. Slight damp between mattress and top of bed

Tony ralph

Featured Posts

Hi boaters 

Any advice our double bed is permanently set up on our boat ..seem to get damp between bottom of mattress and top of bed board we have draws at base of bed... trying different ideas used silver thermal block sheet - still same.... welcome any advice .. cheers all 

6 minutes ago, Tony ralph said:

Hi boaters 

Any advice our double bed is permanently set up on our boat ..seem to get damp between bottom of mattress and top of bed board we have draws at base of bed... trying different ideas used silver thermal block sheet - still same.... welcome any advice .. cheers all 

A common problem, some people sweat much more than others and at this time of year when there is more moisture in the air it doesn't easily evaporate away.

We lift our mattress daily to allow air to dry out the base and the mattress, but the use of this stuff does help.

Drilling 1" holes all across the bed board (several rows, not just one - you are truying to vebtilated the whole bed board) does help as the bottom of the mattress can get ventilation from the cupboard below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x2m-DRY-Mat-Under-Bed-Mattress-Anti-Condensation-Layer-Caravan-Motorhome-Boat/172202773443?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A common problem, some people sweat much more than others and at this time of year when there is more moisture in the air it doesn't easily evaporate away.

We lift our mattress daily to allow air to dry out the base and the mattress, but the use of this stuff does help.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x2m-DRY-Mat-Under-Bed-Mattress-Anti-Condensation-Layer-Caravan-Motorhome-Boat/172202773443?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

We use the same stuff under a foam mattress, works well https://shipshapebedding.co.uk/index.php/shop/dry-mat

As Alan says, you need air!! This boat had solid boards with just a few holes and had started to ruin the bottom of the mattress. On buying a new expensive mattress I had my solid sheets removed and cut down in slats running port to starboard with decent spacing and no more damp whatsoever. I have always ensured much ventilation on all my boats under the mattress.

My boat had the same issue. I ended up painting it.

Although I love the traditional wood effect, I can see why people paint them inside. It's seemingly impossible to keep the interior woodwork in perfect condition. It was one of my main frustrations as a liveaboard!

We had this problem. 

A solid board below the mattress which is on top of the toilet tank. Nowhere to vent to, so I made ai mini pallette (1 inch) to allow breathing and a spacer of perforated mdf radiator screen at the wall. 

Problems solved ?

21 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

I had the same problem with a Beneteau Sailboat and found an inexpensive solution at Ikea.  

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/luroey-slatted-bed-base-50285091/

That is exactly the one we have used on the Cruiser (on the Cat we have used the 'anti-condensation' material)

3 hours ago, Martin Nicholas said:

Have a look at the Froli Bed System. 

Could be pricey. Available from all good retailers.

(https://www.froli.com/en/bed-systems/)

Midland Chandlers stock them https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/star-mobil-basic-bed-kit-40310

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

I completely agree. One of the few things that does exactly what it says it will do.  I was sceptical but found it works well, not cheap but well worth it.

The material doesn't mind a good spin in the washing machine either. A great product.

Get rid of the solid bed board and use wooden slats or even a steel grid. Anything that allows airflow to the underside of the mattress. Also get rid of any cupboard doors that block off airflow under the mattress. 

I have a steel bed with a 2cm square section steel bars and steel mesh supporting the mattress and never get any damp issues. I don't have a picture of the mesh but this is the bed.

DSC00478.JPG

Edited by blackrose

6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Condensation is cured by heat, and ventilation.  Drill lots of 1" holes or put slats under the mattress to create air tubes over the base if you don't want dust in the drawers.

they would look strange in the bed flap

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Get rid of the solid bed board and use wooden slats or even a steel grid. Anything that allows airflow to the underside of the mattress. Also get rid of any cupboard doors that block off airflow under the mattress. 

I have a steel bed with a 2cm square section steel bars and steel mesh supporting the mattress and never get any damp issues. I don't have a picture of the mesh but this is the bed.

DSC00478.JPG

In my experience, beds like that tend to rock....

Air the bed and bedding, if you get out of bed and cover the mattress immediately it will retain moisture, so best to push duvet to one side or put it in a watm dry place and allow air to circulate, 

I am fortunate in that I have a very warm and dry boat, I keep all clothes and bedding dry, plenty of ventilation, everywhere, I have a heated airing cupboard, every so often I move laundered clothes in there rather than in lockers, and there is absolutely no black mould anywhere. 

You could try a waterproof mattress cover, that should stop moisture penetrating the mattress.

Edited by LadyG

As per post above, Slatted bed base.  Slats are in six pieces to allow easy access to (ventilated) space under the bed.

No problem with damp or mould, despite my sweaty body.

080Bed base.JPG

206Alde under bed2.jpg

Edited by dor