Hello everyone!

Travels With Martin

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Take some advice from someone that has been on the cut for a long time...It is a surprisingly small place!

True that.

Alan Holden describes the L&L as a very small village with a long, wet High Street.  He's absolutely correct, as you get people in Leeds telling you gossip from Burscough and not just online.

"Ooh, did you hear what Fred's Dad said about Sharon's Uncle ..."  :D

• Greenie 1

Big problem with boaty vlogs Martin, is every new boater and their dog are doing them.

To make yours stand out from the crowd you need advice and the experience of long term boaters to help you hone your vlogging skills.

In that respect you have come to the right place as as most of the more senior people on here have been boating since Pontius got his pilot's licence.

Perhaps simply asking for advice on here as to how your vlog could be improved,will get more positive responses.

Anyway,I wish you the best of luck with your vlogging.

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You want it your way, well sorry, just go away, and we can forget all about your bad attitude, ty

Stop posting and it will die a natural death.

Bit harsh, the poor sod has no idea of the history on the forum of peeps popping up posting links to their "wonderful" video/blog.

Welcome to the forum Martin, stay, ask for help, contribute and I you should realise what a useful resource this place can be

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

True that.

Alan Holden describes the L&L as a very small village with a long, wet High Street.  He's absolutely correct, as you get people in Leeds telling you gossip from Burscough and not just online.

"Ooh, did you hear what Fred's Dad said about Sharon's Uncle ..."  :D

Seconded, gossip runs faster than fibre broadband on the cut

55 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

It is good to see the younger generation taking an interest in the waterways.I have met quite few who are living here out of choice.And when I say living,I mean LIVING..and not just "PLAYING" at living afloat because its a cool thing to do for a while!..Which one are you!?...There have been lots of videos posted in the last few years,showing how "twee" it is to live on a boat.Mostly by newcomers ,who have a very limited experience of the issues and difficulties of living afloat!.

Maybe one of us "old farts" should take up the camera!!?.......(If we could figure out how to use the damn thing!?)

From my limited experience of this site,you are mostly preaching to the well established converted here!.

As for your comments about other boaters being "small minded"...Take some advice from someone that has been on the cut for a long time...It is a surprisingly small place!,you never know who you will meet,and where?.If you are plastering your face all over the web,perhaps a good idea to ignore some comments and think before you start name calling!.?

B.t.w. you will know if you have caught "me" on camera.....I have ruined many a gongoozlers fb post,as they've assume its ok to film me whilst I go about my daily life!..? ?

I am not playing, I am living, i have been aboard boats for 5 years and worked my way up to a narrow boat! I have no intention of returning to bricks!

16 minutes ago, Travels With Martin said:

I am not playing, I am living, i have been aboard boats for 5 years and worked my way up to a narrow boat! I have no intention of returning to bricks!

Good for you, genuinely good for you, don't let first impressions sour the forum for you though

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Bit harsh, the poor sod has no idea of the history on the forum of peeps popping up posting links to their "wonderful" video/blog.

He does, hes already done it a few months ago asking us all to subscribe to his youtoobe channel with....zero content. Then kept saying it was coming soon....still nothing...

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

He does, hes already done it a few months ago asking us all to subscribe to his youtoobe channel with....zero content. Then kept saying it was coming soon....still nothing...

Proves he does learn from experience though - at least he uploaded a video before posting this thread.

The next channel might even start with a well filmed and edited video. ;)

He'll find out if he sticks around that there are some long term professional video editors and producers who post on the forum ...

20 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Proves he does learn from experience though - at least he uploaded a video before posting this thread.

The next channel might even start with a well filmed and edited video. ;)

He'll find out if he sticks around that there are some long term professional video editors and producers who post on the forum ...

I hope he does not stick around, I've had enough of him.

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

You want it your way, well sorry, just go away, and we can forget all about your bad attitude, ty

Stop posting and it will die a natural death.

That is hardly likely to encourage new members . . . 

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I hope he does not stick around, I've had enough of him.

