Looking To Buy First Time For Liveaboard

Dozee

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't know why you cqn't view it, ask them if they oen the boat themselves (legal reason, it's better for you).

Marinas and brokers are not public spaces, and, they are hardly likely to be classed as essential businesses - they would probably be fined £1,000's  if the opened for business.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Marinas and brokers are not public spaces, and, they are hardly likely to be classed as essential businesses - they would probably be fined £1,000's  if the opened for business.

I had an email from ABNB yesterday, where they said they had been advised by the British Marine Federation and the YBDSA that boat brokerage is a non essential industry and that they would be closing for lockdown. Virtual viewings may be possible and they advise that some surveyors and boat yards are still operating, so boats can still progress through the sale process. 

I notice most other brokers seem to be staying open for now, but I think they are on pretty dodgy ground in doing so. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, booke23 said:

I had an email from ABNB yesterday, where they said they had been advised by the British Marine Federation and the YBDSA that boat brokerage is a non essential industry and that they would be closing for lockdown. Virtual viewings may be possible and they advise that some surveyors and boat yards are still operating, so boats can still progress through the sale process. 

I notice most other brokers seem to be staying open for now, but I think they are on pretty dodgy ground in doing so. 

The man needs a roof over his head, that's essential.

Pertty sure whilton not BMF member

Edited by LadyG
  • Horror 1

3 minutes ago, booke23 said:

I had to call into the garage on Wednesday, they said the garage would stay open but they had to close the car sales side.

28 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Oh, what's an Aqua drive?

Its a short shaft between the gearbox and propshaft with a constant velocity joint on either end with a solid mounted thrust block bearing. It means engine alignment is less critical, stern tube and shaft should last forever.  The photo of the first boat in Dozee' thread has one..       Depicted is the principal of the CV joint, imagine one on each end of a shaft.  Most cars use em too.

280px-Simple_CV_Joint_animated.gif

280px-Simple_CV_Joint_animated.gif

Edited by bizzard
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I had to call into the garage on Wednesday, they said the garage would stay open but they had to close the car sales side.

Yes, but nobody sells a car as a liveaboard.

24 minutes ago, booke23 said:

I'm only the messenger........Tell that to the BMF/YBDSA and the Governement!

I don't think the governmrnt have a view on providing a home for Op

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Wont make much difference if the brokers are all closed, I can't see them opening especially for him

I would if it meant I'd make £3K in comission for one day's inconvenience, and if all the other brokers refuse to let him view, it increases the chance of a sale spectacularly. He should be capable of convincing thrm hr is not a tyre kicker, In fact I would have thought that this would have been picked up by someone on here thinking of selling, .

35 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Motorhomes

That's a van 

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I would if it meant I'd make £3K in comission for one day's inconvenience, and if sll the other brokers refuse to let him view, it increases the chance of a sale spectacularly. He should be capable of convincing thrm hr is not a tyre kicker, In fact I would have thought that this would have been picked up bd soneone thinking of selling, .

That's a van 

Have a look at the government website it says  businesses that sell boats are not essential and must remain closed no exceptions no buts no maybes do you understand that? I have no doubt that the fine will be bigger than the profit 

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I would if it meant I'd make £3K in comission for one day's inconvenience, and if all the other brokers refuse to let him view, it increases the chance of a sale spectacularly. He should be capable of convincing thrm hr is not a tyre kicker, In fact I would have thought that this would have been picked up by someone on here thinking of selling, .

My goodness, you have changed your tune since the last lockdown when you went on at great length about folk not following the rules. This time you seem to be advocating rule breaking by yourself and others. 

Haggis

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 3

Will be phoning them Sunday, to see if I can wrangle a visit, don't need to meet him just need the boat opened up for a view the same as the other marina did, will ask all the questions then and possibly look to try and book a survey

Dozee

2 hours ago, booke23 said:

ABNB are moving to North Kilworth and getting rid of long serving staff who dont want to travel that far. I would think this is an ideal time to bury bad news (as someone once said).

BMF hasnt given that advice out to all, and estate agents are still allowed to trade....GHBS..."own your own home.."

10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

ABNB are moving to North Kilworth and getting rid of long serving staff who dont want to travel that far. I would think this is an ideal time to bury bad news (as someone once said).

BMF hasnt given that advice out to all, and estate agents are still allowed to trade....GHBS..."own your own home.."

