Edgeware & Balham on The Stratford?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Just now, matty40s said:

It was an IWA competition so expect the rules to be something like...

1. Members only

2. Must be your own photograph.

3. No dirty CCers or tramp boats allowed.

Sounds fair to me ?

The key being the definition of “photograph”.

On 06/11/2020 at 20:27, john6767 said:

Back to this image, does anyone know the boat, it looks a rather nice boat to me.

The index number looks to be 502946, which does not tie into the boat name, but of course it could have been renamed since the last update to the boat listing, and paintwork does not look that old.  I guess I am just being very suspicious of these images now !

In 2017 it came to a rally that i organised so I can confirm that at that date it was called Gibson Beans. Mark who was / is the owner did explain the name but I have long since forgotten

Steve

On 05/11/2020 at 20:43, cheshire~rose said:

The reflections of the buildings are showing in the reflections of the boats - how can both be reflected at the same time? 

I have just scrolled through and showed Dave all these photos and he exclaimed (in a voice not dissimilar to Brian Blessed when he says "Gordon's Alive" )

"I say, the man's a charlaton I tell you" 

?

I think you're being a tad harsh there.

I've measured it up against Google Earth and using its "Measuring between two points tool"

So far as I can confirm, without fear of contraception this is a genuine photo of two 150ft narrow boats.

The two giants walking past the front ends have already noticed the butty's nearside is stoved in against the towpath.  Soon they'll acknowledge the two back ends occupy 20ft  of  water in width.

All plausible .... pr'bly

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Nigel - the photographer said:

Good morning to fellow critics 

The photo which is causing such constination is a composite, it complies to competition rules, as each component part has been recorded during 35 years and many thousands of miles taking photo's on our gorgeous waterways.

It is for sure a "marmite" photo, my idea was to create an image reflecting the restoration on one of my favourite canals, and as such is open to many eagle eyed viewers.

A few very bored members would have visited my Flickr site and seen a fair variety of photo ventures, a composite is just another genre.

I guess reaching everyone's approval is a big ask, true photographers know "you take photos for your own pleasure first".

Nigel

I'm also offended by the heavily photo shopped image of Zouch. The removal of the pylon and HV cables along with manipulation of the bridge railings etc detracts from what is a pleasant view. Pylons are part of our landscape why remove them? Out of interest were the dogs really on the counter of the boat or have you added them from elsewhere?

On 06/11/2020 at 22:19, john6767 said:

I was assuming Gibson Beans was the boat name, an American brand of baked beans.  However a boat built by Walsall Boat Builders would fit with the style of the shell, and 62ft looks about right.

Gibson Beans sure is a real boat (and crew) really nice people to boot.

Here they are approaching Sutton Stop to wind.

I'm the chubby old man in the 35 footer lining up for the lock and wondering what the buzzing noise is.

(21) Drone views of Hawkesbury junction - YouTube

16 hours ago, Nigel - the photographer said:

Good morning to fellow critics 

The photo which is causing such constination is a composite, it complies to competition rules, as each component part has been recorded during 35 years and many thousands of miles taking photo's on our gorgeous waterways.

It is for sure a "marmite" photo, my idea was to create an image reflecting the restoration on one of my favourite canals, and as such is open to many eagle eyed viewers.

A few very bored members would have visited my Flickr site and seen a fair variety of photo ventures, a composite is just another genre.

I guess reaching everyone's approval is a big ask, true photographers know "you take photos for your own pleasure first".

Nigel

Hello Nigel

Thanks for coming to give your side of the story. It certainly helps add some balance. 

While I can't speak for others my personal thoughts are that if an image that wins the category it did is so far removed from reality as it is and is within the boundaries of the competition rules then the rules need changing. 

Having said that this is an IWA competition and their views on the waterways are also often so far removed from reality they could be considered "composite" too. 

Art is subjective and people will always have opposing views depending on taste. Photography should, in my mind, be a form of documentary rather than a form of art unless the photographer sets out to deliberately create a piece of art. The dividing lines get very smudged when an image that is, by the authors own definition "a composite" wins a competition in a category that is designed to celebrate restoration (definition: the action of returning something to a former owner, place, or condition.) 

I am fascinated by your closing comment: If true photographers know "you take photos for your own pleasure first"  then does that mean that any photographer sharing their images publicly through platforms such as Flickr or entered in a public competition where the organisation has future rights to use that photograph in any way it sees fit isn't a true photographer? 

You have some great photos by the way. I wish I could learn the art of Photoshop because it can be a really useful tool. 

