Hello everyone!

Travels With Martin

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Travels With Martin said:

I have every intention of becoming a part of this forum and will not take any rudeness from other members.

Laying the law down as to what other people say to you may not help you to integrate into the forum. Our rules say that members should post in a civil manner, but humour and banter are perfectly acceptable, as is criticism, be it positive or negative. Some such posts may appear "rude" when they are not intended to be. 

14 minutes ago, Travels With Martin said:

With regards to the Floating Round Britain account , that belongs to Jack and we are still working on Episode 1 of that

My mistake then, it's just the wording that threw me off "...me and my best friend Jack are working on a new channel..." makes it sound like it's you posting on behalf of the two of you.

18 minutes ago, Travels With Martin said:

I have every intention of becoming a part of this forum and will not take any rudeness from other members.

Now, what was that other identity, just so if and when help is asked for I can say something like " apparently entitled people can pay for their help".

Best not say things like the above unless you intended to put peoples backs up. I seem to remember the last topic contained similar overtimes.

1 hour ago, Travels With Martin said:

Okay I won't be rude but here's a critique of your video which prompted me to post 
The lighting, video and audio are poor quality
The shakey pan around Fradley Pool forced me look away 
People like me have no interest in newcomers telling how wonderful canal life is - we already know. 

Rude could be regarded as coming on this forum peddling a poor quality Vlog to people who have much more experience of these things than yourself. If you think I was rude think yourself lucky it wasn't one of the heavyweight hitters on here. I spent 3 days in intensive care after disagreeing with the world's leading bite's yer neck bluntist - Not Naming  anyone! ???

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 4

1 hour ago, dmr said:

You don't need to remove the link to your blog as its obviously not a commercial enterprise, its much too boring for that , in fact its so boring that you even say so yourself :clapping:.

...............Dave

I think the whole point him posting here is to help get to the magic 1000 subscribers so he can monetise the channel.

• Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I think the whole point him posting here is to help get to the magic 1000 subscribers so he can monetise the channel.

For your information this is not the case, I have a job and have no interest in making money from YouTube, if it happened then so be it but i have no interest in it. I do it for the love of the canal network and to share my experiences with people who want to look.

I will make this simple for everyone then...

If you want to watch it then watch it

If you don't want to then don't

If you have nothing nice to say then don't say it! *I will not listen*

-- END --

• Unimpressed 1

13 minutes ago, Travels With Martin said:

For your information this is not the case, I have a job and have no interest in making money from YouTube, if it happened then so be it but i have no interest in it. I do it for the love of the canal network and to share my experiences with people who want to look.

-- END --

So you will not be monetising the channel?

As an aside,  you do need to get a grip if you are intending to partake in social media, you come over as having a bad attitude and that does not go down well with people.

• Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, Travels With Martin said:

-- END --

No, not end, or at least it shouldn't be.

Criticism can help you, and give you the incentive to, improve the appearance and presentation of your channel. You should read both the positive and the negative, and take heed of both.

32 minutes ago, Travels With Martin said:

-- END --

So you admit then that your OP really was nothing more than an advert for subscriptions which would help you.

When marketing anything you have to first identify what's in it for the customer.

As a beginner coming here to peddle it is akin to "Bargain Hunt" where they reverse the business model.  They buy expensively at shops then sell at auctions where predominantly everything sells cheaply.  Then they wonder why they lost out.

You're preaching to the converted here, with many out there able to pick holes in your subject matter and your artistry isn't up to the level of the couple of good ones out there.

The very fact you're not prepared to listen tells me, you're preaching which switches me off.

Its easy when you are young and new to something to think that it is the most important thing in your life at the present time.

However, consider that many, nay most on here find your poor quality efforts at video, sound, directorship and the subject matter incredibly boring.

And as a criticism, your attitude revealed in your replies stinks.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The rules do say that dual accounts are forbidden if there is an 'intent to deceive'.

Edit to add, here we go, I got the wording almost right :

Registering duplicate or multiple user accounts aimed to deliberately deceive or circumvent disciplinary action is not permitted

I'm aware of that.  So, since the OP is clearly not trying to deceive anyone, he can have multiple accounts if he wants.  No forum rule broken.

Now the forum rule on advertising is a different matter.  The OP clearly intends to monetise his channel, so he should have asked permission first.

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

It may have been and still is Jack's account

If I tell you I write a blog and suggest you read it is that considered advertising. There has been some blatant business advertising on this forum recently which seamed to be accepted.

PS I have removed details of my blog from my sig just in case

You blog would be fine if you weren't looking to derive an income from it.  If you were earning money from your blog (many do), then it's advertising, simple.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

At least someone else gets how this works - greenie!

2 hours ago, Travels With Martin said:

Well as I see I have had some lovely comments and some very small minded comments - I will not be taken back by the negative comments.

