Fire extinguishers and blanket placement

katie_hannah

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Plus an automatic extinguisher in the engine bay - which is not a BSS requirement

Is it an insurance requirement ?

When I had the planing boat as it was capable of 20knts + It required automatic fire extinguishers above each engine.

Touring the West coast of Scotland & having great fun scooting along Gare Loch at about 27 knts when we noticed a couple of Ribs chasing us, took them ages to catch up as I think their top speed was about 28 knts.

As they drew closer noticed they were all dressed in black with Balaclava's and machine guns at the ready.

They "pulled us over" and demanded all details as we were 'speeding'. I asked where the speed limit was posted as there was nothing on the charts, the almanc or local notce to mariners to be told it was an MOD 'local speed limit'.

Noticed that we almost alongside Faslane & the entire UK fleet of Nuclear Submarines, it seems they were worried we were terrorists and were going to toss a few hand grenades about.

Never heard anything else from them or the MOD.

Even the existing insurance policy demands it for boats capable of over 20 knts. (But we aren't)

General Exceptions:

We will not pay for:

• Claims whilst on charter, or used for other than private purposes.

• Claims whilst participating in racing.

• Claims resulting from “Sea Wolf” being left moored or anchored unattended off an exposed beach or shore.

• Claims caused by fire or explosion if “Sea Wolf” is fitted with an inboard engine and is capable of speeds of over 20 knots, unless equipped with automatic or remote controlled fire extinguisher with discharge heads in the engine compartment, installed and maintained in efficient working order.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is it and insurance requirement, when I had the planing boat as it was capable of 20knts + It required automatic fire extinguishers above each engine.

Yes its an insurance thing otherwise fire is not covered.

I have twin engines but the one extinguisher sized for the full engine bay . 

• Happy 1

12 hours ago, sharpness said:

Is there a case for keeping a fire blanket near the bed so that you can shield yourself with it if you need to go past a fire to get out??? We do.

I'm not sure how well a fire blanket insulates against radiant heat - that's not its intended purpose.

But go right ahead, just so long as there is another one in the galley. A fire blanket actually works really well to extinguish a fat fire (eg chip pan) provided that you leave it for long enough (hours, not seconds).

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You don't often go past a fire, there should be two exits.

Definitely,  even if the second is only an escape hatch. Iirc (from the standards, and its possible I've not remembered correctly of course,  been a while!) there should be an effective route and escape point within 20ft of any point inside the cabin, so some would need more.

50 minutes ago, Ally said:

Definitely,  even if the second is only an escape hatch. Iirc (from the standards, and its possible I've not remembered correctly of course,  been a while!) there should be an effective route and escape point within 20ft of any point inside the cabin, so some would need more.

The BSS does suggest that there should be two exists 'for each accomodation space',  BUT it is only an advisory for 'private boats'.

Not having two exits is not a BSS fail.

6.3 Emergency escape 6.3.1

Is the vessel provided with adequate means of escape?   A

Check each accommodation space for the means to escape. Measure the minimum dimensions of clear openings used as a means of escape such as hatches, windows or ports. If a fixed window or port is designated an escape route, check that a means of ‘breaking‐out’ is present. Each accommodation space must have at least two means of escape. The minimum clear opening for a means to escape is 0.18 m2 .and all openings must accommodate a 380mm diameter circle. A means of ‘breaking out’ any fixed window or port designated as an escape route must be stored adjacent to it.

However, Commercial and Hire boats MUST have two means of egress.

• Happy 1

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The BSS does suggest that there should be two exists 'for each accomodation space',  BUT it is only an advisory for 'private boats'.

Not having two exits is not a BSS fail.

6.3 Emergency escape 6.3.1

Is the vessel provided with adequate means of escape?   A

Check each accommodation space for the means to escape. Measure the minimum dimensions of clear openings used as a means of escape such as hatches, windows or ports. If a fixed window or port is designated an escape route, check that a means of ‘breaking‐out’ is present. Each accommodation space must have at least two means of escape. The minimum clear opening for a means to escape is 0.18 m2 .and all openings must accommodate a 380mm diameter circle. A means of ‘breaking out’ any fixed window or port designated as an escape route must be stored adjacent to it.

However, Commercial and Hire boats MUST have two means of egress.

Thanks Alan. I was thinking back to Hull building regs for designs to comply with RCD reg standards (9094 i think) for escape positions. Im not as fluent on BSS off the top of my head.  ?

• Happy 1