November Lockdown (Two threads merged)

matty40s

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Athy said:

Do you mean that you don't think the Telegraph is trustworthy? When I used to read daily papers, I always found it a good source of news.

It used to be ok, years ago, now the Torygraph just recycles what the tory party says it should.

• Happy 1

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

"Alleged", but of course not true in the slightest although, in common with most people, I like some things more than I like other things; don't you? For example, following cricket suits me, but following horse racing doesn't, so I ignore horse racing. So I wouldn't be so uncharitable as to say that you are "completely wrong".

I must say that I'm no longer sure that I like the Telegraph at the moment: since I looked at their predictions regarding lock-downs, they have changed their story!

Your alleged charity is irrelevant surely, as only Tonka can say if I have interpreted his post correctly or not?

BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg warned "three crucial differences" will apply to any new UK-wide lockdown the Government may impose to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

The BBC's political editor said a series of confidential documents have suggested the Government was considering the imposition of a new national lockdown due to the ongoing resurgence of coronavirus cases. Laura Kuenssberg warned the new restrictions could be announced as early as Monday but noted Boris Johnson will adopt "three crucial differences" from March's lockdown. Speaking to the Today programme, Ms Kuennsberg said: "They do consider this as serious as the first stay at home moment we all remember from back in March"There would however be three crucial differences. One, schools, universities and colleges would be able to stay open under this.

That's a crucial difference to millions of families hearing this news this morning.

"There is a mass acceleration of testing that Downing Street basically hopes to bring in and throw everything at it to get to a situation where millions and millions of tests are being carried out on a daily basis.

"And as I understand right now, they're looking at a month...the first time we went into this king of tight restrictions on our lives, there was no endpoint."

Ms Kuenssberg continued: "What Downing Street is looking at now is a 28-day order that would take us through the month of November.

"But Boris Johnson has the power to extend this instruction for England only, it's not entirely clear what that means for the rest of the UK.

"Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland are already living under tighter restrictions so we can't assume the devolved administrations would do exactly as the Prime Minister."

Speculation about a new lockdown arose after both Emmanuel Macron ordered a complete freeze across France and Angela Merkel introduces a new series of stricter containment measures.

Dont forget....Matt Poppycock promises it will be done correctly....

"

New Government commitment

On Wednesday 30 September, Matt Hancock (Health Secretary) promised the Commons that “for significant national measures with effect in the whole of England or UK-wide” the Government would (a) consult parliament and (b) hold votes (wherever possible) before regulations come into force. He also promised that there would be regular statements and debates in parliament, and more opportunity for parliament to question government scientific advisors."

Lie, politicians never lie, unless they open their mouths 

Emergency announcement today, with it starting possible Monday, latest Wednesday.

The ridiculous thing is, leaving the schools, colleges and Universitys open.....the main transmission area over the whole country.

Like having a blackout in WW2 but leaving all  the kids night lights on because they are afraid of the dark.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 2

This shouldn't be in the political section, it is about boating(obviously with a little political discussion). 

Boaters need to know about restrictions to what they can and cant do, not many people realised that CRT have already said boaters in Tier3 should not be moving. Boaters need to know where services are available, and which marinas are only letting their own moorers use facilities etc.

Back to general boating please.

2 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Just as the Grauniad is known for its typographical errors the Telegraph is known for reporting news late. I used to buy the Telegraph on a Saturday only to find it contained the same "news" as Friday's Times. 

The Guardian does seem to have a hell of a lot of glass half empty readers from what I can see on this forum.

With the impending national lockdown likely to be announced this afternoon I think I might visit the boat this afternoon and prepare it for winter in case we can't get back to it for a couple of months. A bit of a pain when it is a couple of hours from home but would rather have the heaters plugged in and set to 5° than not get a chance to go and plug them in before any cold snap sets in.

• Greenie 1

Luckily, we decided to say goodbye to Trojan for the winter earlier this month. So all the water drained out, cupboard doors left open, dehumidifiers in place, and a nice warm blanket over the engine. The timing was to fit in with a change in Mrs. Athy's work patterns rather than because of any premonition of a lock-down, but it looks as if it's worked out well.

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

its going to freeze like 2010 from end November anyway (SuperNina)

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/weather-news/5445/uk-winter-2020-21-weather

At the moment there isn't a conclusive signal for winter 2020-21 but the seasonal models are quite bullish about it being milder and wetter than average.

The prospects for the QBO and NAO are uncertain. On balance they do very little to suggest an increased chance of a cold winter.

The possibility of a weak La Nina may be a factor which increases the likelihood of a colder winter. The same is true of the phase of solar cycle 25. Nonetheless, both of these factors are tenuous at best.    

Recent climatology favours milder conditions. The last two winters have both delivered big positive temperature anomalies with little snow in most lowland parts of the UK. Through 2020 warmer than average months have been a lot more frequent than cooler ones.  

Taking the above into account the initial TWO view is that the chance of a milder season is higher than average.

Regular updates will be issued before the TWO winter forecast is released at the end of November.

Rather fortuitously Wales went into lockdown last week so we got be boat winterised, fridge & freezer defrosted and washed out, pipes drained, the engine room heaters switched on and £150 fed into the bollard. Should see us thru' to March at £1.04 day.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

What a ridiculous time to anounce this, don’t they know is the conclusion of the six nations today.  

We were planning on going out on the boat on Tuesday, but instead we will go and winterise it tomorrow, on the assumption lockdown will start at midnight Sunday.  If it is today we are toast.

13 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/weather-news/5445/uk-winter-2020-21-weather

At the moment there isn't a conclusive signal for winter 2020-21 but the seasonal models are quite bullish about it being milder and wetter than average.

The prospects for the QBO and NAO are uncertain. On balance they do very little to suggest an increased chance of a cold winter.

The possibility of a weak La Nina may be a factor which increases the likelihood of a colder winter. The same is true of the phase of solar cycle 25. Nonetheless, both of these factors are tenuous at best.    

Recent climatology favours milder conditions. The last two winters have both delivered big positive temperature anomalies with little snow in most lowland parts of the UK. Through 2020 warmer than average months have been a lot more frequent than cooler ones.  

Taking the above into account the initial TWO view is that the chance of a milder season is higher than average.

Regular updates will be issued before the TWO winter forecast is released at the end of November.

That can't be true. The Torygraph web site yesterday was saying it was going to be a winter of severe frosts and snow.