Edgeware & Balham on The Stratford?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

We were there in August.

We turned at Wilmcote, didnt want to go into Stratford.  ( Covid) Last time we were there on the boat was 2017

We got stuck on the rubbish in the bridge below the new marina, that was our only big stick

Forgive me that I don't know your boat - what Large Woolwich was it please?

Just now, Richard T said:

The cottage is not Dicks Lane  because the windows are not the same in the two photos. That is unless the original image has been photoshopped to add and enlarge extra windows.

They are taken from opposite sides of the cottage/lock.

The only window you can see in both photos is the one under the barrel roof.

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

They are taken from opposite sides of the cottage/lock.

The only window you can see in both photos is the one under the barrel roof.

Agreed there are extensions on both sides of the original cottage.

I was just highlighting another obvious discrepancy in the "photo" in that a Large Woolwich would not get through the locks to reach the place depicted. I would still be interested to hear from anyone who did manage to get a FULL LENGTH large Woolwich in a southerly direction down the South Stratford, in recent years.

1 hour ago, canalboat said:

I was just highlighting another obvious discrepancy in the "photo" in that a Large Woolwich would not get through the locks to reach the place depicted. I would still be interested to hear from anyone who did manage to get a FULL LENGTH large Woolwich in a southerly direction down the South Stratford, in recent years.

Chertsey went to Stratford in 2014.

On 31/10/2020 at 18:33, cheshire~rose said:

Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, I did search and couldn't see anything. 

The winners of the 2020 IWA photography competition have been announced here:

https://www.waterways.org.uk/about-us/news/2020-iwa-photography-competition-winners

The winner of the heritage and restoration category shows a pair of historic boats looking very much in need of some restoration "moored" in front of a barrel vaulted lock cottage on The Stratford Canal.

The image doesn't ring true to me, I can't see any mooring lines to start with but the motor (which was suggested to me is Edgeware?) looks the wrong scale against the size of the cottage? 

Is it just me looking at it wrong? Has this image been made up by stitching together two different photos? 

49919017548_5e4faf1fd0_k-1024x732.jpg

Oh and well done Tim Lewis on your winning photo!

Should not have been entered or judged, let alone winning. :(

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

Should not have been entered or judged, let alone winning. :(

This has appeared under the photo "Editorial note: As a recognisable location, we would like to acknowledge that the composition of this image has been visibly altered."

35 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

This has appeared under the photo "Editorial note: As a recognisable location, we would like to acknowledge that the composition of this image has been visibly altered."

Somebody from the judging panel reads CWDF, then.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I found this nice photo on flickr, in Nigel Essery's collection.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lighthousephotographyuk/40520898021/in/album-72157692188689301/

ARPS - 2nd Pass-2

And this is the one he put in the competition https://www.flickr.com/photos/lighthousephotographyuk/38710871530/in/album-72157692188689301/

ARPS - 2nd Pass-18

Edited by ditchcrawler

You lot are a right load of super sleuths aren't you?

?

Looking at Nigel Essery's photos on Flikr there are some great photos among them, sadly I just don't personally feel this is one of them (although I do wonder if that hot air balloon ever did fly over The Crescent in Bath ;) 

I guess as the category is Heritage and Restoration and the judges comments "The formerly derelict canal is a gem of a restoration." make me feel that this image somehow created a train of thought invoking nostalgia for a canal the judge especially likes. 

Looking at his website he has a photo of a barrel vaulted cottage among his own collection 

http://www.waterwaysphotolibrary.com/#

The image that won is a composition that has been created using a computer. It has never been possible to take that photo.