Looking To Buy First Time For Liveaboard

Dozee

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

My last grp cruiser had the gas bottle mounted on the transom in a rack.

It passed it's BSC examination like this.

It complied with the rules ie,being able to vent and drain overboard.

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

I have seen boats with gas bottles outside the hull, open to the elements, but shielded by a steel surround, looks a lot tidier.

But these are not outside the hull, unless the owner has shelves on the outside as well

20 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But these are not outside the hull, unless the owner has shelves on the outside as well

I think they are outside under the pram hood in the cruiser stern, I'm not suggesting how they are installed is a good idea by the way but I do think they are outside the cabin

11 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I think they are outside under the pram hood in the cruiser stern, I'm not suggesting how they are installed is a good idea by the way but I do think they are outside the cabin

Agreed but the comments I replied to were about bottles out on the stern etc. You can have a gas bottle on an open deck provided other things are taken into consideration, its not just a gas locker that is required.

image.png.2827a8ee8c60ee5ed42e15943ae03b8f.png

image.png.bbbed7e0c7ac01322802417bea91a7e5.png

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 3

Piece of advice to the OP which you may take or not, but if you find a boat you like the look of perhaps don't post the link.  Maybe just the pertinent pictures to your concern or request for help with information. The moment you put a link those that don't bother to do the careful research that you have done could likely benefit and snap it up before you do. 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes, not inside,, but must have been about upsides the tiller, they were outside the pramhood

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for delay in responding, just moved again, here are the additional details I received which may flesh out some answers

Toddy II

Construction
Width 6/10 Draft 2/0
Construction STEEL Horse power 42
Hull Builder SOAR STEEL BOATS Fit out GWV LTD
Steel Spec 10/6/5 Cratch YES
Rear Cover YES Side Hatch YES 1X BEDROOM 1X SALOON
Engine
Engine Make ISUZU Engine Model 42
Engine hours 3300 Last Service SEPT 2019
Gearbox PRM 150 Bowthuster NO
230v Landline YES Inverter VICTRON 3000w
Domestic Batteries ROLLS TRACTION SINGLE 354A Starter 80A
Battery Management VICTRON Generator NONE
Heating
Heating System ALDE COMPACT GAS & ELECTRIC Radiators YES
Calorifier ENGINE HEATED Gas 2X 19KG CYLINDERS
Water Tank STAINLESS STEEL Capacity 100 GALLONS
Fuel Tank Capacity 40 GALLONS Insulation SPRAY FOAM PLUS AIRTEC
Waste Tank Capacity 155 GALS Hot Water supply CALORIFIER
Cabin
Cabin Lining CEILING T&G PAINTED, OAK FACED PLY TO WALLS
Trim OAK MOULDINGS
Flooring KARNDEAN PLANKS Berths 2

Bedroom
Bedroom KING SIZE BED INTO BOW Storage Under YES- LIFT UP BED
Wardrobes YES- BUILT IN OAK Overhead Storage NONE
Dressing Table NONE
Extra Notes FULL SIZE BED 5/0 X 6/6
Bathroom
Bath or shower SHOWER Toilet Type
Vanity Basin CERAMIC BOWL IN OAK UNIT Heated Towel Rail YES- CHROME
Extra Notes
Kitchen/Galley
Floor Units YES BESPOKE OAK CUPBOARDS AND DRAWERS
Wall units YES BESPOKE OAK UNITS WITH DISPLAY
Cooker Make SPINFLO Fridge Make SHORELINE 12V
Microwave NO
Washing Machine SINGLE TUB WASHER & DOMESTIC SPINNER
Extra Notes DOMESTIC SD 5/5 SINK
Saloon
Dinette FOLD DOWN TABLE FINISHED IN OAK
TV Cupboard SHELF UNIT WITH ADJUSTABLE SHELVES
Bookshelves YES- OAK
Solid Fuel Stove EVERGREEN C1 STOVE- MULTI FUEL
Seating 2x TUB CHAIRS IN SALOON 2X FOLDING CHAIRS IN SPARE ROOM
Extra Notes SECONDARY DOUBLE GLAZING FROM WORCESTER WINDOWS

History
Current owner FROM NEW Previous Owners NONE
Last Blacked EPOXY RESIN RECOATED DECEMBER 2016
Anodes replaced ORIGINAL
Last Survey DURING CONSTRUCTION Copy Available NA
BSC Expiry Date Last boiler service NOT REQUIRED
CE Mark / RCD Status Unknown/complies? YES- CERT OF CONFORMITY

Robert

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

ELECTRIC RADIATORS !!

O'dear, O'dear, sounds like a boat set up for permanent mooring not for cruising.