Could be a two-way feeling . . . 

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

That is hardly likely to encourage new members . . . 

He's not a new member, I did not post that way in my first response to his use /misuse of the forum post, it has been explained to him , perfectly clearly,  perfect.y politely that he is spamming, that his vlogs are c@p, and  that there are far better and more interesting vlogs on youtube. 

In marketing terms, he needs Usp, and professional presentation.

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

He's not a new member, I did not post that way in my first response to his use /misuse of the forum post, it has been explained to him , perfectly clearly,  perfect.y politely that he is spamming, that his vlogs are c@p, and  that there are far better and more interesting vlogs on youtube. 

You have certainly changed your tune, you have historically been extremely critical of forumites 'not making new posters welcome' and now you are much more vitriloic than I think I have ever seen on the forum.

Are you taking those 'nasty pills' again ?

To the OP,   some of the comments here have some truth in them but don't take it too heart, we are heading for another lockdown and these poor buggers can't go boating so they are getting into a very bad mood.

Its very common now for people taking up boating, or any other hobby/way of life, (and knowing very little)  to do a blog/youtube to teach others. This does appear rather odd to people who do have much knowledge and experience. I suspect people who know even less, like aspiring boaters, might enjoy watching others learn. Also, like reality TV, people do like watching other people making a mess of things. If this is your market then its a crowded one. If you have something good to offer, and 
I think you did mention history, then concentrate on that. Don't worry too much about presentation, if you know your stuff then that will be fine, I would rather listen to an expert than a "presenter".

We get a lot of new posters saying "Ive just the great and novel idea to sell my house and buy a boat and get a mooring in Bristol, has anybody else done this?   and I suppose "Ive just got a boat and had the great idea of doing a youtube channel" does sound a bit the same.

...............Dave

2 hours ago, Travels With Martin said:

Good on ya!??  Your video is a bit "samey" though!? And boating or not,you should know not to pee off the people you have to live with!.?

To leave on a positive...Maybe try adding some up to date info for boaters,(nearest shops,car parks,public transport links,access at bridges,moorings etc.).

Still wont watch it though!!?  Not knowing whats around the corner is all part of the fun for me!!.:P

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Welcome to the forum Martin, stay, ask for help, contribute and I you should realise what a useful resource this place can be

Seconded, gossip runs faster than fibre broadband on the cut

So what DID Freds dad say about Sharons uncle????...Havn't heard round here yet!...

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the vlog.     

I enjoy watching vlogs on canal boating (as well as other subjects) as whilst an avid canal boater I am not on the boat as much as I like and I do enjoy seeing areas that I have been myself or looking at places I would like to explore in the future. 

watched your Vlog and enjoyed the different style of exploring the area around the canal rather than just on the canal itself.   Only construction critism that I would offer is that when you are talking the music either needs to be reduced or ideally turned off all together.  

good luck with the boating as well as your new job.  

14 hours ago, LadyG said:

Ever so gently can I suggest that you consider applying that analysis to the content of the above post?

I was not concerned with whether the person to whom you were addressing your remarks (although I suspect you were more concerned with the reaction from the rest of the forum) but how it looks to newcomers and whether they will find this a congenial place to spend time, even if forced to do so by CV-19 - which it normally is, BTW.

16 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Ever so gently can I suggest that you consider applying that analysis to the content of the above post?

I was not concerned with whether the person to whom you were addressing your remarks (although I suspect you were more concerned with the reaction from the rest of the forum) but how it looks to newcomers and whether they will find this a congenial place to spend time, even if forced to do so by CV-19 - which it normally is, BTW.

I'm not trying to milk the forum for reactions, it has been explained to him that this is not a free advertising , it's not facebook style, but he just ingnores the advice, and starts another thread. His channel is doomed if continues in ths same style and poor quality, but he doesn't seem to intend to do anything about it, so be it. The forum is generally very supportive to new members, but not to those who ignore the very core values of same.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1
  • Angry 1