What are the 5 most useful items..

SCL

Featured Posts

After finally taking the plunge to buy a boat am intrigued about what are the most useful items or gadgets you can’t do without. Battery monitoring, condensation control, solar lamp, chocolate...? 

Chocolate... Yes, I reckon that's on the list, wine, beer. dog, all right at the top. Moving down and coming in at no. 5 is a telly, followed by a radio and then an engine with electric start.  Then it gets a bit woolly and that is where my personal list kind of changes to stuff that I really don't want to bother with, anything with more than a couple of wires going in and out of it, anything with more than two pipes going in and out, anything that I have to refer to the instructions to understand, anything that I have to pay someone else to mend, anything that is digital and makes proper stuff, engines, pumps. heaters etc fail to work, anything that uses more than a teeny bit of electricity and, well I think I'll stop there or people might think I'm some sort of grumpy old luddite hammering whitworth spanners onto metric nuts and wondering why they won't fit. (I genuinely have a couple of spanners with GWR stamped on them) 

• Greenie 1

Credit card, Phone with (big/unlimited) data plan, Chainsaw, backpack, spares and toolkit.

(Slightly hard to answer this, as the most vital bits are inseparable from the boat - so I'd count solar panels, batteries, wine cellar, mooring kit and stove as boat rather than 'items')

items rather than attached equipment,  hmm..

Torch

A good Internet deal and router

A wheelbarrow or trolly

Homebrew/beer/wine/spirits, take your choice

12v and/or rechargeable items plus charger

Only 5? That doesn't begin to cover it!

2 Head torches + rechargeable batteries and charger.   

Keep one by the bow doors and one by the back doors.

If you've a trad boat, get a third and hang it on a hook in the engine room. 

Edited by bagginz

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Beer

Gin

Cognac

Bottle opener

corkscrew

You need to look at yourself:, delete last two items as unnecessary,  add a good Laphroig, and a Famous Grouse.

Beer can be bought in gallon tins, no need for bottled beer, and if you take a clean fuel container to Wotherspoons today they will fill it with an ale of some description.

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

You need to look at yourself:, delete last two items as unnecessary,  add a good Laphroig, and a Famous Grouse.

Beer can be bought in gallon tins, no need for bottled beer, and if you take a clean fuel container to Wotherspoons today they will fill it with an ale of some description.

I was completely in agreement until you mentioned Wetherspoons!!!

• Haha 1