Looking To Buy First Time For Liveaboard

Dozee

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The pop star?

You're showing your age . ☺️

Sadly, Trevor Ward - Davies (Dozy)passed away five year ago.

the OP. Obviously I don't remember that far back, good you can still though  ??

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dozee said:

Hi all

an update, the one at Whilton is under offer and not by me, i was going to book a survey but now back to searching, will keep looking , but on the brigher side im hoping to see a single bedroom bedsit this week.

Dozee

Keep in touch.

Jo

6 hours ago, Dozee said:

Hi all

an update, the one at Whilton is under offer and not by me, i was going to book a survey but now back to searching, will keep looking , but on the brigher side im hoping to see a single bedroom bedsit this week.

Dozee

You have answered the main question with this post. I suggest you dont waste your time looking at boats as actualy you are looking for somewhere to live and not for a boat. You will not be happy on a boat.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Dozee said:

Actually I will still be looking as the bedsit is just a short term fix, at 55 I did not intend to be living in a bed sit for longer than I have to.

Dozee

In that case, thats good as an immediate solution to your problem,  and will presumably mean you will have a lump sum ready that if you need it and carry on to get a boat. It gives you time to look in a less hurried way, and to keep learning in the meantime, what you need to know, and what you want from a boat. Keep looking at as many as you can, don't stick strictly to ybudget, get a feel for different boats...once free to view again. 

• Greenie 1

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, Dozee said:

Update

Now found a bit more money for the kitty, have found this one, hoping for a bit of feedback, mainly about what would be a realistic offer https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/soar-valley-57-semi-trad-for-sale/653855

Thanks all

Robert

I'd suggest that the gas bottle installation is 'very suspect' and probably not even compliant with the safety regulations.

Could be worth asking some questions.

4838203.jpg

42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd suggest that the gas bottle installation is 'very suspect' and probably not even compliant with the safety regulations.

Could be worth asking some questions.

4838203.jpg

That is a strange one, unless its inside the gas locker. The rest looks very good and tidy 

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is a strange one, unless its inside the gas locker. The rest looks very good and tidy 

I couldn't work it out either.

If it is a gas-locker' it would appear to be huge and (maybe) has a door on the LH side.

A gas locker should not contain any loose items, and should be gas-tight (except for the drain hole) to above the height of the regulator.

It's weird.

There's things I like about it and things I don't.  But the information is so scant!

Needs a stove.  Needs a washing machine.  Needs solar.  Those 3 are gonna add around £2k if done properly.

I'd want to know about recent maintenance. 

Batteries

Alternator

Charger

What is the current heating arrangement

Hot water? How?

Water tank size and type.

Toilet details?  Holding tank?

I could go on...

I'd always question why people expect someone to show an interest in shelling out £60k with so little effort on the advert.

And yes, why isn't there a dedicated gas locker?  How has this passed a BSS?

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

BSS expires 2024.  Any bets the gas system wasn't installed when the test was done last year?

I'd demand a new BSS test as a condition of sale, but even a bad surveyor should spot this!

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

BSS expires 2024.  Any bets the gas system wasn't installed when the test was done last year?

I'd demand a new BSS test as a condition of sale, but even a bad surveyor should spot this!

Or that the inspector is a mate?  Or any of various work arounds.  I knew a guy who simply removed all gas appliances prior to each test and then put them all back after.

38 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I agree.The gas bottles should be in a locker vented and drained to outside.

Look at the BSC, it will list the items inspected.If the gas system is listed as N/A,it has most likely been removed before inspection.If it has been passed,be very suspicious.

I think it is a wow boat, looks as though its not done much cruising, but of course those pics might be taken at any time.

It needs a stove, £2K, and the rest. 

Solar fitter by boat fitters £1000, plus. 

Gas lockers £500

My immediate gut feeling was that it is overpriced, but they might come down, if it really attracts you, find out about the gas locker, it's worth a phone call.

I see they have those brass plaques in galley, so it has been outside a marina. 

Edited by LadyG

The forward cabin has he double bed against the front bulkhead, and there is no access through to the well deck. So I suspect the whole well deck has been deemed to be the gas locker. Not good though.

There appears to be a side door access on the starboard side behind the double bed, but none on the port side. So getting to and from the front of the boat when mooring is not going to be straightforward.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

There's things I like about it and things I don't.  But the information is so scant!

Needs a stove.  Needs a washing machine.  Needs solar.  Those 3 are gonna add around £2k if done properly.

I'd want to know about recent maintenance. 

Batteries

Alternator

Charger

What is the current heating arrangement

Hot water? How?

Water tank size and type.

Toilet details?  Holding tank?

I could go on...

I'd always question why people expect someone to show an interest in shelling out £60k with so little effort on the advert.

It gave me the feeling it had been well cared for, even down to the gas locker.

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Actually, looking again I think the entire welldeck and cratch area is being used as the gas locker.

If the forward bulkhead is gas tight it might be compliant, and there doesn't appear to be any door beyond the bed.

Seems an odd arrangement though.

I have seen boats with gas bottles outside the hull, open to the elements, but shielded by a steel surround, looks a lot tidier.

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

I have seen boats with gas bottles outside the hull, open to the elements, but shielded by a steel surround, looks a lot tidier.

My last grp cruiser had the gas bottle mounted on the transom in a rack.

It passed it's BSC examination like this.

It complied with the rules ie,being able to vent and drain overboard.