Great Canal Journeys

dor

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not at all, the TV guides say 1 of 2. so we will have to wait and see

I believe I have read that they completed the first two (Thames and Lee) before the first lockdown and later the next two, with the last being on the Staffs & Worcs

I've just seen this on catchup. It was a trifle dull, but not as bad as I'd imagined from reading previews of the programme. Unlike many here, I can take quite a lot of Sheila and Giles. I liked the obvious love and affection between Tim and Pru, but the series were stretched out a little too much, feeling like a long goodbye.

As someone else said, if having the series with new crew keeps canal boating in the public eye, there's nothing wrong with it. But which "public eye" is the target group? Clearly, few youngsters would be attracted to the scenes of Sheila lamenting her rheumatism and Giles acting as if pushing open a lock gate needed a similar effort to hauling the Flying Scotsman on a rope.

So retirees with a pot of money, keen to do a bit of leisure boating in the summer for a few weeks, calling in on grand-kids along the way. Or retirees spending the winter in a marina with the electric heating running. Nothing wrong with that - they'll give me space to enjoy the canals outside the tourist season, but it's unlikely to attract anyone who fancies the feeling of community and alternative lifestyle that seems to come more with CC-ing year-round.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, john6767 said:

Why don't they use the centre line!  The amount of times you see hirers doing as the photo and it going pear shaped on them.  The very first time we hired, Kate Boats made a big point that the centre line was you friend when controlling the boat (not when mooring up of course), that has always stuck with me

Better photograph