Edgeware & Balham on The Stratford?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

It has just been brought to my attention by a friend that this image is in the IWA's Flickr gallery dated 2017:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75247450@N04/32529721107/

Lowsonford-Stratford Canal-Landscape by Nigel Essery

It states it was an entry in the Landscape Category of the 2019 photo competition

There is also this image which we have seen before:

Bugbrooke-Grand Union-Restoration  by Nigel Essery

Which was entered in the 2019 Restoration category:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75247450@N04/46748296574/in/album-72157689851375913/

How many times do these two boats feature in IWA photo competitions? 

11 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

It has just been brought to my attention by a friend that this image is in the IWA's Flickr gallery dated 2017:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75247450@N04/32529721107/

Lowsonford-Stratford Canal-Landscape by Nigel Essery

It states it was an entry in the Landscape Category of the 2019 photo competition

There is also this image which we have seen before:

Bugbrooke-Grand Union-Restoration  by Nigel Essery

Which was entered in the 2019 Restoration category:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75247450@N04/46748296574/in/album-72157689851375913/

How many times do these two boats feature in IWA photo competitions? 

These images make one question how many other images by Nigel Essery have been manipulated using Photoshop or other digital image software?? I can accept some cropping and minor adjustment to colour balances but the superimposing of one image into another - no.

So there are two versions on the image on the Stratford, the one from 2017 with the cottage handed correctly, and the 2020 one with it mirrored.

In the 2017 image the boats are mirrored, but the name on the butty stern edited to look correct, however if you zoom in on the cabin side of the motor you can clearly see that the writing is mirrored!

In the 2020 image the boats are as in the source photo (cabin side writing correct) but the rest of the scene that the boats have been inserted into is mirrored.

The Royal Society of Photographers has a full photo set from Nigel, with some hideous colour manipulation stating..

20201104_225009.jpg

In that photo set is the picture Biscuits has shown (post 45?)

https://rps.org/rps-member-portfolio?portfolioRequestedMemberId=15744&displayUrl=Nigel-Essery

Edited by matty40s

14 hours ago, BuckbyLocks said:

Don't remember ever taking it through any locks, but did a lot of journeys between Smethwick and Kings Norton, including Netherton Tunnel, both in the bar and as steerer. I believe it is known as Dove now.

That's just brought back a distant memory. While I was at University in Brum, I and a bunch of other students took a narrowboat trip. I remember little about the boat except that it did have a bar, and I think we did go through a tunnel. This would have been circa 1969. I wonder if that was 'Britannia'.

12 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Edgeware  has changed, converted painted and polished. Thats excellent photoshopping

The colours in the "reversed Stoke Bruerne offside" picture do at least look believable.  Generally Mr Essarys art has a false appearance to me with the colours looking too bright.

Edited by jake_crew

1 hour ago, jake_crew said:

The colours in the "reversed Stoke Bruerne offside" picture do at least look believable.  Generally Mr Essarys art has a false appearance to me with the colours looking too bright.

its those pesky HDR filters that so many people use nowadays, yes it makes for dramatic skies etc. but gives a totally unrealistic pic in my opinion.

58 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well its not Ricks normal route, I will send him the link and ask him if he has ever been there with the boat.

He might have been at some point, but not then.... even he couldnt get the sun to shine on the middle of his boat under a  bridge.

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, Athy said:

That's just brought back a distant memory. While I was at University in Brum, I and a bunch of other students took a narrowboat trip. I remember little about the boat except that it did have a bar, and I think we did go through a tunnel. This would have been circa 1969. I wonder if that was 'Britannia'.

I think 69 would have been a bit early for Britannia. There was a trip boat operating before 71 when we first discovered Gas St, operated by Ansells Brewery if I remember correctly, but I cannot recall the name.  The last time I travelled on it was based near Brentford as we travelled from the Hanwell area into Brentford Lock. I remember discussing its history with the Steerer

• Greenie 1

Europe was built in 1974 I think. It's first trip in and around Brum was to promote the European Union. Because of that it was 'launched' the other side of the Bar Lock by Edward Heath. I helped with the fit out, was present at the 'Launch' and also helped by steering the dead boat down into Stratford when the engine broke its crankshaft half way down the South Stratford. The Ansells boat was definitely pre 70.

21 hours ago, john6767 said:

This one one looks fake as well

ARPS Spare Photos-12

The reflections of the buildings are showing in the reflections of the boats - how can both be reflected at the same time? 

I have just scrolled through and showed Dave all these photos and he exclaimed (in a voice not dissimilar to Brian Blessed when he says "Gordon's Alive" )

"I say, the man's a charlaton I tell you" 

?

• Haha 1