Do Narrow/Wide-Beams hold their value during a Housing Crisis/Recession? Apollo Duck statistics available?

oconnjoe

Featured Posts

Hey All,

It would seem that the UK in on the brink of a recession/housing crisis, a little like 2008 but possibly worse! I wonder whether there is anyone that went through the purchasing process during the 2008 housing crisis and can remember what happened to boat prices as a result of this? 

My situation is that I'm currently renting and looking at buying a boat. Therefore my question is simply, can anyone remember/have data on narrow/wide beam boat prices;

1. Before the 2008 housing crash?

2. During the 2008 housing crash?

3. After the 2008 housing crisis? 

It would be useful if you could also specify the type of boat prices you were searching during this time (i.e. a 5 year old 60ft Widebeam) just to see whether the market was generally effected or whether larger/smaller older/younger boats were more effected. 

If there's any source of data about (i.e. from AD), that would be great as I cant seem to find much at all!

Cheers,

Joe!

8 minutes ago, oconnjoe said:

Hey All,

It would seem that the UK in on the brink of a recession/housing crisis, a little like 2008 but possibly worse! I wonder whether there is anyone that went through the purchasing process during the 2008 housing crisis and can remember what happened to boat prices as a result of this? 

My situation is that I'm currently renting and looking at buying a boat. Therefore my question is simply, can anyone remember/have data on narrow/wide beam boat prices;

1. Before the 2008 housing crash?

2. During the 2008 housing crash?

3. After the 2008 housing crisis? 

It would be useful if you could also specify the type of boat prices you were searching during this time (i.e. a 5 year old 60ft Widebeam) just to see whether the market was generally effected or whether larger/smaller older/younger boats were more effected. 

If there's any source of data about (i.e. from AD), that would be great as I cant seem to find much at all!

Cheers,

Joe!

I think you are on a hiding to nothing - you cannot look at the prices of (say) 57 foot NB's on even two seperate days. (let alone different months / years) there can be £10,000s difference for (apparently) no reason.

The prices of secondhand 'fat-boats' will drop as a result of the 100's of people moving from rented accomodation to a boat and unable to accept the restrictions of boating (emptying toilets, filling water tanks, carrying gas bottles etc)

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Horror 1

Too many variables, the (permanent) housing crisis is one varying variable, the price of moorings / licence / etc is another and the supply or demand yet another. My thoughts are that the housing situation is probably the least influential except in strange places like London. The test of whether you are suited to the life is to wander along a bit of dark and mysterious canal and wonder what is round the corner and then not being able to stop thinking about it even when you are supposed to be at work or driving or something unimportant like that.

I suggest you wait a couple of months. The real effects of leaving Europe will kick in then and property and boats will be worthless. I am waiting as I am looking at buying property and will be able to buy half a dozen houses for about 5k if some of the predictions are true.

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think you are on a hiding to nothing - you cannot look at the prices of (say) 57 foot NB's on even two seperate days. (let alone different months / years) there can be £10,000s difference for (apparently) no reason.

The prices of secondhand 'fat-boats' will drop as a result of the 100's of people moving from rented accomodation to a boat and unable to accept the restrictions of boating (emptying toilets, filling water tanks, carrying gas bottles etc)

I think it will go the other way and widebeams will go up in value as a nice place to live

25 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I suggest you wait a couple of months. The real effects of leaving Europe will kick in then and property and boats will be worthless. I am waiting as I am looking at buying property and will be able to buy half a dozen houses for about 5k if some of the predictions are true.

My plan for 2021 is to join a Mad Max style boat gang. We'll be raiding canal side settlements for food and fuel, then speed away at 4mph.

Jen ?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

My plan for 2021 is to join a Mad Max style boat gang. We'll be raiding canal side settlements for food and fuel, then speed away at 4mph.

Jen ?

The UK isn't Aus though, Mad Max with thermals, woolly hats and a nice hot cup of tea just doesn't have quite the same appeal...

On the other hand I do like a good brew

• Haha 2

Thank you for all the replies everyone! 

