Connecting a solar charge controller to a battery bank

TimCr

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, TimCr said:

Yeah. I think that’s the sort of solution I’m going for. Thanks ? 

That one has .a very low max voltage 50 volts, if using domestic panels (36volt) they have to be in parallel and only 2 '12 volt' panel (18vmax) in series.

A 40A controller will cope with 500W of solar panels, (500/13 = 38.5A, and you will never get full power from panels in the UK) - just need to watch the voltages of the panels, and the voltage limits of the controller. The limits seem to vary from 50V to 100V to 150V.

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

lso as high voltage panels are for domestic not boat installations they are cheaper.

The 170w / 120v panels I got from Bimble were not only 'domestic' ones but ones specifically designed for Northern latitudes 'low light' (low light as in low angle of incidence rather than 'not much light') as typically found in the UK at 53 degrees N and above.

The VSR will use current to close, often nearly an amp, not a problem when the alternator is running or a mains battery charger. On some days in winter even 500 watts of solar is producing under an amp so the VSR would take it all leaving none to charge a battery.