How to set up a suitcase generator???

James H

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Just wondering how I would set up a small 1k suitase generator so I can use the power directly but also any excess power goes into topping up my four leisure batteries? 

I have 400 watts of solar on the roof aswel! 

Not sure if I need a seperate controller! Or if I just plug into the shoreline and switch it over!!

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers.

8 minutes ago, James H said:

Hi all,

Just wondering how I would set up a small 1k suitase generator so I can use the power directly but also any excess power goes into topping up my four leisure batteries? 

I have 400 watts of solar on the roof aswel! 

Not sure if I need a seperate controller! Or if I just plug into the shoreline and switch it over!!

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers.

Stand generator on the bank, down wind of your boat.

Plug your shoreline into your boat plug

Plug your shoreline into the generator socket

Start generator

Plug your 'tool' into your normal 3-pin socket on the boat 230V circuit.

Plug* your battery charger into  a normal 3-pin socket on the boat 230V circuit

*It depends on how your battery charger is wired - many are directly connected to the incoming 'shore line' so just do what you normally do when plugging into a bollard.

Edit to add :

Are you still thinking of a gas powered 'Jenny' ?

the 'rules' are the same for both Gas and petrol, but you MUST not store a petrol generator inside the boat, it must go into a locker with an overboard drain (similar to your gas locker)

A petrol generator will have fuel &/or volatile fumes in the carb so is very dangerous.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

It depends on what you have inside the boat connected to its mains circuits. If you have a battery charger or Combi inverter, then yes plugging in the generator will charge the batteries. If it is a Combi, normally you can set a current limit such that charging only takes place when the overall demand is less than the current limit - in other words, other stuff you might be using on the boat takes priority over the Combi battery charging.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Stand generator on the bank, down wind of your boat.

Plug your shoreline into your boat plug

Plug your shoreline into the generator socket

Start generator

Plug your 'tool' into your normal 3-pin socket on the boat 230V circuit.

Plug* your battery charger into  a normal 3-pin socket on the boat 230V circuit

*It depends on how your battery charger is wired - many are directly connected to the incoming 'shore line' so just do what you normally do when plugging into a bollard.

Edit to add :

Are you still thinking of a gas powered 'Jenny' ?

the 'rules' are the same for both Gas and petrol, but you MUST not store a petrol generator inside the boat, it must go into a locker with an overboard drain (similar to your gas locker)

A petrol generator will have fuel &/or volatile fumes in the carb so is very dangerous.

Thanks, I was thinking of getting petrol for two reasons, main reason its alot more economical I think! 

And secondly they run hotter on LPG apparently that can make a few probs supposedly! Like harder to start etc! 

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this! 

Also petrol I can run off the boat safley and tie up to a ring/something solid! 

57 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or, throws it in the cut when you leave it running after 8pm

?

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

It depends on what you have inside the boat connected to its mains circuits. If you have a battery charger or Combi inverter, then yes plugging in the generator will charge the batteries. If it is a Combi, normally you can set a current limit such that charging only takes place when the overall demand is less than the current limit - in other words, other stuff you might be using on the boat takes priority over the Combi battery charging.

I have a:

'Sterling Advanced 4 step Split Charge Alternator to Battery Charger'. 

And a:

'Pro Power S sine wave inverter' (240v). 

So if I plug the lead straight from the inverter to my shore line socket, switch over the switch to the shoreline socket, then hopefully that'll go through my alternator/battery charger and into the batteries, as well as through the inverter into my 240v sockets! 

Right?! 

Cheers.

I haven't got the generator yet, am still just trying to figure out my exact set up first! 

Appreciate the help. ?

6 minutes ago, James H said:

Thanks, I was thinking of getting petrol for two reasons, main reason its alot more economical I think! 

And secondly they run hotter on LPG apparently that can make a few probs supposedly! Like harder to start etc! 

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this! 

Also petrol I can run off the boat safley and tie up to a ring/something solid! 

I've never tun an LPG Generator, having to lift a big Gas cylinder on and off each time is just asking for 'back-trouble' (once every few months is enough). Using smaller clinders is horrendously expensive and you have to find somewhere (safe) to store them.

I believe LPG adaptions has come along way in recent years, you used to have to start on petrol and switch over to LPG, and then switch over back to petrol to shut-down.

Certainly a petrol generator is more convenient but, BE AWARE of the fuel storage LAWS (not just the Boat safety rules) and ensure you keep both the generator and the fuel in a self draing locker (to the same specification as your gas locker) when not in use. 

As mentioned previously the generator must only be used 'on shore'.

Petrol Storage On Boats

https://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petrol-storage-club-association.htm

You can store up to 30 litres of petrol at home or at non-workplace premises without informing your local Petroleum Enforcement Authority (PEA).

You can store it in:

suitable portable metal or plastic containers

one demountable fuel tank

a combination of the above as long as no more than 30 litres is kept

For these purposes 'premises' are as defined in the Health and Safety Work Act, etc. 1974 and includes, for example, motor vehicles, boats and aircraft.

What containers can I use to store petrol?

The legislation allows you to store petrol in the following containers:

plastic containers storing up to 10 litres

metal containers storing up to 20 litres

demountable fuel tank up to 30 litres

Suitable portable containers are defined in Schedule 2 (para 6) and Schedule 3 of the regulations. UN approved containers are an example of such containers.

More detailed information on portable petrol storage containers (PDF) - Portable Document Format is available.

