Jump to content

November Lockdown (Two threads merged)


Featured Posts

42 minutes ago, Jerra said:

What about the New Scientist do you call that a rag as well?

 

EDIT to add what is wrong with a rethink about how we live.   Long past time in the opinion of many.

The same people pushing the great reset are the same people pushing the fourth industrial revolution, a world where humanity and AI are merged and the lines between what's real and what's artificial are blurred.

These people are The World Economic Forum.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rickent said:

The same people pushing the great reset are the same people pushing the fourth industrial revolution, a world where humanity and AI are merged and the lines between what's real and what's artificial are blurred.

... which seems to be an accepted part of UK Government Policy.

 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/regulation-for-the-fourth-industrial-revolution/regulation-for-the-fourth-industrial-revolution

 

"Technological breakthroughs in areas from artificial intelligence to biotechnologies are now heralding a Fourth Industrial Revolution, with the power to reshape almost every sector in every country. Our Industrial Strategy positions the UK to make the most of this global transformation."

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, matty40s said:

You were doing well until you got to this bit. Sweden is now struggling, deaths and cases far higher than any of their Scandanavian neighbours, their hospitals are going to teach saturation within weeks. Chances are, they will have to have a proper lockdown this time.

just looked at the excess mortality for Sweden up to week 44 and unless I am seriously missing something they look pretty normal.

The shaded grey is normal, dotted black line is the baseline.

Screenshot_20201101-173005_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Rickent
  • Unimpressed 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rickent said:

just looked at the excess mortality for Sweden up to week 44 and unless I am seriously missing something they look pretty normal.

The shaded grey is normal, dotted black line is the baseline.

Screenshot_20201101-173005_Samsung Internet.jpg

Nevertheless, they seem concerned, for example in Stockholm:

 

https://www.sll.se/nyheter-stockholms-lans-landsting/2020/10/beslut-om-skarpta-allmanna-rad-i-stockholms-lan/

 

Decision on stricter general advice in Stockholm County

Published: 10/29/2020

The Swedish Public Health Agency has, after consultation with the acting infection control physician in the Stockholm Region, decided on stricter general advice for Stockholm County. The decision applies from today and three weeks ahead.

As in some other parts of the country, the number of cases of covid-19 has increased rapidly in Stockholm County. Patients with covid-19 who are so ill that they are now in need of hospital care have also increased sharply in the past week. Since last week, the number of diagnosed cases of covid-19 has increased by almost 80 percent and the number of covid-19 patients in need of hospital care has increased by about 60 percent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, alias said:

Nevertheless, they seem concerned, for example in Stockholm:

 

https://www.sll.se/nyheter-stockholms-lans-landsting/2020/10/beslut-om-skarpta-allmanna-rad-i-stockholms-lan/

 

Decision on stricter general advice in Stockholm County

Published: 10/29/2020

The Swedish Public Health Agency has, after consultation with the acting infection control physician in the Stockholm Region, decided on stricter general advice for Stockholm County. The decision applies from today and three weeks ahead.

As in some other parts of the country, the number of cases of covid-19 has increased rapidly in Stockholm County. Patients with covid-19 who are so ill that they are now in need of hospital care have also increased sharply in the past week. Since last week, the number of diagnosed cases of covid-19 has increased by almost 80 percent and the number of covid-19 patients in need of hospital care has increased by about 60 percent.

Are the hospitals any busier than at the same time in previous years, that is what counts as well as excess mortality, they may well be, and if so they are right to be concerned. 

The seasonality increase has to be taken into account. 

Edited by Rickent
Link to post
Share on other sites

So yesterday and today we have been shopping for a home office for Jayne, yesterday we gave up with Argos as everything seemed sold out! We did order a monitor though, we ended up in IKEA which was stripped bare as well but managed to sort stuff out, 3rd choice of chair though and second on a desk system 

 Anyway its assembly time on Tuesday ready for her home working, luckily she put virgin cable in last week so internet speeds are very fast 

Link to post
Share on other sites

After this scare is over I think the deaths caused by poor cancer treatment, non existant mental heath care and other 'curable illness' will match or exceed the deaths directly due to covid, not including covid as a secondary factor many of which would have occured anyway.  As an Ex teacher it is not just the kids who pass bugs, but the parent/carers crowding round and chatting at the gate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Lockdown will not just be November ;)

Press reports  (Ch4 news) tonight it may well be extended through December

They can't stop everyone descending  on shops en mass first week of December, and then the supersurge on the week to ten days before xmas, the public will revolt!

I am going to have my turkey dinner rehearsal this Thursday, post out santa socks to all concerned and buy a box of best red, a  decent bottle or three of white, cranberry sauce in a jar, and a pheasant as a bronze turkey substitute. There will be brussel sprouts, gravy, fancy carrots and chestnuts.