Now you have joined the forum I hope you will stay and regale us with tales from the thousands of canal miles you have travelled. You clearly have plenty of photos for illustration 

Meanwhile I bought my Christmas jigsaw from the flea market this week :)

20201215_042054.jpg

15 hours ago, john6767 said:

Thanks for coming on here and commenting. 

To me I would not have expected that a “cartoon” such as the original photograph on this thread, that does not reflect an actual waterway scene, would have been acceptable.  I suspect most others entering would have thought the same and that you would need to submit an actual photograph, not a digital painting which is a mirrored and edited composite of multiple photographs.

I would be interested in how the rules for a competition like this are framed, but I was unable to find them, do you have link to them?

I imagine the rules will be updated for next year.  My view is that adjustments such as filters, contrast etc should be allowed but no rearranging of the scene.  Or maybe a separate category for fully photoshopped images of narrowboats flying through the horsehead nebula.

11 hours ago, Richard T said:

I'm also offended by the heavily photo shopped image of Zouch. The removal of the pylon and HV cables along with manipulation of the bridge railings etc detracts from what is a pleasant view. Pylons are part of our landscape why remove them? Out of interest were the dogs really on the counter of the boat or have you added them from elsewhere?

It's because he's dropped in a more dramatic sky, its easier to wipe out thin fiddly elements than to keep them in place, especially if you don't have a high enough resolution original image to preserve clean, crisp edges. you also run the risk of leaving a "halo" of a different colour if you're lazy with your masking, a good telltale if there's a subject with wispy or curly hair.

I'd guess the rails were removed to balance the image as they only appear on one side of the bridge. you can also tell the sky has been replaced where it has been fluffed and blurred around the tree branches.

Hi to Matty40's

Replying about the Bugbrooke reef photo comments, you are so correct. I was at the front of my boat taking this photo when all of a sudden the bow of this boat rose out of the water like an Orca, it scared the devil out of my wife who was on the tiller, and yes I missed the shot.

Nigel

• Greenie 1

For those who care,

Here are the original photo's, the Tarrdebigge was filling with water at Gas Street, the Gibson Beans was on the cut at Zouch and I was leaning off the side of my boat to get the shot as he passed by, for the more astute of my critics the sky & pylons were changed for a more pleasing photo (in my opinion).

I'm loving the publicity of my work - good or bad.

Nigel - the photographer

Avon & Severn Ring 2017-577.jpg

Leicester ring-164.jpg

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Nigel - the photographer said:

For those who care,

Here are the original photo's, the Tarrdebigge was filling with water at Gas Street, the Gibson Beans was on the cut at Zouch and I was leaning off the side of my boat to get the shot as he passed by, for the more astute of my critics the sky & pylons were changed for a more pleasing photo (in my opinion).

Nigel - the photographer

Thank you Nigel. I'm glad that you are not offended by people's personal opinions !. For what it's worth, I think your original photos are excellent and don't need to be manipulated to win a competition !

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Nigel - the photographer said:

For those who care,

Nigel - the photographer

Avon & Severn Ring 2017-577.jpg

I have always thought that is a lovely little boat

15 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Hello Nigel

Thanks for coming to give your side of the story. It certainly helps add some balance. 

While I can't speak for others my personal thoughts are that if an image that wins the category it did is so far removed from reality as it is and is within the boundaries of the competition rules then the rules need changing. 

Having said that this is an IWA competition and their views on the waterways are also often so far removed from reality they could be considered "composite" too. 

Art is subjective and people will always have opposing views depending on taste. Photography should, in my mind, be a form of documentary rather than a form of art unless the photographer sets out to deliberately create a piece of art. The dividing lines get very smudged when an image that is, by the authors own definition "a composite" wins a competition in a category that is designed to celebrate restoration (definition: the action of returning something to a former owner, place, or condition.) 

I am fascinated by your closing comment: If true photographers know "you take photos for your own pleasure first"  then does that mean that any photographer sharing their images publicly through platforms such as Flickr or entered in a public competition where the organisation has future rights to use that photograph in any way it sees fit isn't a true photographer? 

You have some great photos by the way. I wish I could learn the art of Photoshop because it can be a really useful tool. 

Now you have joined the forum I hope you will stay and regale us with tales from the thousands of canal miles you have travelled. You clearly have plenty of photos for illustration 

Meanwhile I bought my Christmas jigsaw from the flea market this week :)

20201215_042054.jpg

I've just finished that one ! (Charity shop buy).