River Thames Advice

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Have you seen how much Le Boat charge for fuel? ;)

Doesn't seem to stop all the other Le Boat boats speeding though.  Basically not many cruisers stick to the speed limit at all, which can get a bit tedious sometimes and you don't half get thrown about by some of them.

22 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Doesn't seem to stop all the other Le Boat boats speeding though.  Basically not many cruisers stick to the speed limit at all, which can get a bit tedious sometimes and you don't half get thrown about by some of them.

I'm not surprised that the Le Boat hire boats are speeding. At £7 per hour of running you need to get where you are going ASAP and get the engine turned off.

Their fuel policy really is daylight robbery and encourages speeding.

We will be having the diesel heating on all the time the engine is running just to make sure we get the most of the fuel spend :)

We are used to being thown around by boats passing moorings too quickly so it won't really be any different to what we normally get.

On 01/11/2020 at 18:40, Detling said:

Cookham hasn't been mentioned lovely little village with several pubs if they have survived the lockdowns.

The King's Arms in Cookham is excellent. Don't bother going to the Ferry, which despite the nice waterfront location is overpriced, terrible service, food so-so and overrun with wasps.

I think on balance I'd go downstream from Benson. I can't get too excited about the Benson-Oxford stretch, although Abingdon is nice enough. Wallingford, Henley, Cookham, Windsor/Eton worth visiting (make sure to go to the brewery even if you don't fancy the castle), and the Cliveden reach is as nice as any on the Thames.

With a week to play with I'd go downstream, turn at Windsor (not worth going beyond there IMO with the time available), then head back and if you have time go up to Abingdon.

Oh, and don't expect anything from Maidenhead and Reading. Marlow on the other hand is nice enough.

• Greenie 2

Yes, Cookham is very pleasant 'but' the moorings will cost you a fiver (well worth it).

Mark you with things are going the wat that it is - expect proce hikes. You can moor in the fields upstream but I think they're charegeable as well.

Te problem is that there aren't always a lot of plcase to moor if you want 'facilities'.

If all you need is somewhere to just stop, then there's quite a large choice.

Unfortunately NC will be on a plastic boat so the mooring that has always been free when I have been on may notl not really be suitable because of the state of a concrete retaining wall. Its fine of narrowboats.

A few yards downstream of the Bourne End railway bridge/The Bounty pub at the start of Cockmarsh (NT) there is a concrete retaining wall that is falling outwards. I have often got a 54ft NB moored there and it has never been taken. Its a walk across Cockmarsh for Cookham or across the railway foot bridge for Bourne End.

13 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Unfortunately NC will be on a plastic boat so the mooring that has always been free when I have been on may notl not really be suitable because of the state of a concrete retaining wall. Its fine of narrowboats.

A few yards downstream of the Bourne End railway bridge/The Bounty pub at the start of Cockmarsh (NT) there is a concrete retaining wall that is falling outwards. I have often got a 54ft NB moored there and it has never been taken. Its a walk across Cockmarsh for Cookham or across the railway foot bridge for Bourne End.

Not our plastic boat though we will have a look ;)

14 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Yes, Cookham is very pleasant 'but' the moorings will cost you a fiver (well worth it).

Mark you with things are going the wat that it is - expect proce hikes. You can moor in the fields upstream but I think they're charegeable as well.

Te problem is that there aren't always a lot of plcase to moor if you want 'facilities'.

If all you need is somewhere to just stop, then there's quite a large choice.

We shouldn't really need any facilities as such. Just somewhere to plonk the boat for the night.

12 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Wot no need for a pub?

The Bounty at Bourne End is "interesting"

Mooring at the bounty can be pretty hard to come by. However there are some nice moorings a little further upstream at the end of the houses on the opposite bank, about 5 min walk to a pub called the spade oak which is quite decent (and more 'conventional' than the bounty).

9 minutes ago, phantom_iv said:

Mooring at the bounty can be pretty hard to come by. However there are some nice moorings a little further upstream at the end of the houses on the opposite bank, about 5 min walk to a pub called the spade oak which is quite decent (and more 'conventional' than the bounty).

For which you get charged i think.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

Wot no need for a pub?

The Bounty at Bourne End is "interesting"

One of my favourite pubs in all the land. Very welcoming and has clearly seen some fairly Bohemian times.

I turned up there with a couple of friends one evening shortly after the kitchen had closed. We ordered beers anyway and sat down to discuss the food situation, sensing our disappointment one of the bartenders brought us over a huge bowl of chips, saying that someone had "ordered them by mistake". Wouldn't take payment, but it gave us the necessary strength to carry on until closing time...

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...