Shower

Fran

Featured Posts

I have had a leak from my shower rotting the wood below and spreading to surrounding areas. I reckon I need to strip the whole bathroom and rebuild. Does anyone know of someone they can recommend who can demolish, assess the damage and rebuild a new shower space (perhaps slightly bigger than existing)? Near Napton on Oxford Canal.

I know this will cost me but not able to do myself.

Also, what makes the best waterproof shower space – tiling, splashback panels or other - any suggestions welcome?

8 hours ago, Fran said:

I have had a leak from my shower rotting the wood below and spreading to surrounding areas. I reckon I need to strip the whole bathroom and rebuild. Does anyone know of someone they can recommend who can demolish, assess the damage and rebuild a new shower space (perhaps slightly bigger than existing)? Near Napton on Oxford Canal.

I know this will cost me but not able to do myself.

Also, what makes the best waterproof shower space – tiling, splashback panels or other - any suggestions welcome?

Most people are very busy and it is quite suprising how much this will cost you. Whoever does it will have to agree a standard you require and it may be hard to achieve depending on the condition of remaining structure.

On 03/11/2020 at 13:52, Fran said:

Quite possibly one of the newer shower panel offerings now, but mine is done with vinyl flooring and it both looks good and is very effective.

A friend has just had a similar job to yours in his boat and he went for vinyl floor to replace his previously filed cubicle after talking to his fitter. It's not a case of "wallpapering" it on though - his fitter bonded the vinyl to the ply panel whilst flat before assembly in the shower room.

Leaks are always at the joins.  Tiles look good, but there are miles of joins that need sealing with grout or silicone.  If I was redoing mine I would want the biggest flexible sheeting to minimise joins and cracking.  Probably vinyl flooring as mentioned above and  I would also overlap the vinyl onto the shower tray.

As an aside I built a rabbit hutch about 25 years ago and lined it with vinyl to avoid rabbit wee rot.  It is still rot free, vinyl is good stuff.

On 04/11/2020 at 15:11, Sea Dog said:

Quite possibly one of the newer shower panel offerings now, but mine is done with vinyl flooring and it both looks good and is very effective.

A friend has just had a similar job to yours in his boat and he went for vinyl floor to replace his previously filed cubicle after talking to his fitter. It's not a case of "wallpapering" it on though - his fitter bonded the vinyl to the ply panel whilst flat before assembly in the shower room.

Filed cubicle, wot is that please?

I have plastic lining possibly on top of ply, I'd like to have it blingy, with tiles, how do I do thisor, do I buy vinyl flooring and stick it on top of the plastic ?

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Filed cubicle, wot is that please?

It it likely to be one of two things, both frequently seen in posts on CWDF, but not exclusively here.  Firstly, it could be a typo, where my sausage fingers have hit the wrong key on my phone keyboard or, secondly, it could be the demon auto-correct getting involved to spread mischief and confusion.  Either way "filed" should have read "tiled".  :banghead:   :D

There is a product called 'Wetwall' - https://www.wetwall.net/

Don't know about any of the other similar products, but this one works! If its a weird shape - round, curved, lots of wood joints etc  then vinyl is the way to go. I'd avoid tiles at all costs due to vibration and leaking grout - silicone is messy, but at least it 'moves'.

15 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Don't know about any of the other similar products, but this one works! If its a weird shape - round, curved, lots of wood joints etc  then vinyl is the way to go. I'd avoid tiles at all costs due to vibration and leaking grout - silicone is messy, but at least it 'moves'.

When you say vinyl, do you mean a film of the stuff , paper thin sticky back or the thick lino replacement?

I would like to have a sample before ordering from anyone online, but also in my minds eye, I wanted something very sparkly, I need  a wow factor

Edited by LadyG

13 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Tried the number, it's 0808 , not sure if that is premium, an american voice first answers thrn puts you on hold, I woun't be buying from them.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Tried the number, it's 0808 , not sure if that is premium, an american voice first answers thrn puts you on hold, I woun't be buying from them.

You could try this info@bpoltd.co.uk their address is 

Office 3
The Store Room
Fitzwilliam Road
ROTHERHAM
South Yorkshire
S65 1SL