It very much looks as though I will be hanging Arthur's Santa Sock up on christmas eve on the boat. It's really hard trying to hide his catnip banana, I might look for a catnip mouse with internal bell this year.

Yes quite excited already, I usually buy myself something special, just in case incoming presents include a microwave hot water bottle, a Damart cardigan and such like..... Last year I got a blingy thingy for hanging my handbag on when I 'lunch with the ladies', that won't be happening this year either 🤒

I might be asking for diesel,  coal, and logs!

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

My understanding is that no teachers have died so far. Most of them are well under 60 so the risks for them are greatly reduced. They are doing a cracking jonb and I hope that will continue to be the case. We still need people to be able to go to work.

 

I accept that my point of view was flawed in so far as children can be immune but still help to spread the epidemic.

Unfortunately a teacher did die of COVID, back in March, in Barrow in Furness.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LadyG said:

T

Yes quite excited already, I usually buy myself something special, just in case incoming presents include a microwave hot water bottle, a Damart cardigan and such like..... Last year I got a blingy thingy for hanging my handbag on when I 'lunch with the ladies', that won't be happening this year either 🤒

I might be asking for diesel,  coal, and logs!

We don't make a big fuss about Christmas although I will cook a turkey dinner (just for 2 of us!)  because I enjoy doing it, but last year Santa brought me a superb present - a Go Windlass! It has made locking so much easier this year!

 

haggis

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rickent said:

Are the hospitals any busier than at the same time in previous years, that is what counts as well as excess mortality, they may well be, and if so they are right to be concerned. 

The seasonality increase has to be taken into account. 

Found no hospital data but this cropped up: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-30/sweden-hits-highest-daily-coronavirus-case-number/12829990

Sweden hits highest daily COVID-19 spread as chief epidemiologist says herd immunity not 'ethically justifiable'

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alias said:

Found no hospital data but this cropped up: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-30/sweden-hits-highest-daily-coronavirus-case-number/12829990

Sweden hits highest daily COVID-19 spread as chief epidemiologist says herd immunity not 'ethically justifiable'

Hospitals in Sheffield are cancelling operations so according to Mags its staff off on the sick causing some of the issues, bring on the fast tests I suspect to get staff back into work 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed this article... apologies if it's already been posted

 

https://canalrivertrust.org.

Quote

Our response to coronavirus

In these unprecedented times we are supporting the national effort to keep everyone safe, while making sure people still have the opportunity to gain the mental and physical benefits of being by the water.

As the Government has announced that, in England, from Thursday 5 November, non-essential travel should be avoided, and overnight stays limited to work purposes only, we are advising boat licence holders to restrict your movement and not to stay overnight on your boat unless it is your primary residence from Thursday. 

Boat licence terms & conditions regarding movement every 14 days will be suspended for the 4 week period from Thursday until 2 December when these restrictions are due to come to an end. 

We're currently updating our FAQs about coronavirus, which we will publish on Monday 2 November.   

The Welsh Government introduced a two-week lockdown from 23 October: take a look at our FAQs for more information.

We will keep the situation under active review and update you in line with changing circumstances and government guidance. Please refer to the government guidance for England and Wales for more information.

uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

No surprise Jen is it? 

Totally expected, it's just confirmation. 

 

My husband goes to ozzy to have a pacemaker fitted on Wednesday, and he's got to take it easy for 3 or 4 weeks, so the lockdown works just fine for us. 

Edited by Jennifer McM
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Totally expected, it's just confirmation. 

 

My husband goes to ozzy to have a pacemaker fitted on Wednesday, and he's got to take it easy for 3 or 4 weeks, so the lockdown works just fine for us. 

I hope all goes well.  A quite time at home should be just right..

 

In general coping with these restrictions/lockdowns is a state of mind and attitude.  It works best when you concentrate on what one can do and turn it to ones advantage.

  • Greenie 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, churchward said:

I hope all goes well.  A quite time at home should be just right..

 

In general coping with these restrictions/lockdowns is a state of mind and attitude.  It works best when you concentrate on what one can do and turn it to ones advantage.

Thank you!

 

Absolutely agree about concentrating on something, I've been storing and gathering material for things we've been wanting to do for probably years. Eg: got loads of different paint and a good instruction book for having a go at canal art.

 

This lockdown is different, longer/darker nights, and maybe not so much good weather - just got to keep our minds occupied 😄

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Presently I'm reading a lot about Article 61 of the Magna Carta, there's a FB group on it https://www.facebook.com/groups/754338414949984/?ref=share 

 

It's above my head, but..... BIG BUT.... if I were told to close down my business of which I've funded it through mortgaging my home, and knowing the lockdown would kill it, think I'd be looking closely into Article 61.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.