Edgeware & Balham on The Stratford?

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, I did search and couldn't see anything. 

The winners of the 2020 IWA photography competition have been announced here:

https://www.waterways.org.uk/about-us/news/2020-iwa-photography-competition-winners

The winner of the heritage and restoration category shows a pair of historic boats looking very much in need of some restoration "moored" in front of a barrel vaulted lock cottage on The Stratford Canal.

The image doesn't ring true to me, I can't see any mooring lines to start with but the motor (which was suggested to me is Edgeware?) looks the wrong scale against the size of the cottage? 

Is it just me looking at it wrong? Has this image been made up by stitching together two different photos? 

49919017548_5e4faf1fd0_k-1024x732.jpg

Oh and well done Tim Lewis on your winning photo!

• Horror 1

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Looks like it to me. And if I'm not mistaken, the background is a mirror image of Dick's Lane bridge and cottage.

I think you could be correct:

DSC_4330a%2BDick%2527s%2BLane%2BBridge%2BLock%2Band%2BCottage.jpg

Photo credit to James Bell from his blog 

http://nbgabriel.blogspot.com/2015/08/kingswood-junction-to-wootton-wawen.html

Do these two boats have a usual mooring where they might be captured on camera? 

39 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

The image doesn't ring true to me, I can't see any mooring lines to start with but the motor (which was suggested to me is Edgeware?) looks the wrong scale against the size of the cottage? 

Is it just me looking at it wrong? Has this image been made up by stitching together two different photos?

The shadows are all wrong too.  Look at the angle of shadow cast by the cottage, then look at the shadows cast by bits of the boats.

Worse fake than the moon landings! :D

18 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Do these two boats have a usual mooring where they might be captured on camera? 

For years these two were moored on the GU towpath at Nether Heyford. They have recently been acquired by Michael Pinnock and they are now both undergoing repairs at South Island Marina on the Lee.

Edited by David Mack

The comments on the photo:

Nice overall photo quality.

It could have found a home in a waterways archive from 60 years ago. The two old working boats sit in front of a traditional Stratford Canal barrel-roofed cottage.

The formerly derelict canal is a gem of a restoration.

So we appear to have two images stitched together in such a way as the "formerly derelict canal" has been restored as a mirror image :) 

My own personal opinion is that while it is perfectly acceptable to crop a photo or erase some small thing that detracts (a CRT sign or a piece of litter for example) or even make slight adjustments to the light/exposure to enter a photography competition with what can only be described as a piece of digital design rather than a photograph that has been composed by the eye of the photographer seems a bit off. I am very surprised the blatantly obvious errors in the composition did not make this stick out to the judge 

By the way, this is not sour grapes - I had not entered anything myself!

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

The comments on the photo:

So we appear to have two images stitched together in such a way as the "formerly derelict canal" has been restored as a mirror image :) 

My own personal opinion is that while it is perfectly acceptable to crop a photo or erase some small thing that detracts (a CRT sign or a piece of litter for example) or even make slight adjustments to the light/exposure to enter a photography competition with what can only be described as a piece of digital design rather than a photograph that has been composed by the eye of the photographer seems a bit off. I am very surprised the blatantly obvious errors in the composition did not make this stick out to the judge 

By the way, this is not sour grapes - I had not entered anything myself!

Very much my thoughts.

Although it does depend on the competition rules how much digital editing is permitted.

14 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

They are shown on the GU on this blog:

https://nbburntoak.blogspot.com/2017/10/on-familiar-waters.html?m=1

And on Google maps here:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RLCvycbWxN7fdaMK9

3 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

They are shown on the GU on this blog:

https://nbburntoak.blogspot.com/2017/10/on-familiar-waters.html?m=1

I am glad they are with someone who is likely to be giving them the TLC they deserve 

You can even see the cobweb between the motor and the butty

I am personally not keen on such digital artwork, if that what it is. Whilst painters have been engaged in such practices for a long time, there is a certain uneasiness here with a suggestion of changing locations to look better in a composition.

I wonder what William Whitmore would think of the view, if he was still allve.

4 minutes ago, Heartland said:

I am personally not keen on such digital artwork, if that what it is. Whilst painters have been engaged in such practices for a long time, there is a certain uneasiness here with a suggestion of changing locations to look better in a composition.

I wonder what William Whitmore would think of the view, if he was still allve.

I wonder what the IWA judges think now its been pointed out

4 hours ago, canalboat said:

You would be very very lucky to get one boat like that through the poorly maintained very tight locks on the South Stratford, let alone two.

They are town classes. The problems dont  start until Wilmcote other than depth. At Wilmcote you have to dismiss the volunteers and work in a careful sequence.

How to get through in a town class is contained in the notes in my 1980 nicholsons.

It was last updated in August this year!

I really thought that was a very good painting at first of the type seen on 'Narrow Boat' covers. But the overwhelming feeling is one of photoshopping.

And what are the diamond shaped plates doing? Warning of a weight restriction to traffic and 'Locomotives'? On a horse accommodation bridge?

Smacks of fraudulence to me.

18 minutes ago, canalboat said:

When did the last Town class Woolwich to get through even the first three locks going South on the South Stratford?

And what boat was it please? 

We were there in August.

We turned at Wilmcote, didnt want to go into Stratford.  ( Covid) Last time we were there on the boat was 2017

We got stuck on the rubbish in the bridge below the new marina, that was our only big stick

The photo is an obvious fake and a poor one at that, the difference in scale between the boats and the house is obvious.

I took a loaded boat down the Stratford in 78 to the official opening of the Avon. Depth big problem but locks ok on the way back up ran out of water by Fluer d lys and stayed there a week.

8D623A82-E397-42C2-83E5-C1A0778C5D52.jpegApologies for quality.

Edited by Dav and Pen

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder what the IWA judges think now its been pointed out

They'll still like it I think.

It's a picture of a place that doesn't really exist except in the imagination, with two old boats that were not moored outside it.

Sounds ideal for the heritage and restoration category winner ...

• Haha 1