Great Canal Journeys

dor

Featured Posts

Like most people, I enjoyed these series with Tim and Pru.

C4 are showing a new series with Sheila Hancock and Gyles Brandreth starting on Sunday.

Gyles Brandreth?  Oh dear.  Not sure I can suffer more than five minutes of this man.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, dor said:

C4 are showing a new series with Sheila Hancock and Gyles Brandreth starting on Sunday.

Gyles Brandreth?  Oh dear.  Not sure I can suffer more than five minutes of this man.

Marnite I suppose, I can't see Brandreth and Sheila Hancock being a duo, but I may be wrong. Unlikely I am target audience which is just as well, I never watch TV unless in someone's house and I've been left alone for some reason.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, rustynewbery said:

it was sad to watch Pru's demise over the last few series, and we witnessed it first hand when she and Tim were "negotiating" Hillmorton on their own boat. 

Or being stuck behind them for ages till they noticed you and flagged me past whilst Tim gently ran straight up the bank :(

1 hour ago, rustynewbery said:

it was sad to watch Pru's demise over the last few series, and we witnessed it first hand when she and Tim were "negotiating" Hillmorton on their own boat. 

So sad, lovely lady, so very sad. I try to console myself that with gentle caring people around them, the afflicted person is unaware of the disease progression.

Edited by LadyG

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Or being stuck behind them for ages till they noticed you and flagged me past whilst Tim gently ran straight up the bank :(

You no doubt dined out on that story, all part of life's rich tapestry.

Just now, vicafloat said:

I prefer the robbie Cummings series; at least he tried to tell it how it is!

He is on youtube, you don't need to buy a TV licence!

3 hours ago, dor said:

We met them on the staffs and worcs.

He asked a stupid question, knowing the answer. ( primed) I gave him the correct answer.

It didnt go well.

It will be cut.

Then they got off the mud.

21 hours ago, dor said:

He's a lovely chap, I played Monopoly with him in London. Just don't mention "Teddy Bears" :)

I don’t think  you can replace Tim and Pru. But the programme could well be entertaining in a different way. GilesBrandreth is comical and intelligent, you never know. I’m looking forward to seeing the format and humour. Shelia Hancock seems a strange choice in my mind.

I for one hope it works.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Heartland said:

There was certainly something special with Tim and Pru, it will be of interest to see how Giles and Sheila handle this program and also where they go.   

I think the first episode is on the Thames, and the second on the GU.

17 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Not sure they allow narrowboats on the Panama yet.

I was thinking South Atlantic / Southern Ocean - somewhere where others can give them a wide berth. Tim would still have hit something and blame Pru, but I'm keen to give Giles a fair chance... ;)

31 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I was thinking South Atlantic / Southern Ocean - somewhere where others can give them a wide berth. Tim would still have hit something and blame Pru, but I'm keen to give Giles a fair chance... ;)

The funny thing is I think Pru is the worst.  Four years or so ago, moored near bridge 102 between Braunston and Napton, during the day a boat goes past crazy fast while I am working.  I look up to see Tim steering with Pru and another couple on the boat.  Much swearing from me and back to work.  Three hours or so later even worse as a boat goes past, and you have guessed it, them again this time with Pru steering.  Worst case of speeding past moored boats on a canal I have experienced to date.

I've seen Gyles Brandreth on TV (on Countdown some years ago) and I wasn't upset by the experience at all. Seemed like a decent bloke to me, not irritating but fun.

If they're doing the Thames then the GU in separate episodes, do we get a chunk about the Teddington to Brentford transit too?

There would be interesting things to show and say there.

10 hours ago, Peter X said:

If they're doing the Thames then the GU in separate episodes, do we get a chunk about the Teddington to Brentford transit too?

There would be interesting things to show and say there.

I doubt it. We were chatting to a couple on the towpath when we stopped outside Brum a couple of weeks ago who had been employed by the hire company to move the boat they used for this series down to the Thames for the filming. From what they were saying they spent a lot of time getting the boat to certain locations at a specific time for the filming sections and then moving it on again without the celebs.