Jp3 reduction box oil seal

sparrowcycles

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, DRP said:

I don't know if they kept a record, but I'll check with them.

Here is the horrible old seacock, and the  dissolved iron coupling flange . 

Ever felt you'd just dodged a bullet?

Thanks for checking. That looks like it might have been interesting...I take it you discovered it was that bad while you were on the slip??

Yes, I'd been intending to take the old gate valve apart, to sort out its failure to completely shut off the flow, and being on the slip seemed the ideal opportunity.

When I undid the plumbing, it just fell off!

Bearing in mind the Aire and Calder Navigation is deep enough to pass barges drawing more than 7 feet, We were glad (and lucky) to have made it to Knottingley.

I've already made the resolution to dismantle and reassemble the seacock every time we do a routine docking ,in future!

The new one should keep us afloat

Image 08-12-2020 at 09.46.jpg

5 hours ago, DRP said:

Yes, I'd been intending to take the old gate valve apart, to sort out its failure to completely shut off the flow, and being on the slip seemed the ideal opportunity.

When I undid the plumbing, it just fell off!

Bearing in mind the Aire and Calder Navigation is deep enough to pass barges drawing more than 7 feet, We were glad (and lucky) to have made it to Knottingley.

I've already made the resolution to dismantle and reassemble the seacock every time we do a routine docking ,in future!

The new one should keep us afloat

Would it be better to have it in DZR bronze or similar? or is there a good reason for it to be in steel/iron?....Its not a criticism more a question!

9 hours ago, frangar said:

Im happy to comment!....Do you know if the gasket company still have the designs for your gasket set on file? Roughly how much was it to get the set made?....Id be interested in a set of those too!

likewise, i just made my own but some 'real' ones wouldnt hurt!

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Would it be better to have it in DZR bronze or similar? or is there a good reason for it to be in steel/iron?....Its not a criticism more a question!

It is in a steel or iron hull, so any "better" solution needs to ensure that it does not transfer a corrosion wastage problem to the surrounding metalwork such as the flange bolts/rivets.

At present the bit that corroded away seems relatively easy to inspect and is easily replaced while on dock.  I daresay that if excrement ever came to air conditioning it could be renewed while in the water.

A small anode nearby might be a good idea though.

N

I suspect back in the mists of time, an iron connector was used because it was cheap from a plumber's merchant.

As the least "noble" of the metals round there, its demise was probably predictable to those with a chemical turn of mind.

I've played safe, and used marine grade bronze connectors and ball valve, although I think DZR would have done.

I'm very much hoping these will see me out, but I'll be checking at each docking in future.

(Since this discovery, I've been told that inspection and dismantling of seacocks is a requirement in certification and recertification of commercial and passenger vessels - good thing too!)

Sorry, forgot to mention that the flange itself was OK.Although it looks rusty in the enlarged photo, once cleaned up it looks to be a yellowish metal so I'm guessing it's bronze. The old seacock and strainer certainly are, so the connector was iron caught between two bronze fittings.

Edited by DRP
forgot to include a point