Some really interesting points flagged which I hadn't thought about. 

One general observation I've been able to make, is clearly there hasn't been a obvious 'boat crisis' in the past, like there has been a 'housing crisis', otherwise presumably this would have been mentioned. This provides me with some confidence that the boating market is not the same as the housing market and that the housing market is not a key driver... otherwise we'd have seen boat prices starkly fall in the past!  

There are of course may new variables happening at once right now that have not happened in the past (Brexit and COVID [remote working/closing of boarder/unemployment]). But from what I can tell (and is a bit of a leap of faith) there are arguments that these events could increase or decrease a value of a boat, so therefore its unlikely that this will cause a massive fall in value! 

Cheers

Joe!!

• Greenie 1

My house is not far short of 90 years old and is still considered to to be 'middle aged'. My NB is 25 years old and might well be described as being in 'late middle aged'. If my house fell down tomorrow I would still have the value of the land. If my boat sank I'd have a bill for it's removal. 

On a slightly more serious note although not a large sample  of 5 people I've known who've moved onto a widebeam. 4 have either given up or would like to do so  

7 minutes ago, Slim said:

My house is not far short of 90 years old and is still considered to to be 'middle aged'. My NB is 25 years old and might well be described as being in 'late middle aged'. If my house fell down tomorrow I would still have the value of the land. If my boat sank I'd have a bill for it's removal. 

On a slightly more serious note although not a large sample  of 5 people I've known who've moved onto a widebeam. 4 have either given up or would like to do so  

I have seen the opposite but we are on big water with no issues, most of us have started of on narrowb9and .over on to big boats. It makes sense even now with the extra for width on thei license length costs a lot more than width 

1 hour ago, restlessnomad said:

Not sure if such data is available, but the currently its a seller's market.

Bought my first boat in 2013 off  the duck. Over 1800 narrowboats for sale on there site then. Sold it 31/2 years later with very little improvements for 35% more than I paid for it. Now only just over 800. It’s a sellers market that’s true.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, oconnjoe said:

... One general observation I've been able to make, is clearly there hasn't been a obvious 'boat crisis' in the past, like there has been a 'housing crisis',

Prices of both fluctuate according to supply and demand, so are probably related to some extent.  House prices go up, people find renting/buying difficult, some look to buy a boat as cheap accommodation, boat prices rise. House prices go down, more people can afford them, less demands for boats, boat prices fall.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen ?

I want to know which gang will have the Tina Turner character

59 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

The UK isn't Aus though, Mad Max with thermals, woolly hats and a nice hot cup of tea just doesn't have quite the same appeal...

On the other hand I do like a good brew

Tea is a bit on the optimistic side, without a trade deal with India, or Sri Lanka. We'll be brewing it from nettles at best.

7 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

I want to know which gang will have the Tina Turner character

I don't know, but I am welding lots of spikes on my boat cabin in preparation.

Jen ?

Don't forget to slow down for moored boats!!??

• Haha 2

Jen ?

And ask permission to breast-up before carrying out boarding raids.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Bought my first boat in 2013 off  the duck. Over 1800 narrowboats for sale on there site then. Sold it 31/2 years later with very little improvements for 35% more than I paid for it. Now only just over 800. It’s a sellers market that’s true.

800 listed, i guarantee you there's quite a percentage of those that are already sold.

for example one we were going to look at that i know sold on the 1st of Feb is still listed for sale on the duck.

that said, boats go up with reputable brokers and are under offer within hours, madness at the minute.

5 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

800 listed, i guarantee you there's quite a percentage of those that are already sold.

for example one we were going to look at that i know sold on the 1st of Feb is still listed for sale on the duck.

that said, boats go up with reputable brokers and are under offer within hours, madness at the minute.

Yep mine went live on the net Friday night 12 o'clock sold Saturday at 9 am. 

26 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Tea is a bit on the optimistic side, without a trade deal with India, or Sri Lanka. We'll be brewing it from nettles at best.

I don't know, but I am welding lots of spikes on my boat cabin in preparation.

why do you need trade agreement with india/srilanka to buy tea?