Electric cars

haggis

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, phantom_iv said:

Oh dear. Looks like they're opening another 12 chargers in the same town later this year, which are the newer faster type so queues should soon be a thing of the past. But important to note what happens when demand outstrips supply. But equally look what happens in the US every time someone mentions fuel shortage and they start panic buying - queues to fill up everywhere.

On the other hand, the built-in sat nav does tell you how busy that particular charger is before you get there so if there's no space you can always choose to go somewhere else if there's no spaces available.

We use pod point when we go shopping it tells us if the chargers are claimed

I didn't see this thread before but surely electric cars are fitted with collision avoidance cameras linked to the brakes aren't they? 

My little petrol Suzuki Ignis (2018) has dual camera brake support and it will stop the car automatically if someone walks in front of it too close. 

It has an alarm once it picks up the object then the brakes deploy themselves to avoid a collision. 

It does actually work and if screen is dirty it switches off with a warning on dash that it is not functioning. 

It's done it's job once or twice in my 10,000 mile ownership. The most impressive was when a van just stopped dead in front of me perhaps trying for a deliberate accident and the car stopped itself. I was on the brakes as well but it assisted me. 

I would have thought all new cars would have these safety systems but perhaps not. 

An extra pair of eyes like that can't be a particularly expensive addition to an electric vehicle which is already somewhat more expensive than other vehicles on account of it being electric. 

Tesla have loads of cameras so I'm sure they have got it but then the driver can switch it off. I never switch mine off as I like the idea of it working at the right moment. 

Edited by magnetman

33 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Tesla have loads of cameras so I'm sure they have got it but then the driver can switch it off. I never switch mine off as I like the idea of it working at the right moment. 

Yes - https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/04/watch-how-tesla-model-3-earned-its-5-star-safety-rating-from-euro-ncap/

Can't say I've tested it myself, but it's beeped a warning a few times, never been brave enough to see if it brakes though. The auto blindspot detection has saved my bacon in the past though.

• Greenie 1

On 03/11/2020 at 13:14, JohnEW2912 said:

Our three year old Zoe has a facility to make a humming sound at speeds up to 20mph - it can also be disabled. Above 20mph tyre noise is louder.

From memory I think anything made from 2019 onwards has to have asound emitter. I seem to recall seeing something about a date when they must be retrofitted but not toally sure on that one.

The ones I've heard are are directionally focussed so you are 'supposed' to be able to tell the direction theyare coming from.

The sound generator shuts off once road noise  is considered high enough (about 30 mph I think).

1 hour ago, Rassiloth said:

From memory I think anything made from 2019 onwards has to have asound emitter. I seem to recall seeing something about a date when they must be retrofitted but not toally sure on that one.

New models introduced post-2019 had to have one, all new cars 2021 onwards have to have one. No requirement to retrofit though AFAIK.