Cobblers Lock K+A

mark99

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I suspect that if there is a "right of access" to one house then historically it will be for both.

Unfortunately it's not. I've spoken to the owners in the past about the place (they brought it back from being a wreck). Lovely location if you can deal with it though.

An old bloke and his dog rented it from BW for a time, it was then sold by auction, I thought it would go for loads but I think it went for £100,000, I would maybe have got it myself if I had known. Since then it has been empty for many years with occasional activity and a fair bit of vandalism. Last time we passed (last year) there was a bit more activity. The photos are all of the canal so my guess is its still a wreck inside, so somebody is going to make a tidy profit for doing not much.

I believe there is no road access. I wonder if there is any chance of getting a mooring?....I expect not as its too close to the lock. Hungerford Marina is maybe getting built almost next door which will change this very quiet bit of the canal but not sure if this changes the value of this house. It looks expensive to me but Russell Marshall is the local estate agent and has years of experience at valuing Hungerford houses.

................Dave

7 minutes ago, mark99 said:

A forum member in here stated his dad owned it. 2018.

I suspect it has changed hands a few times since the CRT/BW auction, hence the periods of sporadic activity, but I really don't know.

This suggests it was first sold in 2010:

http://kacanaltimes.blogspot.com/2010/10/cobblers-lock-cottage-on-k-for-auction.html

and also this:

http://kacanaltimes.blogspot.com/2011/05/cobblers-lock-cottage-fetches-186000.html

possibly many owners but none has really done anything with it.

..................Dave