - an interesting take on being in control of a boat. Also, they reckoned their first lock was at Sonning - I wonder what happened at Caversham and Mapledurham locks!?

I believe that the production crew have continued to find new material and one that suits Gyles and Sheila. I was trying to decide if there was a guest appearance by the Biscuits at Henley, but remain speculative.

Another observation was that Gyles and Sheila were shown canal steering by Tim on a narrow boat, it seems, but when they came to the Thames they had a wider craft, evidently with a bow thruster.  

17 minutes ago, Heartland said:

I was trying to decide if there was a guest appearance by the Biscuits at Henley, but remain speculative.

Oh!  I'll have to watch it now to see which bit you mean.

(It's not us by the way, we haven't been any further south than Lymm this year)

4 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I think in terms of the hire company in question they do go through a lock with new hirers.  Better Boating is just downstream of Caversham Lock and we shared the lock with one of their hire boats with someone from the boat yard giving instruction.  They were going up, out of the lock cut, turn, and back down.  Mind you the crew were not engaged with what was going on at all, so not sure what they were really learning, but at least the boat yard were trying.

4 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

I enjoyed most of the programme but I failed to see what was so funny about breaking the toilet!

My thoughts exactly.

Particularly if it rendered it useless?

Same as the bridge crashing incident. I dont think the the harbourmaster saw the funny side.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Was I dreaming, or did Captain Birdseye in full uniform, help them through a lock? It's pretty clear that not a meal is taken or a night is spent on board. I don't think I saw them make a coffee. Also, did I see Gyles get off the boat to moor & find the centre line already waiting for him on the landing?

It might be entertainment, but it ain't boating.

28 minutes ago, Midnight Rider said:

It might be entertainment, but it ain't boating.

Sheila is 87 and has zero boating experience. 

Gyles is 72 and has zero boating experience. 

Could the production company please let me know why they think this is an ideal pairing to make an informative canal related programme?

Tim and Pru had a love of the canals and this came through in their early series. I'm afraid a cynical production company pairing can not falsely replicate this. 

Nothing against Sheila, more than happy that she is getting a pay day from this, always enjoy her tv and radio contributions. 

Like all of these things, the presenters are under direction of the producers and directors and every event is prepared and staged to make the programme. I used to wince at the ineptitudes of Tim and Pru....entirely under direction, I’m certain. No boaters with their experience would have been involved in so many collisions and errors. I watched much of last night’s offerings out of tepid interest, the programme is aimed at the general viewer rather than boaters, as I suppose it should be at prime time on Sunday evenings. I doubt I’ll do other than the occasional dip in, in future.

13 hours ago, reg said:

Could the production company please let me know why they think this is an ideal pairing to make an informative canal related programme?

Tim and Pru had a love of the canals and this came through in their early series. I'm afraid a cynical production company pairing can not falsely replicate this. 

Nothing against Sheila, more than happy that she is getting a pay day from this, always enjoy her tv and radio contributions. 

What makes you think this is intended to be an “informative canal related programme”, it is just intended to be a bit of early evening entertainment about two older novices having a go at boating and meeting people you would normally never meet.  It’s no different to all the other reality tv programmes where everything is planned, and staged.  As to replicating Tim & Pru, that would be a mistake as it would at best be a remake and boring, this is trying to be a bit different.  I will try a second episode, but I will be surprised if I bother with the third.

14 hours ago, reg said:

I think its to highlight that anyone can do it which has got to be a good thing I would think?

1 hour ago, 1st ade said:

So will I - I think Sunday was advertised as episode 1 of 2!

But if you read the link I posted earlier they talk of being on canals 

"‘We filmed the first two episodes early in the year, and then two after lockdown, although it was trickier because of social distancing. Sheila and I formed our own bubble, as it were. It’s like a fantasy come true – in a bubble with Sheila Hancock with the pair of us talking non-stop.’"The pair solidified their friendship while appearing on Channel 4's Gogglebox

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

"‘We filmed the first two episodes early in the year, and then two after lockdown, although it was trickier because of social distancing. Sheila and I formed our own bubble, as it were. It’s like a fantasy come true – in a bubble with Sheila Hancock with the pair of us talking non-stop.’"The pair solidified their friendship while appearing on Channel 4's Gogglebox

Noted - my bad.

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why don't they use the centre line!  The amount of times you see hirers doing as the photo and it going pear shaped on them.  The very first time we hired, Kate Boats made a big point that the centre line was you friend when controlling the boat (not when mooring up of course), that has always stuck with me