With regards to the Floating Round Britain account , that belongs to Jack and we are still working on Episode 1 of that.

We are not begging for subscribers just asking for people to have a look if they wish as it's FREE to do so and you never know, you might enjoy it?

Thing is though, your sole contribution to the forum has been trying to get people to follow two of your youtube channels.  That's never gonna go down well, as it just comes across as very self centred. 

Spend about 6 months genuinely contributing and then post about your channel again, and see the difference in response.

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Now the forum rule on advertising is a different matter.  The OP clearly intends to monetise his channel, so he should have asked permission first.

A couple of members have asked us about this, and evidence was inconclusive. But since then, in post no. 33, The O.P. states that he has no interest in making money from his efforts, so he appears to be within our rules, as he is making these films for his own enjoyment and, he hopes, for that of others too.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

A couple of members have asked us about this, and evidence was inconclusive. But since then, in post no. 33, The O.P. states that he has no interest in making money from his efforts, so he appears to be within our rules, as he is making these films for his own enjoyment and, he hopes, for that of others too.

Then if his channel takes off, I'm sure he'll be a very generous donator to the forum.

3 hours ago, Travels With Martin said:

With regards to the Floating Round Britain account , that belongs to Jack and we are still working on Episode 1 of that.

So that makes 2 new but different vlogs that you are making..........that market is starting to get crowded!

39 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Its easy when you are young and new to something to think that it is the most important thing in your life at the present time.

However, consider that many, nay most on here find your poor quality efforts at video, sound, directorship and the subject matter incredibly boring.

And as a criticism, your attitude revealed in your replies stinks.

My goodness @Tracy D'arth he really has annoyed you, and I've always considered your posts to be well thought out and informative, but OP did not take critisism kindly which was intended to explain why he got the 'negative vibes'.

I think he will have to go.....

(on ignore) lol.

Edited by LadyG

29 minutes ago, LadyG said:

My goodness @Tracy D'arth he really has annoyed you, and I've always considered your posts to be well thought out and informative, but OP did not take critisism kindly which was intended to explain why he got the 'negative vibes'.

I think he will have to go.....

(on ignore) lol.

Possibly a bit fierce, but hopefully correct..  Hope he does go away, I'm sick of these YouTube things, and I'm not feeling good today.

I have trouble spelling criticism too!

43 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Then if his channel takes off, I'm sure he'll be a very generous donator to the forum.

Well yes I would be happy to do that but currently the support i have had is not all to encouraging but im happy to give it another try.

Message for admin...

If you could remove my whole post for argument sake, some people clearly don't want this stuff about and I will adhear to their wishes, I shall stay a part of this forum however won't post about my vlogs until I see fit.

It is good to see the younger generation taking an interest in the waterways.I have met quite few who are living here out of choice.And when I say living,I mean LIVING..and not just "PLAYING" at living afloat because its a cool thing to do for a while!..Which one are you!?...There have been lots of videos posted in the last few years,showing how "twee" it is to live on a boat.Mostly by newcomers ,who have a very limited experience of the issues and difficulties of living afloat!.

Maybe one of us "old farts" should take up the camera!!?.......(If we could figure out how to use the damn thing!?)

From my limited experience of this site,you are mostly preaching to the well established converted here!.

As for your comments about other boaters being "small minded"...Take some advice from someone that has been on the cut for a long time...It is a surprisingly small place!,you never know who you will meet,and where?.If you are plastering your face all over the web,perhaps a good idea to ignore some comments and think before you start name calling!.?

B.t.w. you will know if you have caught "me" on camera.....I have ruined many a gongoozlers fb post,as they've assume its ok to film me whilst I go about my daily life!..? ?

• Love 1

welcome again to forum.

I did watch your vlog and found it to be of poor quality. There is so much content on the topic and I have finite time. Don't want to be rude, just telling my priorities.

Unlike some here, I do love vlog and vloggers. Without them('cruising the cut' specifically) I would not be part of this forum and miss the whole canal subculture thing.

So thank you for taking this enterprise. Wish you best of luck.

15 minutes ago, Travels With Martin said:

Well yes I would be happy to do that but currently the support i have had is not all to encouraging but im happy to give it another try.

Message for admin...

If you could remove my whole post for argument sake, some people clearly don't want this stuff about and I will adhear to their wishes, I shall stay a part of this forum however won't post about my vlogs until I see fit.

You want it your way, well sorry, just go away, and we can forget all about your bad attitude, ty

Stop posting and it will die a natural death.

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You want it your way, well sorry, just go away, and we can forget all about your bad attitude, ty

Stop posting and it will die a natural death.

More than a little unkind and uncalled for comment, in my opinion.  Been on the sauce again ? ?