Does the petrol in the fuel tank of my car count towards the total I can store?

No – the petrol in the fuel tank of your vehicle, including boats and aircraft, does not count when you are calculating the total amount you are storing.

How much petrol can I store on a vehicle?

You can store up to 30 litres of petrol in a maximum of 2 suitable containers in your vehicle.  For the purpose of these Regulations a ‘vehicle’ is interpreted as any type of vehicle so includes boats, aircraft and hovercraft. This type of storage counts towards the total you can store at non workplace premises. Carriage of petrol is covered by the Carriage of Dangerous Goods (CDG) and the European agreement (ADR).

17 minutes ago, James H said:

So if I plug the lead straight from the inverter to my shore line socket, switch over the switch to the shoreline socket, then hopefully that'll go through my alternator/battery charger and into the batteries, as well as through the inverter into my 240v sockets! 

I'm not sure I follow, are you suggesting that the inverter is used to power the battery charger ?

So, battery power supplies the inverter, that changes the 12v DC to 230v AC,, provides power to the battery charger, which reduces the voltage to 12v DC to charge the batteries ?

This will flatten the batteries, not charge them.

Is your battery charger and inverter a 'combined' piece of electronics, or, two separate 'boxes' ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Sorry I am a complete novice trying to get my head around all this! 

Yes the charger and inverter are two seperate boxes. Does that mean the charger wont charge the batteries when plugged into the generator?! 

I.e I'll need a seperate battery charger!

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I've never tun an LPG Generator, having to lift a big Gas cylinder on and off each time is just asking for 'back-trouble' (once every few months is enough). Using smaller clinders is horrendously expensive and you have to find somewhere (safe) to store them.

I believe LPG adaptions has come along way in recent years, you used to have to start on petrol and switch over to LPG, and then switch over back to petrol to shut-down.

Certainly a petrol generator is more convenient but, BE AWARE of the fuel storage LAWS (not just the Boat safety rules) and ensure you keep both the generator and the fuel in a self draing locker (to the same specification as your gas locker) when not in use. 

As mentioned previously the generator must only be used 'on shore'.

Petrol Storage On Boats

https://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petrol-storage-club-association.htm

You can store up to 30 litres of petrol at home or at non-workplace premises without informing your local Petroleum Enforcement Authority (PEA).

You can store it in:

suitable portable metal or plastic containers

one demountable fuel tank

a combination of the above as long as no more than 30 litres is kept

For these purposes 'premises' are as defined in the Health and Safety Work Act, etc. 1974 and includes, for example, motor vehicles, boats and aircraft.

What containers can I use to store petrol?

The legislation allows you to store petrol in the following containers:

plastic containers storing up to 10 litres

metal containers storing up to 20 litres

demountable fuel tank up to 30 litres

Suitable portable containers are defined in Schedule 2 (para 6) and Schedule 3 of the regulations. UN approved containers are an example of such containers.

More detailed information on portable petrol storage containers (PDF) - Portable Document Format is available.

Does the petrol in the fuel tank of my car count towards the total I can store?

No – the petrol in the fuel tank of your vehicle, including boats and aircraft, does not count when you are calculating the total amount you are storing.

How much petrol can I store on a vehicle?

You can store up to 30 litres of petrol in a maximum of 2 suitable containers in your vehicle.  For the purpose of these Regulations a ‘vehicle’ is interpreted as any type of vehicle so includes boats, aircraft and hovercraft. This type of storage counts towards the total you can store at non workplace premises. Carriage of petrol is covered by the Carriage of Dangerous Goods (CDG) and the European agreement (ADR).

Thanks very much for all that. I think I have a locker for that purpose on board, I'll check first and get the correct approved containers. And yes agree LPG is not cheap nor practical, unless you ran your genne on the back deck, but thats not a good idea nor safe so wont be doing that. 

Cheers.

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, James H said:

Sorry I am a complete novice trying to get my head around all this! 

Yes the charger and inverter are two seperate boxes. Does that mean the charger wont charge the batteries when plugged into the generator?! 

I.e I'll need a seperate battery charger!

Thanks.

You haven’t mentioned a battery charger, so I’m not sure you have one. The Sterling alternator to battery charger does what it says on the tin, goes between the alternator and the battery, it is nothing to do with converting mains power to charge the batteries. As you have described the system, there will be no battery charging when you plug in the generator. You need a battery charger!

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

You haven’t mentioned a battery charger, so I’m not sure you have one. The Sterling alternator to battery charger does what it says on the tin, goes between the alternator and the battery, it is nothing to do with converting mains power to charge the batteries. As you have described the system, there will be no battery charging when you plug in the generator. You need a battery charger!

Its says on the box:

'Sterling Advanced 4 step Split Charge Alternator to Battery Charger'. 

So I assume it will charge the batteries then. Of thats the case I need to know what size generator to get to go with this specific battery charger right!! 

2 minutes ago, James H said:

Its says on the box:

So I assume it will charge the batteries then. Of thats the case I need to know what size generator to get to go with this specific battery charger right!! 

That device charges the batteries from the alternator connected to your engine it doesn't charge from other sources.

You need a mains battery charger to charge from shore power or a generator.

8 minutes ago, James H said:

Its says on the box:

No, that box is designed to interface between the alternator and the batteries. It expects around 14v dc input, not 230v ac mains. It will charge the batteries from the alternator (and only the alternator). It is a completely different beast to what you would normally call a battery charger.

Edited by nicknorman