Electric cars

haggis

Featured Posts

Sorry, nothing to do with boating but I know that several people on here have electric road vehicles and I thought this article from a lady who puppy walks guide dogs was worth repeating.

"Today my husband and I with our two guide dogs had another near miss with an electric car. We were crossing a side road and it came in off the main road and passed very close in front of us. If it’d been a petrol or diesel engine, or if it’d had a sound emitter fitted, we’d have heard it, but, apart from the sound of the tyres on the road, it was virtually silent.
I am a confident guide dog handler but I can honestly say that silent electric vehicles scare me. I fear that it will take serious injury to a blind person, or even worse, death, before any meaningful legislation is put into place. If it happens to me or someone that I care about, I’ll be in court and I won’t rest until we have justice.
So please, if you drive an electric vehicle, switch on your sound emitter. After all, you wouldn’t drive at night without your lights on, it’s the same thing.
Many people will like this post but please don’t. I ask anyone who would have hit the like button to please hit the share button instead and pass this far and wide. I fear for our lives and those of these two amazing dogs."

Not something I had thought of but very relevant for those with poor eyesight. and hearing

haggis
  • Greenie 3

9 minutes ago, haggis said:

Sorry, nothing to do with boating but I know that several people on here have electric road vehicles and I thought this article from a lady who puppy walks guide dogs was worth repeating.

"Today my husband and I with our two guide dogs had another near miss with an electric car. We were crossing a side road and it came in off the main road and passed very close in front of us. If it’d been a petrol or diesel engine, or if it’d had a sound emitter fitted, we’d have heard it, but, apart from the sound of the tyres on the road, it was virtually silent.
I am a confident guide dog handler but I can honestly say that silent electric vehicles scare me. I fear that it will take serious injury to a blind person, or even worse, death, before any meaningful legislation is put into place. If it happens to me or someone that I care about, I’ll be in court and I won’t rest until we have justice.
So please, if you drive an electric vehicle, switch on your sound emitter. After all, you wouldn’t drive at night without your lights on, it’s the same thing.
Many people will like this post but please don’t. I ask anyone who would have hit the like button to please hit the share button instead and pass this far and wide. I fear for our lives and those of these two amazing dogs."

Not something I had thought of but very relevant for those with poor eyesight. and hearing

haggis

I have a friend with an electric motorbike and he finds it a real problem with people not hearing him.

16 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

No, there is no need to add to the noise problem. Impose a lower speed limit in towns - for all vehicles.

A TVR is not a noise problem, they sound awesome.........................you dont drive a bloody diesel do you :o

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Happy 1

8 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

No, there is no need to add to the noise problem. Impose a lower speed limit in towns - for all vehicles.

My friend find its the lower speeds that cause the biggest problem, ie below 10mph when people are likley just to walk out in front of him, so much so he has fitted a sound generator

I drive a hybrid and was asked earlier today whether mine had a "sounder" fitted for when it runs on electric, which it does but only apparently in reverse. However it appears that legislation now states that any hybrid or electric vehicle built since July 2019 does need one, but that "might" only apply to new models and not those that were in production prior to that date, but were built after it, as mine was.
I do know that the Zoe or car club have is so fitted. It's a sort of rumbley sound.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Indeed that could be done and the the survivability of being hit by a car even at 25mph or better still at 20mph is hugely increased from that of 30mph.

• at 40 mph there is a 90 percent chance they will be killed.
  • at 35 mph there is a 50 percent chance they will be killed.
  • at 30 mph there is a 20 percent chance they will be killed.
  • at 20 mph there is a 2.5 percent chance they will be killed.

https://www.roadwise.co.uk/using-the-road/speeding/the-chance-of-a-pedestrian-surviving/

Edited by churchward
  • Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

I'd happily turn on my 'sound emitter' if it had one or if I could buy one. 

Play that highly popular tune "Fump fump fump" on your radio.  At full volume.

It must be popular because nearly all the boy racers seem to have it on continuous loop ...

• Greenie 3

Regardless of noise and speed,keeping a good lookout is the most important.

After fifty years of crash free motorbiking,I decided to give up after having three SMIDSY's in two years.

SMIDSY = Sorry Mate I Didn't See You.

• Greenie 3

12 minutes ago, smiler said:

What was it now?

...........oh yes

GREEN CROSS CODE !!!!

Unfortunately too many people seem to find looking at their phone more important than looking where they are going.

41 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I drive a hybrid and was asked earlier today whether mine had a "sounder" fitted for when it runs on electric, which it does but only apparently in reverse. However it appears that legislation now states that any hybrid or electric vehicle built since July 2019 does need one, but that "might" only apply to new models and not those that were in production prior to that date, but were built after it, as mine was.
I do know that the Zoe or car club have is so fitted. It's a sort of rumbley sound.

Blimey I had never heard of the " Zoe " so I just googled. Tiny little shopping run around at 30k..........................:o 

Back in the day when I was commuting into London on an 850cc Norton Commando I eventually had to fit a "reversing bleeper" unit connected to my turn indicators and the silly buggers STILL tried to commit harikari particularly when I was turning a corner.

And that was in the days before mobile 'phones and personal entertainment systems, gawd know what it is like today!

Given that this country is at least 50% overpopulated maybe it is time to legalise an open season as a form of natural selection.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No something that Blind People (the subject of the thread) will have a problem with.

Ah! I was unaware that sight-impaired people were able to keep out of the way of face-in-my-mobile-phone idiots. I bow to your superior knowledge. 

13 minutes ago, Man 'o Kent said:

the silly buggers STILL tried to commit harikari particularly when I was turning a corner.

In that scenario, the pedestrian has right of way. I wonder if you have ever ridden/driven in Germany?

The point being, it's not sight-impaired people who are the problem, it is everyone who fails to recognise that sight-impaired people exist,

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

>>A TVR is not a noise problem, they sound awesome<<

Little boys might think so (but only if the vehicle in question hasn't actually broken down yet). 

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No something that Blind People (the subject of the thread) will have a problem with.

I was unaware that the blind didn't make phone calls.   Many people who are talking on the phone aren't taking notice of their surroundings.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, haggis said:

I may be wrong but I would have thought it highly unlikely that a blind person walks along while talking on their phone and I think it is even more unlikely that they will be walking along looking at an app. 

Why don't the smart alecs who have made less than helpful comments on this thread not just keep them to themselves and be eternally grateful that they are neither blind nor deaf? 

haggis

Interesting.  I have fairly frequently seen our local man with the guide dog in one hand and the phone in the other to his ear.

52 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Blimey I had never heard of the " Zoe " so I just googled. Tiny little shopping run around at 30k..........................:o 

We have a Zoe, wonderful car. What it’s not is a tiny little shopping run around. It can take 4 adults in comfort, probably around Focus or Astra size.

• Greenie 2