River Thames Flow Speeds

MidnightStroller

Featured Posts

I hadn't read every post and assumed you had no boating experience at all. With your previous sailing experience I'm sure you'll be fine. You just need to appreciate that canal boats both wide and narrow have the hydrodynamic performance of skips. You'll be fine heading into the current but as soon as you get beam on to it you'll really feel it as you head sideways along the river. 

But in terms of turning from a downstream direction to head upstream you'll actually do this manouvre easier than an equivalent length narrowboat because the length: width ratio of a widebeam makes it less hydrodynamiclly stable and so easier to turn.

Also as someone else said, ferrygliding is a good skill to learn on rivers. 

11 hours ago, blackrose said:

But if your pump out and porta potty are both full you may have to go out for a POO! ?

not a chance - with the new lockdown he'll either have to hold it in for a month (or more) or stay in for a poo.  perhaps it's time to start growing tomatoes.  :unsure:

Most of the EA monitoring sites show you levels, but there are a few that show flow rates. I find them more helpful. For example 

and there may be some others in between.