The gov website says that businesses selling boats are not essential and must stay closed! Think they mean that boats arnt houses even though we know different. That doesn't mean that private boats cant be sold though 

19 minutes ago, matty40s said:

In that case I suppose it might suit ABNB to close. Seems a shame for long serving staff not to continue........North Kilworth is only 10 miles up the road. 

I was thinking that brokers that are staying open might use the 'estate agent' excuse, but it's shaky ground. Officially, GHBS are saying on their website that their offices are closed to the public. 

Edited by booke23

1 hour ago, Dozee said:

Will be phoning them Sunday, to see if I can wrangle a visit, don't need to meet him just need the boat opened up for a view the same as the other marina did, will ask all the questions then and possibly look to try and book a survey

Dozee

Posted in another thread :

image.png

10 hours ago, haggis said:

My goodness, you have changed your tune since the last lockdown when you went on at great length about folk not following the rules. This time you seem to be advocating rule breaking by yourself and others. 

Haggis

I don't remember that , Haggis, I do recall the incident of being crowded by a load of unmasked sixth formers at Worksop railway (post lockdown1), I complained to a rail ombudsman of sorts, after not answering my query, viz. what is the ruling and who is policing it, and why are there no posters on the premises clarifying the rules? He said it was nothing to do with him, inspite of his job title of overall policing of railway regulations.

I am not suggesting OP does anything other than make essential journeys to buy a boat to live on, that cannot be anything to do with non essential viewing.

Edited by LadyG

9 hours ago, peterboat said:

The gov website says that businesses selling boats are not essential and must stay closed! Think they mean that boats arnt houses even though we know different. That doesn't mean that private boats cant be sold though 

If the business was fined, or if the Op was fined, there is recourse to the justice system, as I understand it the OP could face a criminal record if he loses, but I cannot see a Justce giving someone a criminal record in pusuit of the purches of a home.

If his journey to purchase a boat from a private individual is essential, then his journey to a a trader is also essential, and indeed vice versa.

There is a big difference in risk of transmission of infection between one individual going in his car, picking up a key and inspecting a boat on his own, ie risk of transmission of infection is zero, and me being crowded in an enclosed space by a dozen or so unmasked  teenagers.

The reason the Lockdown 1 and the disease built up again is due to the fact that people did not apply strict enough hygiene measures. The oft quoted  two metres, or six feet if you live in the US was a minimum distance, and many people just ignored it anyway, as they did the bit about one person to do the shopping, and although Scotland allowed daily shopping, it would be obvious that the fewer visits to the shops, the better.

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I don't remember that , Haggis, I do recall the incident of being crowded by a load of unmasked sixth formers at Worksop railway (post lockdown1), I complained to a rail ombudsman of sorts, after not answering my query, viz. what is the ruling and who is policing it, and why are there no posters on the premises clarifying the rules? He said it was nothing to do with him, inspite of his job title of overall policing of railway regulations.

I am not suggesting OP does anything other than make essential journeys to buy a boat to live on, that cannot be anything to do with non essential viewing.

I wasn't thinking of the train episode, I was thinking back to how you used to go on at great length about your view of the behaviour of others in the marina yet now you are saying there is absolutely no risk in you visiting bookies and pubs or someone going to look at a boat in a marina and being handed (possibly contaminated) keys and looking over a (possibly contaminated) boat. . You also complained recently about the fact that as a CCer you weren't allowed to cruise if you wanted to. I must admit that made me smile when I thought how little cruising you have done since you bought the boat ? 

haggis

• Greenie 4

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

If the business was fined, or if the Op was fined, there is recourse to the justice system, as I understand it the OP could face a criminal record if he loses, but I cannot see a Justce giving someone a criminal record in pusuit of the purches of a home.

If his journey to purchase a boat from a private individual is essential, then his journey to a a trader is also essential, and indeed vice versa.

There is a big difference in risk of transmission of infection between one individual going in his car, picking up a key and inspecting a boat on his own, ie risk of transmission of infection is zero, and me being crowded in an enclosed space by a dozen or so unmasked  teenagers.

The reason the Lockdown 1 and the disease built up again is due to the fact that people did not apply strict enough hygiene measures. The oft quoted  two metres, or six feet if you live in the US was a minimum distance, and many people just ignored it anyway, as they did the bit about one person to do the shopping, and although Scotland allowed daily shopping, it would be obvious that the fewer visits to the shops, the better.

One is specifically banned in law the other isnt so in court one would attract a fine the other wouldn't