November Lockdown (Two threads merged)

matty40s

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

First 4 o clock, then 5, now all but 7pm.

Am I the only person thinking Bojo is waiting while 19:00 so that 'Strictly' can be posponed for him?

At least they had the decency to wait until the England match finished

5 hours ago, Athy said:

Luckily, we decided to say goodbye to Trojan for the winter earlier this month. So all the water drained out, cupboard doors left open, dehumidifiers in place, and a nice warm blanket over the engine. The timing was to fit in with a change in Mrs. Athy's work patterns rather than because of any premonition of a lock-down, but it looks as if it's worked out well.

Ill cast my eyes over her when I cycle past on my exercise sessions and pm you if there is any problem.?We get down that way at least once a week.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, john6767 said:

At least they had the decency to wait until the England match finished

They weren't watching the match..............

................were they?

:unsure:

59 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If you are on hook up leave some oil filled heaters through the boat, we use 2/3 depending on how we feel and weather forecast if we go away overnight or so. Will cost about twenty quid a week tops to save your ££££££££££££££££££££££££££ investment from getting damp/mould/mildew etc etc.

Do NOT cover with tarpaulin.

I have 2 off 6 foot 375w greenhouse tube heaters, one placed down each side of the engine room.

They come on (no thermostat) on timers, alternate hours, during the evening, overnight and into the morning, a total of 13 hours per day, temperature gets quite 'comfortably high'.

Cost equates to £1.04 per day.

A lot cheaper than a new calorifier, engine etc.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We don't drain anything down. We leave the boat with three tube heaters in. A big one in the engine bay and smaller ones in the shower room and cabin.

Have done this for 12 winters now and not had a problem.

We stick a couple of Aero 360 moisture traps in the cabin and that's about it.

Mine gets left on a farm mooring, no shore power. I usually leave the hopper windows open for ventilation but can't this year as the mink get in! I just drain the water heater and leave taps open, put a bit of cover over the cruiser deck and go and check the poor old thing every few weeks.

I am presuming even in the part lockdown I can still do that, though will check and if not it should be OK for a month anyway.

All the soft furnishings get a bit manky but they'll dry out quick enough in spring, should I live to see it (If i don't, it becomes someone else's problem). Books and bedding come off this week.

22 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

They weren't watching the match..............

................were they?

Of course they were, you have to get your priorities right

Seems the marina will be going back into lockdown again on Thursday, some moorers have already been told they should head home. Once again I be back on the damm camp bed again in the office, if I want to hang on to my job. According to a report in the Guardian, 16 million jobs are at risk along with 6 million small businesses. Covid leaves 6m UK small businesses and 16m jobs in 'precarious position' . The big tax avioding online traders like 'Amazon' will be laughing all the way to the bank. While other traders who depend on footfall are shut up in this the  busiest time of year for them. 

I didn't bother to watch, I'm on my boat, all I need is diesel and food: Pub lunch again tomorrow (the locals just ignore the expensive menu and order what they want).

Did the Boris explain why lockdown will work this time, and why it did not go according to plan last semester?

26 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I am presuming even in the part lockdown I can still do that, though will check and if not it should be OK for a month anyway.

You are specifically allowed to leave home for "exercise and recreation outdoors" according to the PM.

So let's wait and see how CRT translate that ...

30 minutes ago, LadyG said:

< snip >

Did the Boris explain why lockdown will work this time, and why it did not go according to plan last semester?

Of course.

Because schools and universities (NB not unis, ugh!) will stay open.

So of course it will work this time, won't it?

Edited by Victor Vectis

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have 2 off 6 foot 375w greenhouse tube heaters, one placed down each side of the engine room.

They come on (no thermostat) on timers, alternate hours, during the evening, overnight and into the morning, a total of 13 hours per day, temperature gets quite 'comfortably high'.

Cost equates to £1.04 per day.

A lot cheaper than a new calorifier, engine etc.

That sounds good, and a cheap and convenient way for your needs with a water cooled engine.

I have an air cooled engine and can easily drain down the fresh water system. So I am thinking that a de-humidifier might be more beneficial and cost effective than heaters? I just want to prevent water damage and mould from condensation etc. I have access to a landline at 12 pence per KW/hr.

3 minutes ago, PhilR said:

That sounds good, and a cheap and convenient way for your needs with a water cooled engine.

I have an air cooled engine and can easily drain down the fresh water system. So I am thinking that a de-humidifier might be more beneficial and cost effective than heaters? I just want to prevent water damage and mould from condensation etc. I have access to a landline at 12 pence per KW/hr.

Water cooled engines (at least keel-cooled) should use antifreeze, so they shouldn't be a problem.

MP.

I think it might flatten the curve long enough for a vaccine to arrive, maybe! Universities aren't a problem in my book. Kids sharing it at school are but I'm not an advocate of closing schools, Hopefully school kids will have achieved herd immunity before too long

28 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I didn't bother to watch, I'm on my boat, all I need is diesel and food: Pub lunch again tomorrow (the locals just ignore the expensive menu and order what they want).

Well done Lady G. We are also supporting local pubs most days. hopefuly some will survive when they re open.

2 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I think it might flatten the curve long enough for a vaccine to arrive, maybe! Universities aren't a problem in my book. Kids sharing it at school are but I'm not an advocate of closing schools, Hopefully school kids will have achieved herd immunity before too long

At the expense of the teachers?

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Hopefully school kids will have achieved herd immunity before too long

Does not compute. Herd immunity is the reduction of R well below one, because a large proportion of the population are immune. Having most of the school kids immune only reduces R if they never come in contact with any other sectors of the population. Since they do have contact with at least parents and teachers, you can't induce herd immunity just be infecting all the school kids. Chains of infection starting in children will spread out and progress in the wider community.

MP.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Teachers unions and University lecturers are demanding that schools be closed and all teaching goes on-line.

They cant do that, must keep schools open for certain parents kids like last time.

• Greenie 1