Maybe check if it really does have them, or if it just formatting of the list.

looks like an error.  You wouldn't pair an Alde with electric radiators

1 hour ago, Dozee said:

I had a look at pictures the electric ones are supplemental to the plumbed in ones

Robert

Did you see the domestic battery, the nearest to that size I could find weighs 90Kg There is a video here https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=302151177776318&_rdr

Edited by ditchcrawler
Video link

• 5 months later...

Hi all

Ok found a boat I like and now viewed, what is the process for a private seller buyer and the boat does have finance on it of 18k, do I need a solicitor or just the online paperwork as concerned about getting conned.

Thanks all

I have no idea, strikes me that you are winding us up.

Did the vendor find that every other prospective purchaser just ran away when they discovered this flaw, viz it may not be owned by the vendor. How can you possibly know? 

What does the vendor suggest? 

Is it usual for the vendor to borrow money against a boat, I would say not.

I trust its not the same scam I was asked to get involved in, a boat offered by New and Used, but the vendor wanted me to transfer money to a third party. 

Ask for Receipts / Bill of Sale. 

Don't expect a solicitor to help you, they are not in that business. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I have no idea, strikes me that you are winding us up.

Did the vendor find that every other prospective purchaser just ran away when they discovered this flaw, viz it may not be owned by the vendor. How can you possibly know? 

What does the vendor suggest? 

Is it usual for the vendor to borrow money against a boat, I would say not.

I trust its not the same scam I was asked to get involved in, a boat offered by New and Used, but the vendor wanted me to transfer money to a third party. 

Winding us up, youve hardly been here for a month after your last lot of over posting,  and open up with that...

Boat mortgages and people taking loans out to finance a boat is very common.

.and yes, it complicates matters

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

Well I'm normally pretty polite but, pull your head in, I have asked a question about a boat I have found to purchase, that has finance on it, they have given me the finance company name but obviously that does not help, should I just say needs to be paid and then we can proceed, they have there survey from 8 months ago when they purchased and the previous owners from about 12 months ago.

The boat is open plan which they said put people off but actually I like, IS THAT OK WITH YOU, no windup

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Dozee said:

Hi all

Ok found a boat I like and now viewed, what is the process for a private seller buyer and the boat does have finance on it of 18k, do I need a solicitor or just the online paperwork as concerned about getting conned.

Thanks all

Quite simple, discuss with the Finance company and see what they require, it will probably be :

1) Pay the outstanding balance directly to the finance company.

2) Pay the remainder to the present 'owner'.

If there is a mortgage on the boat then legally the finance company will be the owner and and paperwork, bill of sale etc should be signed and agreed by them. There will probably be a statement to this effect in the mortgage contract, something like "it cannot be sold without the permission of the finance company"

Yes - it will be very easy to get yourself into a mess. If you were to pay 100% to the 'owner' and he didn't pay off the debt, the finanace company could come and take the boat off you and you lose everything.

If the loan is a personal loan from the bank to the 'owner' then the boat is not taken as security and it can be sold.

Do some research.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

Hi

Finance is through promarine, from the seller below;

Also, we thought we'd say that the finance provider we used was a company called Promarine Finance (https://www.marine-finance.org/) - if you wanted to also corroborate that we have all of the original paperwork - they're the ones holding onto it all until the loan amount is paid off and would be able to confirm that it's all there.

I think I'm going to have to ask them to get it paid out first before I proceed as that seems the safest course.

Robert

1 minute ago, Dozee said:

Hi

Finance is through promarine, from the seller below;

Also, we thought we'd say that the finance provider we used was a company called Promarine Finance (https://www.marine-finance.org/) - if you wanted to also corroborate that we have all of the original paperwork - they're the ones holding onto it all until the loan amount is paid off and would be able to confirm that it's all there.

I think I'm going to have to ask them to get it paid out first before I proceed as that seems the safest course.

Robert

If they had to borrow the money to buy it, they are unlikely to have £18,000 under the bed to pay off the loan.

AGAIN, I suggest you talk with the true owner (the finance company). They may say "pay us all the money, we will take what is owed to us and send the rest to the current 'owner'. 

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

Well that one did not work out, signed contract and they came back saying they wanted another 10k on the agreed price, blew that out and found another which I take possession of on sunday woohoo, would like to thank all the positive contributions for advice and help, now my new life begins

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Dozee said:

Well that one did not work out, signed contract and they came back saying they wanted another 10k on the agreed price, blew that out and found another which I take possession of on sunday woohoo, would like to thank all the positive contributions for advice and help, now my new life begins

Buying a 2nd hand boat can be worse than dealing with a 2nd hand car salesman, and more fustrating than trying to get any sense from an estate agent

I find it disappointing that people are not honest but greedy, there is no need, at the end of the day I think I have got a better boat, there's is still up for sale and I hope it takes bloody ages, I will post details and pictures once on board, no dought I will be back for advice and guidance, again many thanks people, it shows what a community is about.

Robert