What are the 5 most useful items..

SCL

Featured Posts

A manor house in the Cotswolds/a villa in Spain/a private jet/a Coutts bank account/someone to move my narrow boat to where I want it on the system.?  SORTED!!?

Or in reality!?  a dog/a windlass/a magnet/a crt services key/internet access.

14 hours ago, Bee said:

Chocolate... Yes, I reckon that's on the list, wine, beer. dog, all right at the top. Moving down and coming in at no. 5 is a telly, followed by a radio and then an engine with electric start.  Then it gets a bit woolly and that is where my personal list kind of changes to stuff that I really don't want to bother with, anything with more than a couple of wires going in and out of it, anything with more than two pipes going in and out, anything that I have to refer to the instructions to understand, anything that I have to pay someone else to mend, anything that is digital and makes proper stuff, engines, pumps. heaters etc fail to work, anything that uses more than a teeny bit of electricity and, well I think I'll stop there or people might think I'm some sort of grumpy old luddite hammering whitworth spanners onto metric nuts and wondering why they won't fit. (I genuinely have a couple of spanners with GWR stamped on them) 

Just a thought...Are you using your BIGGEST hammer?..From my experience,I think that could be where you are going wrong!?:judge:

9 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:
  1. A multimeter
  2. Something to safely store hot ash in outside the boat while it cools.
  3. An Ecofan (One for @mrsmelly!)
  4. An infrequent red thermometer (One for @Dr Bob!)
  5. A bigger hammer than the biggest hammer you already have.

Jen

One of these:MENCKs-Largest-Hammer-Set-for-Burbo-Bank-2-Monopiles1-270x361.jpg.f99ee98c91867fdd26847e6e3ae9e865.jpg    But in the next size up!....:judge:

Edited by Leggers do it lying down
  • Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

A manor house in the Cotswolds/a villa in Spain/a private jet/a Coutts bank account/someone to move my narrow boat to where I want it on the system.?  SORTED!!?

Or in reality!?  a dog/a windlass/a magnet/a crt services key/internet access.

I hate to be pedantic but a dog is an essential item, not a useful item.

................Dave

• Happy 1

10 hours ago, Jerra said:

Being equally pedantic a dog is not an essential I have managed all my life without feeling the need for one.

That is because you have never had one.

Once you get one you will find they leave pawprints all over your heart! ?

Edited by cuthound
To remove a letter masquerading as a space
  • Happy 1

18 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Can Opener for when your home delivery does not turn up and you have to raid your emergency can store to eat.

Hammer and chisel for above when you can not find the can opener,

Only buy rip top cans, technology has moved on.

Keep a good pocket knife with you at all times when boating.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Make sure that pocket knife has a can opener for when the ring pull comes off the can.  How often does that happen?  It happened to me, or rather my can of Napolina chopped italian plum tomatoes, on Tuesday this week!  :judge:

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

Cans with riptop lids cost more to make, so add to end cost. Which is why shops like Lidi

sell old type tins for most of their canned goods and others for their cheaper lines.  

13 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Make sure that pocket knife has a can opener for when the ring pull comes off the can.  How often does that happen?  It happened to me, or rather my can of Napolina chopped italian plum tomatoes, on Tuesday this week!  :judge:

My new pocket knife is a thing of beauty, it 's Amtech, s/s, with both a blade and a box cutter, I am sure the blade would make short work of the can., nothing will replace my butterfly traditional can opener, established since 1919 or thereabouts. My old box cutter had a belt clip that doubled as a bottle opener.

Edited by LadyG